Lazy Eight Mk III

I started designing a new plane it's a simple balsa built-up 3D style. Right now I'm calling it Stagger but I thought about Que so if you have a name throw it out there. It has a built-up structure for the wings, ailerons, vstab, and hstab. It also has a built-up center section with servos and wires. It will have servos for the hstab and vstab but I haven't added them yet. I'm not sure what power plant to use so you can throw out some opinions on that too. I've already modeled a 2-Stroke, 4-Stroke, Desert Aircraft Twin, Desert Aircraft Single, and an Electric motor so I can put about anything on it using what I've already modeled. Right now it has a 100 inch wingspan but I might lower that a bit for this plane. Anyway I'm open to any thoughts you have before I go any further. I can't start a build thread for it before I decide on a name to use. Here's a couple of pictures for you.

How about the fool as you could fool around and do aerobatics with it. I love the lines of it

How about the fool as you could fool around and do aerobatics with it. I love the lines of it

Thanks. The Fool's a pretty good name for it. I chose Stagger because when you fly a 3d plane it flops around the sky like a drunk staggers as they walk.

asj5547

I have a question for you. After watching the launch of the new NVIDIA graphics cards I'm not sure they're for me. The main focus is ray-tracing and that's great but I just want to speed up RF-X I don't play any new 3D games anymore. So I have a question about your GTX 1080 if you don't mind. You mentioned something about wanting the GTX 1080 ti does the plain 1080 get bogged down some at times? That is if I bought one do you think I'd see areas it's not fast enough in?

I'm pretty heat conscious which is why the standard 1080 looks pretty good at only 180 watts instead of 225 like the 2080 or 260 like the 2080 ti. My system has slow fans and is nearly silent and I'd like to keep it that way. So if you don't mind let me know what you think about the 1080, you can pick one up pretty cheap right now compared to the 800 for the 2080 Founders edition. Thanks for your help on this.

I've read some stuff where they are saying the 2080 isn't any better or might even be worse if the software isn't made to use RTX tech. Several of the big games have already announced 2080 RTX versions. I tend to always buy used anymore. I don't mind being a step behind and don't play any fancy games. I have tons and tons of older games on CD/DVD I've downloaded and burned that I have never played. I'm sure those would run super on my current computer considering the tech they were made for. I don't like doing multiplayer competitive stuff either. I don't need the stress.

Last edited:
I've read some stuff where they are saying the 2080 isn't any better or might even be worse if the software isn't made to use RTX tech. Several of the big games have already announced 2080 RTX versions. I tend to always buy used anymore. I don't mind being a step behind and don't play any fancy games. I have tons and tons of older games on CD/DVD I've downloaded and burned that I have never played. I'm sure those would run super on my current computer considering the tech they were made for. I don't like doing multiplayer competitive stuff either. I don't need the stress.

I just saw that NVIDIA released some benchmarks comparing the 2080 to the 1080 in standard rasterized games and they show a 50% improvement at 4k. Of course I want to game at 1920x1200 so I still don't have that much to go on. Not everyone does 4k some of us are stuck in the stone age I guess. All I really want to do is Max out my FPS in RF-X so I don't see any slow downs at all. Right now I'm running at a reduced 1680x1050 and RF-X still shows that funny looking ghosting behind the plane if the frame rate falls below 60hz (which isn't very often but it does happen once in a while). So maybe I just need to bite the bullet and get the 2080. But none the less I think I'll wait and get the MSI 2080 they always make the quietest cards. Mine is extremely quiet even at a full gaming load. Of course it's only a 1070 so I think that's only 150 watts and the MSI 2080 goes up the 250 watts, yikes.

Onboard video card memory makes a big difference GTX1080 has 8 gbs with a memory speed of 10gbs
The GTX1080Ti has 11 gbs. onboard and memory speed 11gbs.

More memory and faster memory speed will display the frames quicker, your I7-6700 should not be a bottleneck.

Like I mentioned before I had a AMD Ryzen 5-1500X coupled to the GTX1080 and the frame rates were almost as good as the I7-8700 I replaced it with, I had to look very close to see any improvements between the AMD or Intel.

Onboard video card memory makes a big difference GTX1080 has 8 gbs with a memory speed of 10gbs
The GTX1080Ti has 11 gbs. onboard and memory speed 11gbs.

More memory and faster memory speed will display the frames quicker, your I7-6700 should not be a bottleneck.

Like I mentioned before I had a AMD Ryzen 5-1500X coupled to the GTX1080 and the frame rates were almost as good as the I7-8700 I replaced it with, I had to look very close to see any improvements between the AMD or Intel.

Thanks for the info. The GTX 1070 I have has 8 Gig of memory and it runs at 8Gbps with 1920 cuda cores so it has the same amount of memory as the 1080 but it runs slower and the 1080 has 2560 cuda cores too. Plus the 1080 runs at 1607 Mhz and the 1070 runs at 1506.

The only problem moving to the 2080 graphics card is the 225 watts from the 180 for the 1080. But I suppose the smart thing to do is bite the bullet and get one, especially if they the 2080 has 50% more power in older games than the 1080 has, that would be a very nice safety factor for flying RF-X that's for sure.

