menu items in RF 9.5S can't be selected

gvannauw

I used to run RF 9.5S on a win10 pro pc without any problems. Spektrum transmitter connected to the Spektrum wireless simulator USB Dongle. I switched to a new pc last month, running w11 pro. I installed steam on the new pc and downloaded the setup file for RF 9.5S. When launching the program however, it doesn't do a thing. No menu items can be opened and although the transmitter is connected, the plane in the FS doesn't respond ..

What can be wrong ??

The new PC is likely the problem. RealFlight has been based on DirectX 9 for many years, and newer video hardware has been quietly dropping support for DirectX 9. If your new PC has an Intel CPU and no other additional graphics capability (a separate nVidia or AMD video card), then RF likely won't work.

If your PC does have nVidia or AMD graphics, then you may need to tell Windows 11 that it should use the better video for RealFlight. This post describes what to do.

The RealFlight development team is hard at work upgrading the program to use DirectX 11 which fixes this problem, but that's only happening for the latest version of RealFlight, Evolution. You can try this solution for 9.5S or earlier versions, but it's not guaranteed to work.

thank you. My system incorporates a NVIDIA GeForce MX550 graphics card. I'll try above solution and see if it helps.
It would really be a shame if I couldn't use the simulator anymore due to this problem

There hasn't been an issue with nVidia and RealFlight so far. Windows 11 likes to decide which video card to use if there's more than one choice ("integrated graphics" with the CPU, versus "high-performance graphics" from a separate GPU such as the nVidia.

This post describes how to set that in Windows 11.

Back