Plane Request: Hanger9 Showtime!

opjose said:
So the consensus is the Showtime then?

Thanks... I needed a tipping point....

Well, you know what opinions are like... everyone's got one! But for what it's worth... my money's with the Showtime. Even the construction of it seems better than the Funtana. My local hobby shop allows me to open the boxes of different planes prior to buying one... that gives me a good chance to see what I like and don't like about the model. I also like to check some of the reviews for 'red flags'. Anyhoo, like I said, "opinions"... ask three people and you'll prolly get three different "opinions! :D

Opjose,i have a funtana 90 and they are a great plane so i would suggest getting one of them.To be honest i don't see the point in the side force generators as they are only really any good for knifeedge and the funtana will knifeedge all day long anyway.I have a Saito FA 150 on mine and it is truelly unlimited in performance and the extra weight upfront doesn't affect the performance to much as they are quite tail heavy anyway so you don't need to add extra weight in the front.So for me there is no contest as lets be fair the SFG are just gimmicks and you can do anything with a funtana that you can do with a showtime with or without the SFG.

Inky00

That's how I viewed it too, which is why I'm having such a hard time making a decision.

Both seem to be excellent planes.

I'm SOOO confused! :eek:

opjose said:
Inky00

That's how I viewed it too, which is why I'm having such a hard time making a decision.

Both seem to be excellent planes.

I'm SOOO confused! :eek:

I'd open the box of both planes before I made my decission... and yes the Funtana will knife edge just fine but the SFG gives you to ability to do it Much slower. Fly the Turmoil Flatout vrs the 580 Cap Flatout and you'll see what I mean. Also like I mentioned before, the tappered ailerons are the other reason I chose the Showtime. To each there own! hehe...

I've found several raging debates over at RCUniverse on the Showtime versus the Funtana 90.

The Showtime seems to be winning, but the Funtana holds up pretty well.

:confused:

opjose said:
I've found several raging debates over at RCUniverse on the Showtime versus the Funtana 90.

The Showtime seems to be winning, but the Funtana holds up pretty well.

:confused:

Hey opjose.... check this link out if you haven't already. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3106917/mpage_1/key_Showtime/tm.htm <--- looks like the Showtimes winning that battle! hehe... Also looks like I've chosen the right motor for it too... the Saito 125, keep it light and that should do just fine! GL in your choice!

Yeah that's one of the threads I saw.

Pricing things out it seems that the Funtana may be cheaper all around and I can utilize some of my existing servos with it versus the Showtime.

Ugh...

I have a funtana it flys great I had a 90 on it i'm know going gas on everything and its the funtanas turn puting a lite 20cc or 25cc it and if you just want sfg's go with the funtana X and it's better built.

Hope this helps,
Mondell

Oh, it's sooo confusing.

In the end after reading both manuals, I ended up with the Funtana 90.

It was going to ultimately cost me a bit less to put together since I could use my existing Hi-Torque servos... and I can always add SFG's to it easily.

The thing that tipped the scales for me, was that with the Funtana, I could install seperately operable elevator servos into it on seperate channels.

The Showtime supports two elevator servos but the elevators must move in unison because of the cross bar.

The Funtana allows differential elevators!

E.G. I can have flaperons and elevons on the same plane with a 7 channel RX...

I already have TX's that are more than suitable for this.

This will be rather interesting and has all sorts of possibilities for many purposes including gyros for hovering, etc..

I need to model this in G3 so you can see what I'm talking about.

opjose said:
Oh, it's sooo confusing.

In the end after reading both manuals, I ended up with the Funtana 90.

It was going to ultimately cost me a bit less to put together since I could use my existing Hi-Torque servos... and I can always add SFG's to it easily.

The thing that tipped the scales for me, was that with the Funtana, I could install seperately operable elevator servos into it on seperate channels.

The Showtime supports two elevator servos but the elevators must move in unison because of the cross bar.

The Funtana allows differential elevators!

E.G. I can have flaperons and elevons on the same plane with a 7 channel RX...

I already have TX's that are more than suitable for this.

This will be rather interesting and has all sorts of possibilities for many purposes including gyros for hovering, etc..

I need to model this in G3 so you can see what I'm talking about.

Congrats on your new purchase! I also look forward to seeing/trying your G3 version too. I suppose you can always purchase the SFG's from the new Funtana separately anyhoo... I still like mine better though! hehe.... ;)

Ready for Action!

Just an update... took me a while to find the time to put this thing together but I've got the Showtime ready to fly less one more tank of fuel for engine break-in. I'll be bring it out to the field on sunday, run the fourth tank through it, take a few pictures of it before I fly her... just incase! HA HA... I'll also weigh it but I am pretty dern sure that the Satio 125's gonna launch this puppy no problemo! I went with HTech digital servos, (5645's x4 a 5925 for the rudder), throughout and a Futaba 1024PCM receiver, 1650 nmh Sanyo battery, JR HD on/off charge-jack and a Great Planes aluminum spinner to top it off. Sweet looking plane and if it flys half as good as it looks I should be in for a fun day at the field! I'll give you my review of her next week. Cio fer now! :D

Yup, it's in my list of plane(s) for NEXT year.

The significant other has already tolerated, six planes this year(!!!)...

:D

OK guys instead of waiting for Ryans Showtime.....someone else is going to start one.

There are 3 pictures needed to start this.

One from ABOVE

One from the SIDE (left or right side)

One from the FRONT

Attached are 3 example photos.

Attachments

• FRONT.jpg
    FRONT.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 20
I've got a brand new Showtime, still in the box. I've also got one hanging from my ceiling, though it's a bit worse for wear. I'd be glad to do the photgraphs if anyone's interested in modelling it. Give me an e-mail address and I'll send them over as soon as I can.

Actually the disassembled plane is FAR easier to deal with when creating colorschemes.

You can piece together the images when you create the scheme.

The only caveat is that each piece must be shot from exactly the same place with the same lighting.

This is easier if you have a tripod with the camera mounted pointed down (under the tripod) at the actual piece.

Shoot, put in another part, shoot again.

Back