New Beta 3.5.044

Yes there is a vid, I believe it was on flightlevel350.com, just search around and click list of ALL aircraft in the search bar. Thanks regarding the Mustang :). Oh and NO the pilot definitely did not pull vertically upwards out of the torque roll, I don't think there is ANY full scale aircraft that can do that (yet!!), s/he had to tailslide downwards while torque rolling then stabilize the plane on the downline subsequently recovering. Look for the "Yak 54 UltraFullScale" soon at aircraft variants, made only for 3.50.044.

There is one

Its a Turbo Prop Raven, and is totally insane. I only saw a video of it once, and sat there in awe. Very very cool

Are you saying the Raven pulled vertically out of a torque roll?!?!? By the way the SU31 I saw was at an airshow I went to, the flightlevel video is simply a reference example.

Last edited:
The Raven, and this simulator stuff

Yup, I saw it about a year or so ago on discovery. It had a turbo prop in the front of it. It hovered and then went straight up. It truely is amazing. And now someone got me thinking about it, I'm gonna go start looking for it on the internet.

Oh... and going back to all this its a game/simulator thing. It is a great simulator for flying R/C Aircraft. Without this I wouldn't have anywhere near the confidence and skills to do what I do on the field. There is always going to be differences in the real world, thats just the way it is. You want a real life experience. I fly the real planes that carry people in them...., and I have to do sim check ups every year. Now it feels a little different to the real thing I guarrantee you that, but it is a sim, and we know that, and the things we do in there, give us the confidence to go into the real plane and if we have to, deal with emergencies and save lives. Without sims, there would be a lot more real world airline/aircraft accidents.

So I love G3, and 3.5 for that matter, great job KE, you have saved many crashed models, and probably saved people time, money and heart ache. Plus the fire wood people probably love you, as there aren't so many models to put on the fire

Happy flying G3ers and .5ers

I'm liking .044 the more I fly it. Snaps are a LOT better now and the air density is far nicer, not the seemingly vacuumed atmosphere of 3.0 yet better than the way too dense one of .033. Redesigning the physics so that using a propwash factor of 200 to cheat your way through high alpha yields almost no rotational torque during hovers was a very smart move IMO. In order to get realistic torque you now have to use a reasonable combination of propwash and back torque. I gotta hand it to KE... Nicely done!

Struggling while I'm Yak'ng...

LevelTrim said:
Look for the "Yak 54 UltraFullScale" soon at aircraft variants, made only for 3.50.044.
Imported this most-interesting bird, but am having some issues:
a) it wants to "stick' to the runway during full-power takeoff. I can "wiggle" the ailerons a little and it will lumber into the air and fly (albeit a bit reluctantly)
b) The bird in my setup (I've done no editing) seems terribly underpowered. It barely stays aloft, and will do some rolls once it gets to full speed (I forgot to see what that was, but it isn't very fast, I'm afraid), but lumbers through any other maneuver, and once inverted, falls out of the sky, unrecoverably (at least by me).
Compared to the "Giant Lanier Yak-54", yours has not much get-up-and-go in my PC, at least, for a big aerobat.
I killed the file, and reimported it from the swap pages, but with the same performance results.
Am I doing something wrong? :eek: Is it supposed to be 3D yak-like in performance? I love the idea of the supersizing, but not if there's not a powerplant in the sim inventory that can give it the muscle to do 3D.
Your thoughts?
Thanks for the innovative bird, however. Full-scale R/C and autonomous UAVs are my passion in real-life and a great idea for modeling. :cool:

Thanks for downloading the bird.. It must be flown like a full scale, and you'll be surprised to know it can actually pull off a climbing torque roll, pretty overpowered... should be doing around 180 mph full throttle straight and level. There may have been a problem with the engine showing up correctly for you for some reason. Also, made specifically for .044, you have to update for it to fly nicely, in .033 or anything older it will seem very underpowered and the whole sticking to the runway thing was a problem with .033 as well... check out the recording I made in the recording section of this bird doing some mild aerobatics.

Last edited:
No climbing torque rolls in my setup!

