PBY-5A Catalina

Added float "X" linkages, engine oil cooler vents and some other minor items. Figured I had had an "overall" shot for a bit so here's a couple.

Attachments

• PBY-5A (22).jpg
    PBY-5A (22).jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 52
  • PBY-5A (23).jpg
    PBY-5A (23).jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 28
THis makes my Helldiver look like poo. I have so far to go and really look forward to being able to fly this. Thanks again for contributing to the community.

willsonman: Have you ever seen some of my early work? Your Helldiver is light years ahead of what I started doing. You just keep up the good work your doing and you'll be a great asset to the forums

Hey thanks for that. Gave another plane in development a trial run last night... I just hope I can make the time to get to that point. Seriously... Some very talented people around these parts of the web.

pplace, this is a really nice job so far and I can't wait to try it out.

A few questions:

• What CAD software are you using?
  • What is the polycount ceiling that you've referenced?
  • What scale will the model be? (please be big!)
  • How much time would you say it has taken so far?

I'm really interested in watching you complete the development of this model. Right now I am designing a 13+' span quad (an RC model) and I'd love to export my design from Rhino and turn it into a working G4 sim with all of the parameters of the actual design, then fly it before I even build it!

Of course it would be fun to share it as well.

Thanks for any input and keep up the nice work on your Cat.

Carl

~I use Wings3D for my basic modeling (it's a free program, easy to use) After the initial "visual" model has been created I export it over to 3ds Max 8 to finish the pivot points, hierarchy (linking) and texture mapping it.

~The poly count is 7000 (I believe) anything below 7000 will need NO collision meshes. Anything above will need collision meshes added (the collision meshes can't total over 1500) so the maximum total for a completed model (with collision meshes) is 20,000

~This PBY-5A is 1/12th scale (or 104" w.s.) at the moment....I might scale it up just a bit more...but I'll decide that in the end.

~Time frame?? I started this thread on the 27th (and started on the model the night before) but I only put in an hour or so each evening (more on the weekends possibly) then again there are days I can't touch the model.....I haven't opened the PBY file since Sunday. I would guess I'm only half done with a completed model at this point. Some modelers (dhk79) can easily whip out a complete model in a couple days...if not less. I always tend to get wrapped up in more scale details though.

As far as Rhino? There are other modelers on here that could give you better advice in that department (maxkop is a good one to ask)

Hope some of this information is useful.

dhk79 said:
8000 is the poly limit for not having dedicated collision meshes.

Aww...I had 7000-8000 in my reply...then went back and deleted the 8000, as it didn't sound right to me. I guess you should never second guess yourself!

Thanks for the correction though.

pplace, the Cat is looking fantastic! Can't wait to fly her :D It's hard to believe the detail you put in the landing gear, are you gonna model valve stems so we can check the tire pressure after a patrol?

I've got a dumb question for the modeling experts out there. I'm trying to learn how to do this and frankly looking at the mass of vertexes and edges and polys is making my brain hurt, trying to grasp what I'm looking at and translate it from a 2D screen into a 3D picture in my mind.

I guess everybody experiences this at 1st? Do any of you pro's have any tips to ease the process of making sense of what I'm looking at? Or is it just a thing you have to work thru until something "clicks" and you start seeing what's there instead of just a mass of dots and lines scattered all over the screen?

DH

pplace said:
~I use Wings3D for my basic modeling (it's a free program, easy to use) After the initial "visual" model has been created I export it over to 3ds Max 8 to finish the pivot points, hierarchy (linking) and texture mapping it.

~The poly count is 7000 (I believe) anything below 7000 will need NO collision meshes. Anything above will need collision meshes added (the collision meshes can't total over 1500) so the maximum total for a completed model (with collision meshes) is 20,000

~This PBY-5A is 1/12th scale (or 104" w.s.) at the moment....I might scale it up just a bit more...but I'll decide that in the end.

~Time frame?? I started this thread on the 27th (and started on the model the night before) but I only put in an hour or so each evening (more on the weekends possibly) then again there are days I can't touch the model.....I haven't opened the PBY file since Sunday. I would guess I'm only half done with a completed model at this point. Some modelers (dhk79) can easily whip out a complete model in a couple days...if not less. I always tend to get wrapped up in more scale details though.

As far as Rhino? There are other modelers on here that could give you better advice in that department (maxkop is a good one to ask)

Hope some of this information is useful.

Thanks very much for the detailed reply. These are all helpful answers to somebody like myself who is interested in starting out with creating RealFlight aircraft models.

I don't have 3DS Max, don't feel like forking out several grand to buy it and definitely don't want to run warez on my machine, but how about open source programs such as Blender for doing the animated skeletals? Is 3DS Max a must-have for this process?

Thanks again and great job on your model. Really looking forward to flying it especially now that I know it will be BIG!

Carl

Haole said:
but how about open source programs such as Blender for doing the animated skeletals? Is 3DS Max a must-have for this process?
Carl

Actually maxkop has been plugging away with blender projects. He is the go-to man when it comes to that. So in a short answer I can answer this: YES you can do the blender route......which will be 100% free. 3dsMax is just the "easiest" way to the finish line.

Feel free to ask any modelers any questions you may have....we all try and help each other as much as possible!

Thanks very much and sorry for derailing your thread. I really appreciate your answers though.

Now get that sweet Catalina flying! :D

Carl

willsonman said:
Any updates?

Sorry but I have zero progress on the PBY (or any other model for that matter)

I've been really busy with my business....and have also put some time towards getting a couple RL models ready for spring flying.

Update:

I did manage to put a little time in on this project late last night. (Sorry I have no updated pics) My main focus was deleting the nose turret and modeling the other version.

I thought long and hard about dhk79's input....but had to decide against it for several reasons. The main being the lack of extra polys for this model. I wasted far too many on the gear.....and know I won't have enough to finish off other detials I'd like to do.

So the option of two different nose "variants" would eat up more polys yet.....I opted for the lower poly version (no turret obviously)

Will keep posted on more progress when it happens

I officially made up my mind today on the PBY version and cs that I will be using. I did delete the turret (as mentioned) but wasn't sure about the "bomb window" I decided to mimic the PBY from one of my favorite movies "Always" I'll duplicate the "Fire Eaters" PBY that John Goodman flew. I do have to do a bit of adjusting / reshaping of the nose (this is more of a pointed nose....as opposed to the flat nose I have modeled)

Below are some pics for an example......and of course when talking about this movie it's a given I have to attach this:

Always Clip....click me

Attachments

• fire eaters 1.jpg
    fire eaters 1.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 16
  • fire eaters 3.jpg
    fire eaters 3.jpg
    362.5 KB · Views: 16
  • fire eaters 6.jpg
    fire eaters 6.jpg
    263.5 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
pplace said:
I officially made up my mind today on the PBY version and cs that I will be using. I did delete the turret (as mentioned) but wasn't sure about the "bomb window" I decided to mimic the PBY from one of my favorite movies "Always" I'll duplicate the "Fire Eaters" PBY that John Goodman flew. I do have to do a bit of adjusting / reshaping of the nose (this is more of a pointed nose....as opposed to the flat nose I have modeled)

Below are some pics for an example......and of course when talking about this movie it's a given I have to attach this: Always Clip....click me
Great choice! Nice colors it looks sporty. :D

Back