New Beta 3.5.044

Jollyroger

:eek: Ok, beta .044 is just out, and update to .042. Did we skip .043? :eek:

Next question, to all beta testers. What is difference between .042 and .044? And how do you guys like it?

any bugs? :rolleyes:

how do the planes/helis react? :cool:

and do the helis still spin on the ground when spooling up? :confused:

Let us know in this thread. Thanx. I will be updating as soon as i get my interlink back. :D

I just did because of your post. Didn't know it was available. But I haven't run it yet :)

This update fixes a few bugs, including one in the hover trainers that caused the aircraft to be locked on the wrong axis (intermittently) and also the one where the wind speed keyboard shortcut repeat rate was dependent on the graphical frame rate. We also included a number of additional aircraft changes based on feedback from Jason Noll and John Glezellis, both of whom were kind enough to visit us on site to assist us with our tuning efforts.

At this point it seems likely that the patch is ready for the general public and I fully expect .044 to move out of beta and into general release shortly. I don't want to get ahead of the process, because we are still testing, but that is what I expect at this time.

Thanks to everyone who assisted us during the beta period.

Jim

Jollyroger said:
:eek: Ok, beta .044 is just out, and update to .042. Did we skip .043? :eek:

You mean you missed the one that added those extra 54 new planes!!!!

OhmyGosh! Too late now!

:D :D :D :D

jbourke said:
We also included a number of additional aircraft changes based on feedback from Jason Noll and John Glezellis, both of whom were kind enough to visit us on site to assist us with our tuning efforts.
Well, talking of aircraft behaviour: both stock KEtanas still behave pretty strange. When flying forward at full speed, attempting do make two loops in a row by just pulling the elevator up (stick down,full rate, full deflection) will make them break out from the 2nd loop sidewards. Feels as if the CG was completely off. Is this really an expected behaviour?
Well, indeed the the electric version is close to unflyable anyway as it additionally has little to no rudder authority.
I hope the rudder/elevator issues are investigated at they make editing flight models much more difficult as it should be, especially for smaller/lighter models.

Last edited:
cdlflyer: That heli has a slightly "broken" flight model.

0xdeadbeef: That's basically what my REAL Ultimates do in the first loop!

I see people on the boards telling others to fix their lateral balance (which IS a good thing), but this is not the cause of the problem.

One wing is stalling out faster than the other because of the settings of the elevator throws.

You can do one of two things.

You can set the throws HIGHER (yes higher) so that both wings stall out sooner, or you can set the throws LOWER so that the stalled/stalling wing doesn't stall as quickly.

IMHO from what I've seen in the real planes, G3 models this realistically....

So much so that I've been able to demonstrate this fix in G3 to real world flyers complaining about the same.

BTW: as you move the engine closer to the centerline and use less down and side thrust to compensate, this problem goes away.

When flying forward at full speed, attempting do make two loops in a row by just pulling the elevator up (stick down,full rate, full deflection) will make them break out from the 2nd loop sidewards.
Ox:

You should have been around the FIRST iteration with the snap-out/snappy behavior! :D

Still screws up custom user models. Models that fly awsome and realistic before do not hover anymore. Rudder Authority is non existant.

I have been patient for the last while in hoping this would be fixed but I quess it won't.

I am about ready to take the whole disc set and controller out and pin them to a board and use them for target practice then let everyone I know including people walking into the hobby shops know about my personal feelings.

I have already expressed my feelings abotu the latest releases to Great Planes/ Realflite (Home page for G3/ 3.5) and asked them to remove my positive feelings they used from a reply on RCU on the home page.

I am hoping reverting back to the original non 3.5 will not mess things up any more. My only dissapointment about doing that is I still will not beable to enjoy flying on line with others.

I think it's safe to say that any user made model will need to be updated. They update many of the planes/helis each update I am sure based off the physics changes.

I'd not break my cd's because of it.

Yeah. rat. Just tweek a bit more to the new Physics modle. We all expected that. unless you have a Particular aspect of Flight physics you think is wrong and shows on most or all. you Gripe is fixed with an easy Wipe.

My Flight physics Note.

Retreating blade stall on Wrong sides.

the heli in .044 still stall on the Advancing blade side.

I tried tweeking one model so it would fly again. The flight model did not even match the visual model so I moved the wing, etc back to match the visual model again but it still did not help. I tried adjusting the CG with no avail along with trying to adjust the prop wash factor but nothing helps.

I go into a hover with the plane in it would just fall off to the side no matter how much rudder and throttle I threw at it. I used to beable to hold this plane in a rock steady hover for as long as I wanted. I tried an inverted flat spin and it seemed cartoonish at best. Going into a wall was also very unrealistic.

I do not get much time to site at a computer and play with adjusting models all day long like some people. I am lucky to beable to come and sit down for 20 mins these days and I just want to fly and not spend all the time trying to tweek models that were perfectly fine before.

Now the question is if I go back to my previous version, will negative things happen that will upset me even more?

You know there were far less complaints and problems before 3.5 even came along. The biggest complaint was lack of realistic ground handling or a slightly floaty feel when landing some models. For the most part the planes were pretty realistic in flight when compaired to flying real RC.

