Maj. Numbskully's Request A CS

Well, to be honest with you here, I may still make the model, but I'll take liberty on all decisions if I do. I don't take much time out of my day to do this, and I don't want to wait while I could be doing something. We all are busy with or own lives, and do this as a hobby. When we run into a snag, we ask for specific pics. We need them for a reason, especially for the CS portion. Why can't you take pics now? Don't you own this model? One of this caliber would be kept very near to me as I'm sure its well worth a few grand.

Saying it may take a while to get pics is a real deal breaker for must around here that still do this work.

Like you, not only do I have a life, and I also run my own mail order business that takes 15+ hours of each and every week day. Monday - Wednesday are my busiest days from all the weekend orders. I also have other forms of income that take my time and my kid has some kind of practice every day of the week after work.

You do realize that simply snapping pics of this ship isn't like throwing a .40 size trainer up on the table and grabbing the Polaroid? I mean honestly, I have to go over, hook up to the trailer, going to the storage unit where my larger planes are stored, pull out 4 or 5 planes to get to the Sukhoi, load it up, taking it somewhere to assemble it which takes 30 minutes, snap the photos and then repeat the process. To snap the photos you need will take me a couple hours. And honestly, with 1 computer down, package volume, 941 due by the 20th and everything else going on, I cannot get that down until later in the week. That is just the facts.

If it's too much trouble, then don't bother. But don't act like I don't want to participate or I have nothing else to do besides take photos. I have priorities, business first and EVERYTHING else after that.

And yes you are correct, it's worth a few grand. And then add another few grand after that.

I've got the physics tweaked based on the specs posted at Hangar 9.

Total weight 43.7# with a wing loading of 33.7oz/ft^2 and a stall speed of just over 32 MPH. Very stable and responsive, she flies like an IMAC and holds fairly well at any orientation (doing a beautiful eight-point roll). Tendency is to fall left in a stall at about 1/4 throttle. At full power, she has a thrust to weight of over 2:1, so can hover at about half throttle.

Taz, sorry to hear about your PC. I'm going to assume that the drive in question also hosted RealFlight, so you probably won't be able to check out an AV first hand for a bit. So let me know verbally about handling characteristics that may be different from above. By the way, I put an 48oz tank in her so if that's off say so.

Doug

Like you, not only do I have a life, and I also run my own mail order business that takes 15+ hours of each and every week day. Monday - Wednesday are my busiest days from all the weekend orders. I also have other forms of income that take my time and my kid has some kind of practice every day of the week after work.

You do realize that simply snapping pics of this ship isn't like throwing a .40 size trainer up on the table and grabbing the Polaroid? I mean honestly, I have to go over, hook up to the trailer, going to the storage unit where my larger planes are stored, pull out 4 or 5 planes to get to the Sukhoi, load it up, taking it somewhere to assemble it which takes 30 minutes, snap the photos and then repeat the process. To snap the photos you need will take me a couple hours. And honestly, with 1 computer down, package volume, 941 due by the 20th and everything else going on, I cannot get that down until later in the week. That is just the facts.

If it's too much trouble, then don't bother. But don't act like I don't want to participate or I have nothing else to do besides take photos. I have priorities, business first and EVERYTHING else after that.

And yes you are correct, it's worth a few grand. And then add another few grand after that.
Hey man, don't take it personally. I was just trying to ask a question and clarify my position. I just was trying to let you know that I was going to make the model, but I would use my judgment on any issue I came across. That is all. My last statement was just info for the future. Some guys will bail on a project if you say it'll take time.

Hey man, don't take it personally. I was just trying to ask a question and clarify my position. I just was trying to let you know that I was going to make the model, but I would use my judgment on any issue I came across. That is all. My last statement was just info for the future. Some guys will bail on a project if you say it'll take time.

My apologies, maybe I misunderstood your intentions. I am not bailing... just busy.

I've got the physics tweaked based on the specs posted at Hangar 9.

Total weight 43.7# with a wing loading of 33.7oz/ft^2 and a stall speed of just over 32 MPH. Very stable and responsive, she flies like an IMAC and holds fairly well at any orientation (doing a beautiful eight-point roll). Tendency is to fall left in a stall at about 1/4 throttle. At full power, she has a thrust to weight of over 2:1, so can hover at about half throttle.

