Newvie requesting help

Yes the PC-21 does import and fly in RF9 despite the issues. No import errors.

Attachments

• ScreenShot1577652190.jpg
    ScreenShot1577652190.jpg
    363.6 KB · Views: 6
Great information Technoid, I know how to shell extrude in Wing3d but struggle a lot in 3DS Max, that piece of knowledge you shared will be very helpful.
Question, have you tried to import the PC-21 into RF9, all I need to know is that the EA file works.

Yes I just imported it in RF9 and flew it. You can see through the gear doors like I said the inside of the gear door is transparent but the outside is opaque. You can see through the spinner too and that's because the polys are flipped. In 3ds Max you can select them and hit the FLIP button and that will fix it. You can tell they're flipped when you select them and they're dark instead of bright.

Yes I just imported it in RF9 and flew it. You can see through the gear doors like I said the inside of the gear door is transparent but the outside is opaque. You can see through the spinner too and that's because the polys are flipped. In 3ds Max you can select them and hit the FLIP button and that will fix it. You can tell they're flipped when you select them and they're dark instead of bright.

Thanks Technoid, and thanks for the flip technique.
I am not going to alter his model, that is the model creators job.
I am sure Richfl will appreciate your help and technical guidance.

Thank you techniod. I will check it out. I guess you are making reference to the steering gear doors. If that is the case, they were just separated from the fuselage, and therefore, were flat. I extruded them as I did with the main, and that will require a new UV, but that will wait until I figure out the loading into the RF8.

I am sure, there is something wrong on my side, but have no clue on what it is.

I have one general question though. Do you have set Max for metric or ANSI?

Have a goo one.

Thank you techniod. I will check it out. I guess you are making reference to the steering gear doors. If that is the case, they were just separated from the fuselage, and therefore, were flat. I extruded them as I did with the main, and that will require a new UV, but that will wait until I figure out the loading into the RF8.

I am sure, there is something wrong on my side, but have no clue on what it is.

I have one general question though. Do you have set Max for metric or ANSI?

Have a goo one.

BTW: There's also some flipped polygons on the vertical stabilizer too.

Actually my units is set to 'Generic Units'. I normally set it to US Standard but I forgot to set that up when I installed 3ds Max the last time. But it's working fine for me set that way.

The process I use in 3ds Max for creating the gear doors is after I cut them out I select their polys and use 'Detach' to make a separate object and then apply the shell modifier to the new part and set the 'Outside' shell to 'Zero' and then use the 'Inside' shell setting to create the door thickness. After I have the thickness I want I select the door and convert it to an 'Editable Poly'.

BTW: There's also some flipped polygons on the vertical stabilizer too.

Actually my units is set to 'Generic Units'. I normally set it to US Standard but I forgot to set that up when I installed 3ds Max the last time. But it's working fine for me set that way.

The process I use in 3ds Max for creating the gear doors is after I cut them out I select their polys and use 'Detach' to make a separate object and then apply the shell modifier to the new part and set the 'Outside' shell to 'Zero' and then use the 'Inside' shell setting to create the door thickness. After I have the thickness I want I select the door and convert it to an 'Editable Poly'.

Thank you technoid. I'll keep your comments in my notebook. Especially, the convert to mesh. I remember I used that in Max, but I, sure enough, did not that in Blender.

Thank you technoid. I'll keep your comments in my notebook. Especially, the convert to mesh. I remember I used that in Max, but I, sure enough, did not that in Blender.

Richfl, have you tried doing a "restore defaults" from RF launcher to se if it helps with the import problem. Post some information of exactly what happens with the import, lots of people here to help.

Richfl, have you tried doing a "restore defaults" from RF launcher to se if it helps with the import problem. Post some information of exactly what happens with the import, lots of people here to help.

Didn't tried the restore defaults. I was starting to think about uninstall/install, given that its giving me a reference to a PC-21_2 does not make any sense.

Anyway, first, I'll do the restore first, and delete any file I have referenced to 21_2. Then I'll try to video the process or write down a step by step I follow.

Interesting enough, and I think there is something related to the meshes or polygons, is that only those parts that have been cut-off from wings and fuselage, are giving me a headache.

Well, I have a lead, I think. Maybe a long shot, but at this time is the only I have.
Therefore, let's go by parts.
I reset the RF to default, and nothing changed.
I deleted all files making reference to the Pilatus PC-21_2, and I still am getting the same error saying that I don't have that plane. I found that there are a couple of other places that are keeping info related to the 21_2: the file Realflight.ini, and the folder CustomVehicles.
I think then, that the problem I have is Blender. I know, and I think you may have set up NUP in Max, which in Blender it seems not to work (I tried another plane built in Blender, and the doors do not move).
I short, I have this message related to the 21_2, which most probably is caused by the ini file, which I will modify properly, and then the NUP thing, which I will have to look how to fix. I saw some very old threads related to Blender-NUP, which I have to read and adapt to the new version.
I will be looking for comments as anything can help to figure out how to fix this, other than going to Max.

Good morning gents and Happy New Year.
On the last day of the year, I learned quite a bit from you all, plus a couple of examples made in blender by bosshawg.
I think I was trying to run before learning to walk, but if you do not find the problems, you will never know the solutions. I still have a few things to learn and even more to test.
With that said, I think its time to almost starting from scratch, as I think it's easier to fix and test things one at a time that patching the current design. It looks that as technoid said, there are some messing with the doors polygons, that is causing them to produce a NUP error, plus all the pivots, which in blender to modify a parent, requires to un-parent, modify and parent again, which is a PITB.
I figured out how to work the NUP in Blender already, and I will start testing. Also, to start with, in the new startup, I will look into the design issues that Technoid pointed out in the Vertical Stab and other parts.
I will be reporting advances to this thread as I go.
Hope that will be before 2021. Lol.

Problem found. Walk around

Gents,
Thank you very much for your support. I will be requesting some more help soon enough, but with asj assistance, I finally figured out my key problem of moving parts, like retracts, and doors.
The problem is very simple. Blender has some way to go with processing fbx files. One of the to-do jobs they have is custom properties, and there was what kept me and some of you scratching our heads.
The walk around was also relatively easy. Go back to 3DSMax, and add the NUPs there and voila!, I'm in business.
After I have everything figured out with all the moving parts, I will back to the aesthetics, where I have still a way to go.
My next post will be I guess "Help with aesthetics design, please. My plane is ugly." LOL.
Cheers!!:)

Back