Lockheed Starliner Build thread

legoman

With the Lockheed L-1649 Starliner winning the latest poll. The B-52 needs a few more pivots placed and painted and it is done. I still need to find a respectable three view(s) for the 1649. I have been dealing with exhaustion that takes a lot of my energy is why their has been a lack of progress on anything serious.

Good to hear about the Lockheed Legoman, get some rest, and get back too it when you`re feeling better. ;);) no rush.

I have not fully decided on a scale for the plane yet. the two I am leaning towards are
  • 1/8 with saito FG-60 3-cylinder radials
  • 1/6 with moki 180s with gear drives seen here

the saito just barely squeezes inside the cowl and may actually rub on the cowl which is fixable by oversizing a few percent. and the moki's gear drive May detract from the in cowl look which is subjective.

Please chime in if you have anything to say on the plane or the scale matter

At those spans, I (personally) would think the 1/8 scale should be just fine, we`ll see if anyone else chimes in. ;):D

Well I ended up doing the Realflight Clipper at 25 ft. but I will say that's LARGE but for some reason being a flying boat helped it to not seem so large. But the few times I flew it off of a normal runway (Sod Farm) it did seem really large and that's why this time I'm doing the DC-4 at 160 inches so it will be large but not giant. But I will say I really like the way the Realflight Clipper fly's, very smooth. But I wanted the DC-4 to be more like a normal RC plane, ha.. if a 160 inch wingspan can be a normal RC plane. Boy.. I bet that didn't help.

Giant aircraft don't really work in RealFlight. The physics on these aircraft are not great since it's designed to work with smaller aircraft and most of the runways are relatively short. Nobody likes seeing a model take up the entire field of view in multi-player either. I like large aircraft to have a wingspan of 8 ft and under.. Nobody is bringing a aircraft with a 25 ft wingspan to the field anyway to fly every weekend and the weight for an aircraft that size still needs to be under 55 lbs to be legal under the FAA laws or they require a special waiver and permit to fly. People seem to forget that this is a RC aircraft simulator....

Giant aircraft don't really work in RealFlight. The physics on these aircraft are not great since it's designed to work with smaller aircraft and most of the runways are relatively short. Nobody likes seeing a model take up the entire field of view in multi-player either. I like large aircraft to have a wingspan of 8 ft and under.. Nobody is bringing a aircraft with a 25 ft wingspan to the field anyway to fly every weekend and the weight for an aircraft that size still needs to be under 55 lbs to be legal under the FAA laws or they require a special waiver and permit to fly. People seem to forget that this is a RC aircraft simulator....

I'm curious what's the largest RC plane you fly (own) ?

I will say in Germany very large RC planes are fairly common. I actually prefer the larger planes in Real Flight ( not the giant ones ) because RF doesn't seem to display the scale very well, as in the plane must be really large to look large. Normal 40 sized planes definitely look too small to me. I prefer 8 to 10 ft. planes. I don't use RF to learn to fly and I suppose those that do should stick to the built-in aircraft so they know the physics is accurate.

legoman.. sorry to derail your thread.

I'm curious what's the largest RC plane you fly (own) ?

I will say in Germany very large RC planes are fairly common. I actually prefer the larger planes in Real Flight ( not the giant ones ) because RF doesn't seem to display the scale very well, as in the plane must be really large to look large. Normal 40 sized planes definitely look too small to me. I prefer 8 to 10 ft. planes. I don't use RF to learn to fly and I suppose those that do should stick to the built-in aircraft so they know the physics is accurate.

legoman.. sorry to derail your thread.

It fine I am going to derail it further. My largest plane is a 116 inch XCUB with a saito FG-61 motor it is still being built though.

starting the build

Here is some preliminary work on the plane

Attachments

• Lockheed starliner build pic 01.jpg
    Lockheed starliner build pic 01.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 19
  • Lockheed starliner build pic 02.jpg
    Lockheed starliner build pic 02.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 16
  • Lockheed starliner build pic 03.jpg
    Lockheed starliner build pic 03.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 11
  • Lockheed starliner build pic 04.jpg
    Lockheed starliner build pic 04.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 13
Off too a nice start, is there really that much dihedral in the wings ????

pretty much yes
attachment.php

Attachments

• 2019-08-09 11_00_15-Microsoft Edge.jpg
    2019-08-09 11_00_15-Microsoft Edge.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 319
Yeah, I decided too look it up after :eek: I asked, and I was surprised,..... I`ve seen many pics. of the starliner, just never gave that much attention too that feature.

More work

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Lockheed starliner build pic 06.jpg
    Lockheed starliner build pic 06.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 195
  • Lockheed starliner build pic 07.jpg
    Lockheed starliner build pic 07.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 197