KE come up with an update to fix some of these slight issues but they generated larger issues with the update.

Oh but wait they added cool things like moving objects, lights, and night flying. They also changed things enough so that the 3.0 users can not fly with the 3.5 users online.

I say give me 3.0 with movable objects and collision and the ability to fly with 3.5 users and I will be happy. I could care less about night flying as I never fly at night anyway. I never use ribbons either and could care less to.

availability?

Now that 3.05.044 is available to beta testing. When will .041, .042 or .043 be available for public download? The "official" public version is still 3.05.033...

As I understand it by reading these posts KE has corrected a number of bugs and issues with .033. Why aren't they offering any of those fixes for public download?

opjose said:
0xdeadbeef: That's basically what my REAL Ultimates do in the first loop!
Really to the extreme that the KETanas show or just slightly like many other G3 planes? I mean did you actually have a look at the KEtana?

I see people on the boards telling others to fix their lateral balance (which IS a good thing), but this is not the cause of the problem.
One wing is stalling out faster than the other because of the settings of the elevator throws.
Hm, I agree that stalling of one wing would be an explanation for what I observe.
Then again, the behaviour seems to be more or less independent of speed. Actually it can be reproduced at very low speeds as well.
I also wonder why this happens to such an extreme for the KEtanas while it doesn't happen for other (stock) planes.

You can do one of two things.
You can set the throws HIGHER (yes higher) so that both wings stall out sooner, or you can set the throws LOWER so that the stalled/stalling wing doesn't stall as quickly.
Indeed it doesn't seem to happen with low rates.

IMHO from what I've seen in the real planes, G3 models this realistically....
So much so that I've been able to demonstrate this fix in G3 to real world flyers complaining about the same.
Don't get me wrong: I didn't assume that this was a problem of the flight model, I just thought that this was a strange setup for a stock plane. With a plane becoming almost uncontrollable so easily, I guess not too many people would be happy.

BTW: as you move the engine closer to the centerline and use less down and side thrust to compensate, this problem goes away.
I played around with this but didn't really succeed.

Anyway, thanks for your answers.

0xdeadbeef said:
Really to the extreme that the KETanas show or just slightly like many other G3 planes? I mean did you actually have a look at the KEtana?

I sure did.

If anything the KEtana behaves much more like my REAL Funtana 90S now, far better than before.

On my Funtana 90S I have to keep the high rate throws to under 40 degrees to prevent this, and yes even at low speeds.

40 degrees is quite a bit of deflection on these huge tails.

Of course you want as much as possible for hovering, so I end up leaving the rates around 35 degrees for high rates and down to 15-20 for normal acrobatic flying.

0xdeadbeef said:
Hm, I agree that stalling of one wing would be an explanation for what I observe.
Then again, the behaviour seems to be more or less independent of speed. Actually it can be reproduced at very low speeds as well.
I also wonder why this happens to such an extreme for the KEtanas while it doesn't happen for other (stock) planes.

Basically the size of the tail.

The bigger it is, e.g. the more area it has the more pronounced this occurs... much like real planes.

That big "wing" at a high incidence stalls out along with the reduced effectiveness of the main wings causing a roll to one side.

Change the wing loading and right thrust and you can reduce it though.

This really threw me on my Ultimates because everyone said that it was a lateral imbalance at first...

On RCU I pointed out that the same model in G3 also exhibited this behaviour and that you could fix it by lessening the throws.

The light bulbs seemed to go off for everyone then, and now the first thing the participants tell people now is to, lessen the throws but also check the lateral balance....

0xdeadbeef said:
Indeed it doesn't seem to happen with low rates.

Don't get me wrong: I didn't assume that this was a problem of the flight model, I just thought that this was a strange setup for a stock plane. With a plane becoming almost uncontrollable so easily, I guess not too many people would be happy.

Try this, change the percentage for the rates in high rate mode, in the software radio.

Adjust it down until it stops happening.

You'll find that this will still give you enough authority for hovers...

But basically the KETana has the wing loading a little high.

I THINK that G3 is reporting the total wing loading for ALL surfaces including the tail.. so it's not reporting the actual wing loading for the main wing...

That 16oz wing loading is much higher, so the plane has more of a tendancy to do this.

If you increase the throws and loading on the model of the Funtana 90S you will attain the same behaviour though.

Ok, thanks for the enlightenment ;)
While we're at it: what do you think of the KEtana (electric) rudder authority?
While the glow version is quite ok, the eletric version stalls immediately when using the rudder at high speeds. Indeed even the 90" Funtana has more rudder effectiveness at high speeds. Being in the middle between the two Funtanas regarding size and weight, I would have expected the KEtana to have less rudder authority than the 40", but more than the 90° Funtana.

Johndou said:
Now that 3.05.044 is available to beta testing. When will .041, .042 or .043 be available for public download? The "official" public version is still 3.05.033...

As I understand it by reading these posts KE has corrected a number of bugs and issues with .033. Why aren't they offering any of those fixes for public download?
All public beta issues don't necessarily go into final release. The last "final" release was indeed .033, but if you look here: https://forums.realflight.com/showthread.php?t=15922 you'll see that the other versions (with the fixes being discussed) are, in fact, available.

-Case

Back