One thing that should be true if the 2080 isn't using any of the parts of it that calculates ray tracing that should lower the power demand so I would expect the 225 watts to be a bit lower in games that don't using ray tracing.

Thanks for the info. The GTX 1070 I have has 8 Gig of memory and it runs at 8Gbps with 1920 cuda cores so it has the same amount of memory as the 1080 but it runs slower and the 1080 has 2560 cuda cores too. Plus the 1080 runs at 1607 Mhz and the 1070 runs at 1506.

The only problem moving to the 2080 graphics card is the 225 watts from the 180 for the 1080. But I suppose the smart thing to do is bite the bullet and get one, especially if they the 2080 has 50% more power in older games than the 1080 has, that would be a very nice safety factor for flying RF-X that's for sure.

One thing that should be true if the 2080 isn't using any of the parts of it that calculates ray tracing that should lower the power demand so I would expect the 225 watts to be a bit lower in games that don't using ray tracing.

I intend to get a 2080 soon, but like you I am trying to find comparable data on the performance with games/simulators, I guess the 2080 is backwards compatible with software.

I intend to get a 2080 soon, but like you I am trying to find comparable data on the performance with games/simulators, I guess the 2080 is backwards compatible with software.

Yeah no doubt it's totally backwards compatible but I'm waiting to see what the real numbers are when they release some review cards. But from the slides nvidia released the 2080 is right at 50% faster than the 1080 in 4K games, but what does that mean for less demanding games. You must be very good with tech stuff since you build your own computers so you know about CPU and GPU dependencies. So on some games if they're very heavy on CPU usage the frame rate doesn't really change with more graphics horsepower. And like you found out on one of my planes after I added a collision mesh to it and your frame rate didn't change much. If the graphics card is pushing the frame rate as fast as the CPU can push it more graphics horsepower doesn't make a faster frame rate. I worked at two different 3d graphics card companies so I know this stuff pretty well I just ask opinions because I want to know what another persons thoughts are. But I'm glad you shared with me you plan on buying a 2080, which means to me you're thinking more graphics power is needed for RF-X than the 1080 is giving you. That pretty much seals it that I'll get the 2080. Thanks.

Last edited:
I suppose it's time for an update on the Lazy Eight Mk III. I went back and tweaked the dashboard again and I'm happy with it now. I had reduced the thickness of the dashboard frame by 50% and since the dashboard is at an angle that made the dashboard frame look thinner, which is what I wanted, but it was a bit thinner than I expected so I increased the thickness to 75% of the original and now it looks just right to me. I had also decreased the diameter of the stalk that goes from the floor to the steering wheel too much so I increased it just a bit too. I think I'm going to stop tweaking it now and release it, it seems to be just where I want it to be so it's time to move on to Stagger.

I've been working on Stagger too. After I resized it I realized I messed up because I selected the whole plane so all the servos were resized too and looked too large. So I had to go back and resize all of them. I also increased the length of the nose one inch, the area from the tip of the fuselage to the leading edge of the wing. So that looks a bit better than it did before. I actually like that plane a lot. I like sport planes and with all the bones showing it should be pretty nice when I finish it.

Last edited:
Could you maybe make the monokote covering on Stagger more transparent, so we can see the rib and spar details.

Could you maybe make the monokote covering on Stagger more transparent, so we can see the rib and spar details.

Yes you will definitely be able to see all the detail. I borrowed the wing and stabilizers from this plane but reworked them a bit. I also changed the fuselage completely. Here's what to expect the CS to look like the transparency on Stagger will be pretty much like this, maybe just a hint darker. Is that what you're talking about?

Attachments

• Modeltech Magic EP Burgundy 02.jpg
    Modeltech Magic EP Burgundy 02.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Yes you will definitely be able to see all the detail. I borrowed the wing and stabilizers from this plane but reworked them a bit. I also changed the fuselage completely. Here's what to expect the CS to look like the transparency on Stagger will be pretty much like this, maybe just a hint darker. Is that what you're talking about?

Definitely a bit darker/less transparent, or more color tint, just so we can see the bones. Should make a great sports aerobatics model. I am looking forward to this one, thanks Technoid.

Definitely a bit darker/less transparent, or more color tint, just so we can see the bones. Should make a great sports aerobatics model. I am looking forward to this one, thanks Technoid.

Yes that's what I was thinking too that plane was too transparent. Something where you definitely see the bones but has quite a bit of color to it. When the time comes feel free to help me with that with comments on the CS.

I love old school balsa :) I wish I still had my first plane. A Sig Kadet a guy upsized and built by hand. Plans were for a .40 but he made it a .60

I love old school balsa :) I wish I still had my first plane. A Sig Kadet a guy upsized and built by hand. Plans were for a .40 but he made it a .60

When I was flying my .40 sized Scat Cat the guy that worked at the Hobby Shop hand built a .60 size of it, that was so cool!

Saw this today and went hmmmm .. looks sorta familiar :)

38833d12-6ace-451f-b22d-e599d40bfb28.png

Back