New guy just installed evolution rookie issues

RayO

I just loaded Evolution on my new gamer laptop. Using controller supplied with software (newly purchased software and controller). When I start up EV I get nothing except a pic of a jet aircraft sitting on a runway. I think installation went smoothly but controller has no effect on the aircraft. Controller LEDS are illuminated. Just a rookie who is feeling pretty dumb right now. The stupid question is the unasked question so here I am. Any help appreciated.

Ray

Follow the instructions on the link below to install the DirectX 11 public beta.

Follow the instructions on the link below to install the DirectX 11 public beta.

Please forgive the rookie responses here. What does Direct X 11 do for me? I guess I assumed that the download of EV was gonna load everything I needed. Am I correct in my assumption that Direct X is required for the software to run but that it is not part of the RF -EV download? This is a brand new, outta the box today laptop so all that is on there is whatever the download sent me along with Windows 11. Obviously I hadda connect to Steam and I think that was completed sucessfully?

I need to learn a lot and follow up questions about things you guys already are experienced with are the only way. Steep learning curve for sure. Any elaboration you can put here is really appreciated.

Ray

If you have an nVidia card in your laptop, then you can use the regular version of RealFlight Evo rather than the DirectX 11 Beta. Right now, the Direct X 11 version is a work in progress. It's being developed out of necessity because of the issue you ran into - the regular version doesn't work with the last couple of years of Intel video chips. Intel stopped supporting DirectX 9, the version of Direct X still used within the regular version.

To use your nVidia card, you need to go into the Windows settings and find "Display". Then scroll down a bit to "Graphics". On laptops, you need to tell Windows 11 which programs should use a separate nVidia video card, as Windows uses the base Intel graphics by default to save power. You need to add the RealFlight program to the list of apps (Browse, and find the EXE file at C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RealFlight Evolution and RealFlight64.exe) and then choose "High Performance (nVidia graphics)" for that program.

Doing that, it will magically work properly for you.

Last edited:
flightengr gave great advice. "Beta" software is one that generally works, but may have a few unintended "bugs" in it. It is the almost final version tested before being determined to be suitable for all to use. Many companies keep this final testing phase restricted to their own testing processes. Real Flight, recognizing that something had to be done sooner rather than later, has made it available to anyone to use, as this gives them a much wider mix of systems for testing. See the forum section on this site for posts about things found so far that don't quite work right. In general, there has been no serious problems, but some minor issues (the appearance of the moon is too dim, etc.) Some people don't like being guinea pigs for testing, and just want fully functioning software, hence object to using a "test" version. Others are more than happy to evaluate, and report back any issues they may find. RF will work on fixing any of the problems, and then get to the point of making it the only version to use.

DirectX is a part of Windows that governs display of graphics. Version 9 was introduced many years ago, and RF was made to work with that. As with all software, it has been updated with newer versions over the years, but redoing software to use the most current can be a very large job - something RF gambled they could avoid. But they waited too long, and hardware manufacturers have started to move on - with some CPU's and video cards no longer working with the old version. Hence the work to redo RF.

I also fault the laptop manufacturers for not informing purchasers that their new system may not initially perform as advertised in all instances without some tweaking to the setup, and how to do that. Most current Intel CPU's can display graphics fairly well, but are not powerful enough for some high intensity use (like many games). For much better display, a separate graphics card is needed. But one has to tell the computer which graphics hardware to use for what - as flightengr noted. With the update, RF can use the lower powered CPU graphics, but will be much better if told to use the separate card instead. So your choice - longer battery life, or better display. Me? I don't mind needing to keep my laptop plugged in more often, so opted to just tell the laptop to always use the graphics card for everything. But you may want to extend the battery life and use the lower power for general things, and only use the card for higher intensity things (like RF or other games).

If you have an nVidia card in your laptop, then you can use the regular version of RealFlight Evo rather than the DirectX 11 Beta. Right now, the Direct X 11 version is a work in progress. It's being developed out of necessity because of the issue you ran into - the regular version doesn't work with the last couple of years of Intel video chips. Intel stopped supporting DirectX 9, the version of Direct X still used within the regular version.

To use your nVidia card, you need to go into the Windows settings and find "Display". Then scroll down a bit to "Graphics". On laptops, you need to tell Windows 11 which programs should use a separate nVidia video card, as Windows uses the base Intel graphics by default to save power. You need to add the RealFlight program to the list of apps (Browse, and find the EXE file at C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RealFlight Evolution and RealFlight64.exe) and then choose "High Performance (nVidia graphics)" for that program.