LevelTrim said:
It must be flown like a full scale, and you'll be surprised to know it can actually pull off a climbing torque roll, pretty overpowered... should be doing around 180 mph full throttle straight and level. There may have been a problem with the engine showing up correctly for you for some reason. Also, made specifically for .044, you have to update for it to fly nicely, in .033 or anything older it will seem very underpowered and the whole sticking to the runway thing was a problem with .033 as well...
Where can I go to get a replacement engine file? In the editor, I see three (3) engines, but only one seems to have any moxxie at all ... and falls way short of any performance as I've imported it. I have .044, so that shouldn't be the problem, although it's behaving for me in .044 the way you say it used to behave in .033. What "fixes" did you employ, and I'll give 'em a shot if that will add some life to the beast.
Any feedback from others on this, or am I the only bad guy in the bunch? :eek:

I'm running .044 and I have to agree with rjmanzuk. I'm getting the same results. It may be an engine problem with me though. What engine is it suppose to have?

Wolf

If it really is an engine problem, well, here goes.
Remember the engine you said was the only one that had any power? you were right because the 3 other engines are just os .40's for the engine noise. The main one you want to modify is the one with the + next to it containing smoke and exhaust. click on that engine then click Torque Generator. Click copy. make the engine weigh 800 oz. Click Torque Curve then Graph points. Make the highest point of the graph around 15000. Your engine should be fixed now and indicating around 441 hp at the power meter in the editor window with full throttle. If it's a matter of overcontrolling at way too low of speeds and stalling out, check out the enclosed recording showing an aerobatic routine including a sloppy 'torque roll', ends with a failed tree dodge..

Attachments

• LevelTrim_Yak-54 UltraFullScale.g3x
    658.9 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Bonanza said:
Yup, I saw it about a year or so ago on discovery. It had a turbo prop in the front of it. It hovered and then went straight up. It truely is amazing. And now someone got me thinking about it, I'm gonna go start looking for it on the internet.

Happy flying G3ers and .5ers

Bonanza, if you are interested in the full scale Turbo Raven, see a blurb on it at the below link. It was Wayne Handley's plane and it was simply awesome. Wayne no longer flies it because he put it into the ground big-time. Wayne lived to tell about it, although he was pretty beat up. The Turbo Raven could do all that it was rumored to be able to do. It could hang vertical and then accelerate straight up out of it.

The below link also gives you a chance to buy a 1/3 scale model of the plane for a mere $2500.

I have another link to a video of pair of the models flying. I'll try to find it and post it. One has since been lost, while the other made it to a local field here in Illinois for a demo. Awesome performance, awesome power and awesome sound. Yes, the models were turbo powered, too.

Harlan

http://www.airworld-usa.com/turboraven.htm

Bonanza said:

Bonanza, here's a link to a blurb on Wayne Handley

http://www.waynehandley.com/

By the way, to see the turbo model fly click on that link I gave you in the previous post and then click on Raven Video in the tab near the top. This is a video of the red one which was at the Illinois field about two years ago. Here's he link again. Listen to the sound of the turbo.

http://www.airworld-usa.com/turboraven.htm

Here's a page on the full scale airplane with specifications. Now this would be something else to work on for inclusion in Real Flight!

http://www.waynehandley.com/archive.html

Here is another video of the two scale models flying together. The video is a little grainy and the wind noise is atrocious, but it shows off the capability of the model pretty well. The yellow one was later lost in a crash. THe red one is the one that I saw live.

http://media.putfile.com/2-Turbo-ravens-NO-music

Enjoy!

Harlan

WOW that Turbo Raven is truly one of a kind! I've heard rumors of the firefighting plane the Air Tractor AT-8 (also a turboprop) being able to hover. Is this true?

Better!

LevelTrim said:
make the engine weigh 800 oz. Click Torque Curve then Graph points. Make the highest point of the graph around 15000. Your engine should be fixed now and indicating around 441 hp at the power meter in the editor window with full throttle.
If it's a matter of overcontrolling at way too low of speeds and stalling out, check out the enclosed recording showing an aerobatic routine including a sloppy 'torque roll', ends with a failed tree dodge..
Good info! That helps a lot! At what RPM do you recommend the peak torque of 15000? At the moment I have it just about at 6000 RPM, and my gut tells me it should be a tad higher? Your recommendation?
I think the *.G3X file you attached should have been saved as a recording? It certainly wouldn't import as a g3x, and from your narrative, it sounds like you wanted to show us a video. If you elect to reupload it as a recording, please let us know what field you flew it at.
Thanks, LevelTrim ... sure do appreciate your work. The more the merrier! Let's fly! :cool:

so, now that many people are on 3.5.044, have anyone found any bugs? anything that needs to be added/changed?

Back