McFoamy-G5

I have tryed to spell it out for you. And it is not about flex approval. It is about making it at least close to real world, other wise we would need a name change, to Pretend Flight Sim.
The rudder wiping is caused by turning the Prop Wash Factor up. When you turn the Prop Wash Factor up, that increases the air speed of the wash, causing the jerky motion. Turn it down it down, you can't fly the plane slow. The RF Prop wash gives you NO wash over the wings past half way out.
In the Environment before RF6, we could trick things up and kinda get by. Those days are gone in Rf6.
It is IMPOSSIBLE to make Extreme flight, real with 3d foamies, 3d planes, or 3d hellies, in Real Flight 6, using the Prop Wash engine we now have.
Knock you're self out!

flexible said:
I have tryed to spell it out for you. And it is not about flex approval. It is about making it at least close to real world, other wise we would need a name change, to Pretend Flight Sim.
The rudder wiping is caused by turning the Prop Wash Factor up. When you turn the Prop Wash Factor up, that increases the air speed of the wash, causing the jerky motion. Turn it down it down, you can't fly the plane slow. The RF Prop wash gives you NO wash over the wings past half way out.
In the Environment before RF6, we could trick things up and kinda get by. Those days are gone in Rf6.
It is IMPOSSIBLE to make Extreme flight, real with 3d foamies, 3d planes, or 3d hellies, in Real Flight 6, using the Prop Wash engine we now have.
Knock you're self out!

You know flexible, I get what you are saying. And I agree the prop wash stuff does seem somewhat off. But I'm not so sure it is as impossibly off as you say.

I was just fooling around with the Flatout Turmoil. That is very similar in weight and size to the McFoamy. And I can get it to harrier quite nicely at fairly slow speeds (6 mph is easy, 5 mph is doable). And it has propwash still set to 100.

Flex, I still don't understand how you know that there is no prop wash effect on the wing tips. I know there's a problem, and most of my opinion comes from what you say. I think you know I'm just razzing you when I say "flex-approved." If this can be worked out by the tools we have, I want to make it so.

Madratter, here's a new AV I just made that redefines the physics entirely. It's based on the SBach I mentioned. The colorscheme is not the actual scheme for the model. It's missing the _N and _S files. The overall weight of the model is close to what it's supposed to be. I've always had trouble deciding which battery, motor, and prop to use. They are based on mfr.'s specs, and the same as the original RF file, I think. This AV is not ready for prime time, but see if you think it's workable. If we can get this to fly right, I'll add the CS, animation physics, and repackage as an RF6 EA. Actually, posting an RF6 AV would probably work just as well, but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

If you have trouble getting this to import, let me know. It may not like the way I did things.

Attachments

• McFoamy-RF6TakeToo_AV.RFX
    33.2 KB · Views: 14
jeffpn said:
Flex, I still don't understand how you know that there is no prop wash effect on the wing tips. I know there's a problem, and most of my opinion comes from what you say. I think you know I'm just razzing you when I say "flex-approved." If this can be worked out by the tools we have, I want to make it so.

Madratter, here's a new AV I just made that redefines the physics entirely. It's based on the SBach I mentioned. The colorscheme is not the actual scheme for the model. It's missing the _N and _S files. The overall weight of the model is close to what it's supposed to be. I've always had trouble deciding which battery, motor, and prop to use. They are based on mfr.'s specs, and the same as the original RF file, I think. This AV is not ready for prime time, but see if you think it's workable. If we can get this to fly right, I'll add the CS, animation physics, and repackage as an RF6 EA. Actually, posting an RF6 AV would probably work just as well, but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

If you have trouble getting this to import, let me know. It may not like the way I did things.

I just brought this in and flew it a bit. The av file came in ok. I just needed to ignore the battery and motor which I already had. It was still painted though.

The rudder response in this is more life like. I think this is a better starting point under RF6 than what we were doing. I'm still not totally happy with it. I need to figure out why. For one thing, it seems somewhat underpowered now.

Edit [Top speed seems ok, but it takes more throttle than I'm used to in order to hover, and hovering is more difficult that it should be. Also right aileron is not effective enough in hover - might be the infamous prop wash model again.]

Last edited:
I intended to upload an EA, and ended up posting an AV instead. That's what I meant about the CS and such.

One of those versions had an Electrify motor. Were the numbers 28, 26, and 1000? I forget. I think it's a stronger motor at roughly the same weight. I don't know enough about motors, batteries and props to know what's suitable. I think it's great someone new to the forums is diving right in. That doesn't happen very often.

jeffpn said:
I intended to upload an EA, and ended up posting an AV instead. That's what I meant about the CS and such.

One of those versions had an Electrify motor. Were the numbers 28, 26, and 1000? I forget. I think it's a stronger motor at roughly the same weight. I don't know enough about motors, batteries and props to know what's suitable. I think it's great someone new to the forums is diving right in. That doesn't happen very often.

What I just downloaded used The Turnigy 2730. Not sure currently if the motor is a problem or not. I think the Turnigy is probably appropriate.

The Turnigy is recommended by WM. What I don't know is if it defined accurately by or for use in RF. There's alot of stuff that makes up a good physics model.

First, there are things to trick up 3d planes to do some things, but they are never going to be real. We are now talking about 6 here. The tricks we were able to get away with in the past, no longer have the effect they once did.
I posted a demo to show the effect, but I have pulled it down.
Do this test for you're self, then you will be-leave.
Take a 3d plane that flies pretty good in a hover. The made to hover Sbach, if you have the EA will do. Edit the wire frame, so the ailerons are only just a little longer than straight back from the prop tips. Do this by changing the distance from the tips, then change the length. You will find the plane still hovers the same. In real life, you would not be able to control it at all.

Last edited:
jeffpn said:
The Turnigy is recommended by WM. What I don't know is if it defined accurately by or for use in RF. There's alot of stuff that makes up a good physics model.

This model is slightly bigger and heavier than what I am use to flying with a motor that is very similar. So, at the end of the day, it is probably me.

Last edited:
I redid the physics, this time starting from Jeff's redo based on the Sbach. If Jeff gives the go ahead, I think I'm ready to post this AV as the best I can do under the current prop wash model.

Attachments

• McFoamy-RF6TakeToo (Edit)_AV.RFX
    32.9 KB · Views: 3
If you like it, post it! (You may want to Save As... from the editor to rename it before you export the AV.)

Back