pilot ejection

If that were easily doable we would also have bomb drops and other similiar items.

Yeah these have been "fudged" a bit, but they don't work that great.

An ejection seat sits inside the cockpit so it is not in the virtual airflow, permitting the same techniques to be used as for the bomb drops...

Maybe we'll see this in a future upgrade to G4.

Ok I was just wondering.It would be awesome if the bombs and/or plane/heli exploded when it crashed or caught fire.Or if you could modify planes so they shoot little bbs and have dog fights.I could keep going but I guess I'll stop for now. :p

Op,
What if the seat was on a movable pod? Flip the switch, the canopy would open the seat would lift up into the air flow and break off. Of course you really couldnt have a chute and it would just drop to the ground, but its a start maybe.

I've tried adding thrusters to break off items. I couldnt make it work. Is it possible to go that route?

Remember that the way bomb are implemented now is that they are merely a fuselage part that is very weak.

In turn this part is protected by an invisible moving surface.

When the weak part is exposed to the virtual "airflow" it breaks off and falls.

The seat is inside the plane, so even if you were able to make it break off, it would not lift out of the plane.

If you eliminated the canopy then MAYBE you could make the seat fall out, when you inverted the plane... not a good solution...

However this would be great for fun-fly events, such as a donut/bagel drop!

Actually, there is now a component that handles this. I can't remember offhand, but I think it is called a "Droppable Component".

You can set up the F-86's drop tanks to drop on a switch now.

Before someone asks, we didn't ship the F-86 with this capability because there are still a few kinks to iron out.

But that is the mechanism we'll use after the kinks are taken care of.

Jim

Oh, Joy!
Never did really like the old way of dropping objects, this should certainly spur some new creative uses.
Thank You..... :D

opjose said:
Remember that the way bomb are implemented now is that they are merely a fuselage part that is very weak.

In turn this part is protected by an invisible moving surface.

When the weak part is exposed to the virtual "airflow" it breaks off and falls.

The seat is inside the plane, so even if you were able to make it break off, it would not lift out of the plane.

If you eliminated the canopy then MAYBE you could make the seat fall out, when you inverted the plane... not a good solution...

However this would be great for fun-fly events, such as a donut/bagel drop!
When I said movable pod I meant for the canopy to open then lift the seat up into the airflow and then break off.

How about this. Add a lifting component to the seat and a weight to the fuselage to counter act the lifting component. When you hit the switch to shoot the seat out the plane will crash just like it should. Add a little smoke for looks and who knows it just might work.

I do believe someone modeled a Corsair that had folding wings and a drop tank. The drop tank did fall off to easy but it has been done. As for an ejection seat, that would be a cool feature. Hopefully this does get someone at RF thinking about future features.

Well after reading then coming up with my theory on how to do it I had to try it. And had great success using Inky00's awesome F-100. My inner bombs now pop up when you hit the switch and to my surprize fall back down just like an ejection seat would. So yes my Warthog will have an ejection seat :D

Great! Sounds like you are on the right track. I can't wait to fly it. I love the A-10. Gotta love an aircraft that has a gun with a fire rate fast enough to melt it's gun :D

RCHeliAce said:
I do believe someone modeled a Corsair that had folding wings and a drop tank. The drop tank did fall off to easy but it has been done. As for an ejection seat, that would be a cool feature. Hopefully this does get someone at RF thinking about future features.
the plane you're thinking of is the F6F Hellcat. I'm still waiting on a Corsair with folding wings. With the F6F Hellcat, there's some modifying that needs to be done to it before the droptank works correctly as of right when you download it, it just pivots back and forth, but it's modeling is excellent and looks great

rcplanefubar said:
Well after reading then coming up with my theory on how to do it I had to try it. And had great success using Inky00's awesome F-100. My inner bombs now pop up when you hit the switch and to my surprize fall back down just like an ejection seat would. So yes my Warthog will have an ejection seat :D

Thats so cool............ but how does the seat fall back down if it still has a lift component........

You could make the seat the Main Fuse component. and then everything else is just a fuse component off of that. this will allow you to control the seat (But you would lose control of the Airplane once it falls off the seat.

jbourke;
Actually, there is now a component that handles this. I can't remember offhand, but I think it is called a "Droppable Component".
Sound like a good new feature that Jim mentioned. Look forward to trying it.

OPJose;
An ejection seat sits inside the cockpit so it is not in the virtual airflow, permitting the same techniques to be used as for the bomb drops...
OP. AFAIKnew. the fuse component dose not hide any item from the air flow.
I am not sure of what you are saying here ??

Bryce.

I think that will be the hardest part. I would assume it would just fall to the ground since a parachute might not be possible.

HX3D014 said:
OP. AFAIKnew. the fuse component dose not hide any item from the air flow.
I am not sure of what you are saying here ??

Bryce.

Only that the "old way" of doing it had a moving surface blocking the "virtual" airflow, which in turn prevented the part ( bomb, rocket, etc ) from breaking off.

With the pilot inside the fuse, you could not do this, since he would be protected by the fuse itself.

If the physics engine deals with this properly, the pilot would not "break off" and/or if it did merely be shoved to the back.

Of course you could try and get around this with a virtual but invisible drag component attached to the pilot.

opjose said:
Only that the "old way" of doing it had a moving surface blocking the "virtual" airflow, which in turn prevented the part ( bomb, rocket, etc ) from breaking off.

With the pilot inside the fuse, you could not do this, since he would be protected by the fuse itself.

If the physics engine deals with this properly, the pilot would not "break off" and/or if it did merely be shoved to the back.

Of course you could try and get around this with a virtual but invisible drag component attached to the pilot.

wait a minute "drag component" put one of them on the pilots head.... a parachute essentialy is a source of drag that slows the pilot down for less of an impact. :rolleyes:

Back