Taz, sorry to hear about your PC. I'm going to assume that the drive in question also hosted RealFlight, so you probably won't be able to check out an AV first hand for a bit. So let me know verbally about handling characteristics that may be different from above. By the way, I put an 48oz tank in her so if that's off say so.

Doug

Doug,

The computer that was struck was not the one we have RF on. I would like to check the AV when it's available. I have never weighed her, but I'll bet those numbers are very close. If I had to guess, I'd have said 40-41lbs.

Thanks.

If I may throw in my own two cents, but does anyone with the Ep 7 AJ slick have the Orange CS and the new red CS? If so, could you re-upload it to the swaps or just Pm me the file? It is greatly appreciated.

OK Taz,

Since you still have RF available, give this a test flight and let me know what you think.

I added a bit to the weight posted on H9's web site, figuring most IMAC pilots install redundant electronics and I also accounted for a smoke pump.

Last edited:
My apologies, maybe I misunderstood your intentions. I am not bailing... just busy.

No biggie. I understand its a beast and a chore to assemble. Would it be much of an issue if say I asked for a pic of just the fuselage? Or maybe the wing root for airfoil modeling? Any picture I would probably need would be like that. I've got the 3 views waiting to be setup, so I can't see why I'd need a pic of anything assembled. They could be done inside the storage building even as long its visible enough.

I understand the busy life. I've got one myself, which is why I mentioned a few things that I did. Nothing personal, just being straight forward. I respect that you can't run on my command to take the shots, but if you're willing to work with me and try to get things within a few days, I'll go ahead and get things started. Just let me know.

The airfoils are a breeze, this plane uses a Symmetrical 18% at the root transitioning to a Symmetrical 12% at the tip. I just used basic NACA foils for the physics, may not be exact but close enough. Then a NACA 0010 for the Horizontal Stab and a NACA 0010 transitioning to a NACA 0009 for the Vertical Stab.

If you need cross-sections get them at http://www.airfoildb.com/foils/search

Doug

The airfoils are a breeze, this plane uses a Symmetrical 18% at the root transitioning to a Symmetrical 12% at the tip. I just used basic NACA foils for the physics, may not be exact but close enough. Then a NACA 0010 for the Horizontal Stab and a NACA 0010 transitioning to a NACA 0009 for the Vertical Stab.

If you need cross-sections get them at http://www.airfoildb.com/foils/search

Doug

Thanks Doug.

AV updated for correct size of fuel tank plus added a mass component to account for the smoke tank. I can't make that last one decrease weight based on smoke use (might make a good recommendation for future RF enhancements) but at least it's accounted for in the wing loading. I also fixed a control assignment for the steering gear.

EDIT: abaser is doing a new build of this plane, so the most recent AV is posted there. https://forums.realflight.com/showpost.php?p=250831&postcount=22

Last edited:
Taz......
I'm dead in the water ...balls in your court , till you decide to play:rolleyes:

Now taking new requests..............

Last edited:
Maj, would you please email me a copy of your WIP so I can adjust the exhaust properly.

Thanks

well I was hoping to get some better pics for placement and/ or quality
I'll just leave the front port floating between the gear as you suggested ...that's all I can do at this point
the end of the pipes are pretty much lined up where they are supposed to be (again ,I think)............let me do the daddy thing with the kids and I'll post here or email it to you .......if I can find your addy

Last edited:
If you can get more pics ......and its mapped accordingly .. you know mean)

I'd think about it ....it does look like it'd be pretty involved
accurately reproducing those checks would be the hard part

when I look at it I think ZZTop ! :cool:

Last edited:
I have to go over, hook up to the trailer, going to the storage unit where my larger planes are stored, pull out 4 or 5 planes to get to the Sukhoi, load it up, taking it somewhere to assemble it which takes 30 minutes, snap the photos and then repeat the process..

no you don't !
why do you need a trailer ?.. you don't have to load it up and go anywhere
and you don't even need to assemble it ! (for CS purposes)
just take pics of the parts/graphics AT the storage unit;).a lot easier that why
I've already got the bottom basically done so we don't need those

Last edited:
Back