Missing Menu Bars in Evolution w/ Windows 11

kenhooks

Installed Evolution via Steam yesterday on HP Omen running Windows 11 with Intel i7 and Nvidia RTX 60 Ti. When I click on the icon to open the program, I initially see two lines of menus in the upper left of the screen that disappear in a second or so. Can't seem to find a way to get the menu bars back or otherwise access the menu options. Any ideas? Thanks.

The old menu is hidden by default in RealFlight Evolution and has been replaced with a new menu system that works with the radio and/or mouse. Open the new menu system using the "ESC" key, or the "Cancel" button on the DX controller, or the "X" button on the InterLink-X controller. You can get the old menu back using the ~ key to open the console then type "showlegacymenu" (without quotes) and press the enter key. Then use the ~ key again to close the console. The showlegacymenu command sticks so when you start RealFlight Evolution again the old menu will still be there. Of course you can still use the new menu system too.

The old menu is hidden by default in RealFlight Evolution and has been replaced with a new menu system that works with the radio and/or mouse. Open the new menu system using the "ESC" key, or the "Cancel" button on the DX controller, or the "X" button on the InterLink-X controller. You can get the old menu back using the ~ key to open the console then type "showlegacymenu" (without quotes) and press the enter key. Then use the ~ key again to close the console. The showlegacymenu command sticks so when you start RealFlight Evolution again the old menu will still be there. Of course you can still use the new menu system too.
Technoid, thanks for the quick and thorough response!

I have installed Evolution via steam running windows 10, I can get the the old menu showing like technoid explaned, but I try to get the new menu up by pressing ESC on my keyboard it comes up with a message saying an unexpected error happened and then closes realflight down,. Any ideas please?

I don't know what's wrong but you can turn the "old" menu off again by doing the same steps that you did to turn it on. The "showlegacymenu" command is a "toggle" so if you use it again the "old" menu will be hidden like default. You might try that and see if it helps.

First time I installed RF Evolution but have not been able to recognize the controller.
-No old menu
-No controller (I'm using the WS2000 dongle with my transmitters (iX20 and DX18)
-Cannot play the game at all.
I have tried the beta versions and the 9.5S version but nothing is working at all.
3 hours into this issue, cannot believe how complicated this process has gotten.
Using a new laptop, upgraded to RF evolution but nothing is working.

Any pointers appreciated.

We need information on your new laptop, what is the make and model number, to see the specs for what CPU and what GPU it has, (integral or dedicated?)
What do you see when RF Evolution is started, an aircraft that sits on the runway and does not move and the menus at the top of the screen greyed out?

Dell Vostro 3420
Processor 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1255U, 1700 Mhz, 10 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)
Intel iRIS XE Graphics - not sure if integral or dedicated. Information says shared GPU memory (8gb) Driver is 30.0.101.1298
-RF Evolution starts but no input
-Aircraft n the runway does not move and yes grayed out menus.
-Run a couple of times and had input but no other menus to select other aircraft, stuck on the E Habu.

Known issue with 12th Gen Intel graphics.

Install the "dxvk-intel-fix" follow the instructions below.

How to Get the Beta Build

1. Restart your Steam client to ensure it is aware of the new versions.
    1. Right-click the Steam icon in your system tray and select Exit.
    2. Once everything closes, run Steam again.
  2. Right-click on RealFlight Evolution/RealFlight 9.5S in your Steam library, then select Properties...
  3. In the Properties window, select Betas on the left.
  4. Click the "Select the beta you would like to opt into" dropdown control to expand the list.
  5. Select "dxvk-intel-fix".
  6. Close the Properties dialog, (there are no codes to enter, just hit the"X" on the properties screen.)
  7. Steam will now download the new version (which will be a very small download).

Known issue with 12th Gen Intel graphics.
Managed to download the 9.5S version and at least I get the menus to change aircraft or field. Nothing on the Evolution version. Stuck with the electric Habu and one field to fly and cannot see nothing more.
Is this issue for all people running 12th Gen graphics?

Install the "dxvk-intel-fix" follow the instructions below.

How to Get the Beta Build

1. Restart your Steam client to ensure it is aware of the new versions.
    1. Right-click the Steam icon in your system tray and select Exit.
    2. Once everything closes, run Steam again.
  2. Right-click on RealFlight Evolution/RealFlight 9.5S in your Steam library, then select Properties...
  3. In the Properties window, select Betas on the left.
  4. Click the "Select the beta you would like to opt into" dropdown control to expand the list.
  5. Select "dxvk-intel-fix".
  6. Close the Properties dialog, (there are no codes to enter, just hit the"X" on the properties screen.)

Thanks for the help guys. This seems to be working. Tried it yesterday and wasn’t working but seems good now with the beta version. The one issue I have is that after pressing Shift+Tab and selecting the controller option I get an error and cannot access the menu unless I enter Big Picture mode. But that’s minor as inputs are working now.
Many thanks

Hey all, I had the same problem. But reading the threads I managed to find a solution and maybe adding it here will also help others.

Problem:
I installed RF Evolution (Steam), have a Spektrum NX10 connected by cable to USB, and when starting RF the window opens with a plane on the tarmac and paused. When I press the Esc key it un-pauses. Paused/un-paused, no menus appear, just a view of a plane on the tarmac. Tilda + shift keys (~ + shift) didn't do anything either.

My system spec:
12th gen Intel i9-12900H 2.5GHz, 64 bit, Win 11 Pro ver 22H2 (os build 22621.2283), NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti Laptop GPU.

Solution:
The suggestion that Win11 is auto-managing apps to use either CPU GPU or the dedicated GPU seems to be the cause. When I changed Steam and Realflight .exe files to use the dedicated GPU by default, rather than letting Windows choose, it fixed the problem. To change this, go to:
  1. Start> type Settings, then go into System>Display>Graphics.
  2. Where it says "Add an App" change the drop down to 'Desktop App' if it says 'Microsoft Store App', and then click on Browse
  3. Here you have to find the Steam and RealFlight .exe files. If you've installed both apps into default folders then you'll find:
    1. Steam: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam and I added steam.exe, streaming_client.exe and GameOverlayUI.exe, click Add.
    2. RealFlight: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam>steamapps>common>RealFlight Evolution and add RealFlight64.exe, click Add.
  4. Then back in System>Display>Graphics screen, you see them in the list of All Apps at the bottom.
  5. Click on any one you added and choose Options
  6. Check 'High Performance' radio button and choose Save.
  7. Do this for each .exe program you added.
  8. Close Steam and RF apps if you have them open and restart them.
Hope this helps. Cheers

Last edited:
Back