Doing that, it will magically work properly for you.
Got almost there, found the files you mentioned above, clicked on RealFlight64.exe and machine spits back "Max number of allowed instances has been reached". This is a brand new outta the box Windows 11 machine I am wondering if something in the outta the box windows machine config needs tweaking?

As the saying goes "close but no cigar".............yet

Got almost there, found the files you mentioned above, clicked on RealFlight64.exe and machine spits back "Max number of allowed instances has been reached". This is a brand new outta the box Windows 11 machine I am wondering if something in the outta the box windows machine config needs tweaking?

As the saying goes "close but no cigar".............yet
Normally when you see that error you "already" have RealFlight running so when you click on the RealFlight64.exe you're trying to start another instance of it, so you get that error.

Normally when you see that error you "already" have RealFlight running so when you click on the RealFlight64.exe you're trying to start another instance of it, so you get that error.
Ok I understand but how do I get around the issue? I assume there are more "copies" of RF running than the system will allow. This windows rookie / RF rookie is moving forward at a snails pace but I am moving forward.

Just close any copy of RealFlight that's running before you try to start the RealFlight64.exe file. You should be able to see it running.

Just close any copy of RealFlight that's running before you try to start the RealFlight64.exe file. You should be able to see it running.

Ok, maybe I was overthinking this. I was thinking that I needed to find some list of running applications and select which one(s) I wanted to kill. Limited past experience with non Windows based software leaves me with just enough info to be dangerous.

Closed RF and followed instructions above for RealFlight64.exe. No issues with instances message but still no response to controller. Is there some sort of "on" switch on the controller? The lights on the controller light up as they should but no joy moving that little aircraft on the runway.

Closed RF and followed instructions above for RealFlight64.exe. No issues with instances message but still no response to controller. Is there some sort of "on" switch on the controller? The lights on the controller light up as they should but no joy moving that little aircraft on the runway.
That is a typical response for a known issue. Have you made sure your laptop is using the built-in NVIDIA card? RF Evolution does not work with the current Intel CPU built-in graphics and there are beta solutions for that. But I'll let the guys that know more about it advise you.

Research other threads on this issue...I see something about a USB hub curing the problem, or a problem somewhat like this. Any thoughts relative to this?

That is a typical response for a known issue. Have you made sure your laptop is using the built-in NVIDIA card? RF Evolution does not work with the current Intel CPU built-in graphics and there are beta solutions for that. But I'll let the guys that know more about it advise you.
I thought that I had enabeled use of Nvidia card with steps outlined above? Did I miss something you guys already told me? How do I make sure Nvidia card is operational?

I thought that I had enabeled use of Nvidia card with steps outlined above? Did I miss something you guys already told me? How do I make sure Nvidia card is operational?
I just found some Youtube videos on enabling the Nvidia card. Back before retirement I had a company supplied laptop and company supplied Techs to fix my problems. Never touched the machine 'cept to use it. I miss those guys!!!!! Will get back to you after I press on with the Nvidia card

Type "Device manager" into the Windows search box, in Device manager scroll down the list and click on the down arrow next to "Display Adapters", double click on the Nvidia name and see if the report says, "This Device is working properly".Device Manager-2.jpg

Type "Device manager" into the Windows search box, in Device manager scroll down the list and click on the down arrow next to "Display Adapters", double click on the Nvidia name and see if the report says, "This Device is working properly".View attachment 135876

Checked to see if Nvidia Card is working. Report confirmed that "device is working properly"

Checked for driver program for RF. Report indicated that "Driver date was 4-6-23, Version of driver 31.0.15.2892, Driver Service added 8-29-23. and that I "have the most up to date driver".

Noticed a pop up window that appeared when booting RF that said "boost enabled" which I think might be confirming that the Nvidia card is working?

Checked:System/Settings/Bluetooth&Devices and the RF controller is shown as present.

Thanks for sticking with me on this. I am all ears here as far as where I need to look next.

Ray

Type "Nvidia Control panel" into the Windows search box, start the NVidia app,
Select "Configure Surround PhysX" (left screen)
In the right-side screen, click on the drop-down arrow next to the "PhysX settings and select the Nvidia GPU. (see pictures)
Click the "Apply" tab (bottom right of screen) and select Yes, to apply settings.
I suggest you restart Windows, then start RF Evolution.
Post back results.Nvidia control panel.jpgNvidia control panel-1.jpgNvidia control panel-2.jpg

Back