Next Project

technoid

I'm finished with Sea Cruise so I'm thinking about what's next, so which one do you like? I'll admit I'm leaning towards the twin boomer La Donna.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 33
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 25
I like the La Donna better. The other one looks more common and I like strange/weird. Is that a control line plane ? I don't see any rudder control. I'm sure you'll add it in like the others CL's.

I like the La Donna better. The other one looks more common and I like strange/weird. Is that a control line plane ? I don't see any rudder control. I'm sure you'll add it in like the others CL's.

Yeah sometimes I start with a control line model but add the control surfaces as I go. And that's what I like about it too it's not a cookie cutter design. It's hard to see but it has wheel pants too, here's the plans. But I might not use the wheel pants and give it retracts it would look very sleek in the air without the landing gear showing.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Thinking electric or nitro ? I know you will have to upsize it. That's old school back when we had to cut and pin parts. I miss my planes made that way and now you can hardly find them.

I got reminded of the twin boom Lazy Eight from that picture so I'm flying that around today again.

Last edited:
Okay La Donna it is. I just emailed the guy that built the plane to see if there's any information he can share with me about it. And yeah being a nitro guy it will be a nitro plane with the engine and tuned pipe on it. Of course you won't be able to see much of the engine except the head but it will be there. I'll use the same engine and pipe from the Mercury Toreador and use the cool engine curve Doug created for that plane. The stock wingspan is 56 inches so I'll either scale it up 1.25 or 1.5 (70 or 84 inches). I plan to leave off the wheel pants and add retracts so it will look great in the air. I'll either use the color scheme from the picture or the one from the box (I think this is it). I don't know when I'll start on it but I'll create a build thread for it when I do.

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 12
You gonna keep that up front elevator between the booms ? It might make good flaps or something. Or be interesting having it in addition to the rear one or as a second set of split ailerons.

You gonna keep that up front elevator between the booms ? It might make good flaps or something. Or be interesting having it in addition to the rear one or as a second set of split ailerons.

No that's a control line wing flap to make it loop faster. I'll just add the ailerons on each side and the rudders on each boom.

I like the La Donna too.
The rudder design and forward fuselage, has a suspicious resemblance, to the U-NAME-IT/TRIDENT By Larry Scarinzi.
The Muse for technoid,s Trident MK.
https://forums.realflight.com/showthread.php?t=32470&highlight=Trident

Yup that's the first thing I thought too, hey it looks a bit like the Trident. But I like the dual booms (on a dual boom kick lately) and the forward fuselage just takes the cake. So I plan a real fast plane like the Mercury Toreador. Just a cool plane to zoom around with.

Yup that's the first thing I thought too, hey it looks a bit like the Trident. But I like the dual booms (on a dual boom kick lately) and the forward fuselage just takes the cake. So I plan a real fast plane like the Mercury Toreador. Just a cool plane to zoom around with.

Are you talking about my mercury toreador AV fast. You can use the engine that I used. It was a rear exhaust engine so you could run the tuned pipe internally though the bottom of the fuselage. Although the airfoil may need to be thinner than the plans show.

Are you talking about my mercury toreador AV fast. You can use the engine that I used. It was a rear exhaust engine so you could run the tuned pipe internally though the bottom of the fuselage. Although the airfoil may need to be thinner than the plans show.

Oh boy, that was fast for sure. But a bit slower for me I'm an old guy. But thanks though!

I mentioned I sent the guy that built La Donna an email and got a reply from him today he sent two more pictures of the plane and shared some cool history with me about it. After seeing one of the pictures he sent I may change my mind about how I want to model the plane. Looking at the side of the plane there isn't much room for a tuned pipe and also the very short cool looking wheel pants make me want to keep them. So I'm thinking about a few options.

1. Rear exhaust with the pipe exiting the bottom probably mid wing.
2. Using one of the short tuned pipes.
3. Gosh.. dare I say it, go electric. ( please don't tell Fly_electric )

So I don't know where I'll go with it right now. Thoughts anyone!

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    254.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 10
Electric it's gonna need lipo space so I think a nitro with a tuned pipe out the bottom and underneath. Just angle it oh so slightly down and away from the fuselage.

I'm thinking a 70 inch wingspan with an OS 75AX and a MACS One Piece Muffler, that should scoot along really well.

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 10
You'll just have to put in the pressure line tubing going back to the tank or it won't fly .. LOL :)

Back