PBY-5A Catalina

Yep I follow you. Attached is an example of the "missing" nose. (sorry I accidently removed the bottom of the windshield frame also....so it looks a little goofy)

So in theory (and if I have extra polys) I could model two nose sections to fit in this missing area.

Doug...thinking out of the box again. I like it! I'll certainly keep this option in mind.

Attachments

• PBY-5A (7).jpg
    PBY-5A (7).jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 19
You got it. :D

Pushing the limits a little bit is what makes this fun for me. I'm always trying to figure out ways to make RF do things the original developers didn't really have in mind.

I had to put some "shoes" on her to see how she'd look!

Next step: Finish "blister" frames, then get some engine nacelles started.....it truly looks silly with nothing on that simple wing.

Attachments

• PBY-5A (8).jpg
    PBY-5A (8).jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 33
It's looking good. Don't forget how I told you to do the gear doors, it'll go a lot easier.

Thanks Doug,

I actually used your method a couple times. Most recently on Cowboys C-119 (I had troubles fitting the doors, so I re did them in Wings) and I also just did the Il-2 Sturmovik. Your method is quick and easy with great results

Last edited:
Little more progress....the evening was kept busy with a sick son (not fun for either of us) but I did manage to rough out a pair of nacelles and also notch in the main gear bays.

The nacelles still need all the scoops, vents, cowl flaps etc modeled......I just wanted the basic shape there to help visualize the project.

Also take note that I'm not quite as fast as Doug (dhk79) he whips out a new model every 15-20 minutes.....he's a machine!!

Enjoy.....

Attachments

• PBY-5A (9).jpg
    PBY-5A (9).jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 29
  • PBY-5A (10).jpg
    PBY-5A (10).jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 19
  • PBY-5A (11).jpg
    PBY-5A (11).jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 26
how many polys would you guess are into right now??? I was just wondering how much the fuse and wings an such took up.

pilot07 said:
how many polys would you guess are into right now??? I was just wondering how much the fuse and wings an such took up.

Not Sure....I'm sure more than I'd like though. I could check and let you know.

Edit: Just exported to 3dsMax to take a look. Right now it's right at the 7000 mark. Since my last attachments I've also started to add the wing struts (4) But I still have a TON of work left......the gear will eat up a great deal of polys.

Cut out the tip float mounts from the wings and rotated them down, and modeled a set of floats. At the same time I extruded the mount and the wing the same amount (so when It rotates up it's a really nice fit) There is still some "fine tuning" and shaping that I need to do on the floats and mounts...but they are done for the most part.

Started adding in the wing struts.

Finished up on the "blister" framing for the most part...will start on the gear soon.

Here's a few pics to look at (more interesting then reading I suppose)

Attachments

• PBY-5A (12).jpg
    PBY-5A (12).jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 14
  • PBY-5A (13).jpg
    PBY-5A (13).jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 20
  • PBY-5A (14).jpg
    PBY-5A (14).jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 23
  • PBY-5A (15).jpg
    PBY-5A (15).jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 19
Feels like I'm talking to myself in this build thread.....oh well.

Been working on the main gear. I've got all the main components in place. Now I'm working on the attachment points for each of the arms.

Attachments

• PBY-5A (16).jpg
    PBY-5A (16).jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 33
pplace said:
Feels like I'm talking to myself in this build thread.....oh well.

Been working on the main gear. I've got all the main components in place. Now I'm working on the attachment points for each of the arms.

If you can get all of the gear to work as a single component you may be able to make it springy.

Very nice! If you've got some extra polys left over can you add something cool in the cockpit like a dog or something? When i learn to fly full scales i want to take my dog with me. :)

I'll post a colorscheme idea in a bit.

Blade Scraper said:
If you can get all of the gear to work as a single component you may be able to make it springy.

The gear will need to be in several different components to get the movement correct.

Blade Scraper said:
Very nice! If you've got some extra polys left over can you add something cool in the cockpit like a dog or something? When i learn to fly full scales i want to take my dog with me. :)

I'll post a colorscheme idea in a bit.

Uh yeah just send me a picture of your girlfriend.......or did you mean the furry four legged kind? :p I'm sure extra polys won't be an issue on this model.....I'll be surprised if I have enough to finish everything I'd like.

pplace said:
The gear will need to be in several different components to get the movement correct.

Uh yeah just send me a picture of your girlfriend.......or did you mean the furry four legged kind? :p I'm sure extra polys won't be an issue on this model.....I'll be surprised if I have enough to finish everything I'd like.

I'm sure the girlfriend will tell you "you're spending too much time flying and too little time with me"! :D

Do you need a veiw from the top, bottom, left, front, bottom? It would be cool to animate him so his head moves and tail wags. :p But i have to catch him first! :p He's a quick little feller. :)

I think I officially went overboard on the gear now.......and I'm not finished yet! Added the twin oleo struts. I went a bit "extra" on these.....then remembered there were two for each side (4) total...that mistake will eat up some polys that I'll probably need later. Oh well it looks good at least.

Still need to make some brackets, and a mount for one of the hydraulic cylinders.

Attachments

• PBY-5A (17).jpg
    PBY-5A (17).jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 37
I've got some killer pictures. :)

Attachments

• 1228518.jpg
    1228518.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 1276119.jpg
    1276119.jpg
    387.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 1327113.jpg
    1327113.jpg
    223.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 1290875.jpg
    1290875.jpg
    322.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 1310103.jpg
    1310103.jpg
    322 KB · Views: 21
Main gear is finished....I know I wasted too many polys on it...but once I got working on it I couldn't stop (I could have done more....but I had to be somewhat realistic about my available polys) Here are several shots from the front, rear, bottom etc. (In one shot I have the shadows on....it gives it a nice effect....but also makes it harder to distinguish all the parts. So I left the shadows off for the remaining pics.

Attachments

• PBY-5A (18).jpg
    PBY-5A (18).jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 15
  • PBY-5A (19).jpg
    PBY-5A (19).jpg
    45 KB · Views: 12
  • PBY-5A (20).jpg
    PBY-5A (20).jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 20
  • PBY-5A (21).jpg
    PBY-5A (21).jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 34
Looking very good. Grab a copy of my CL-215, for a good example of how to aninmate the gear. It's gear looks about the same and I'll send you the source files too if you want them.

Funny you should mention that Doug, I just closed out of G4...didn't do much flying but was studying your gear setup in the editor for the CL-215. It's tough for me to visualize and get working in my head (or by looking at it) until I start the "trial and error" setup for real. I was hoping to ask you a few questions when I got to that point as well if you don't mind?

Back