Question about channel mapping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I apologize to anyone that interpreted my words as anger. I truly appreciate your willingness and effort to try to figure out where the wheels left the cart. I didn’t get angry and have yet to hit post reply without a smile on my face.

Issue I had at the point you identified was that 12 didn’t offer additional assistance to try to resolve what MIGHT have been a very simple problem, but it was not resolved for the new member, regardless of how apparently simple the problem was to 12. He announced that it was a waste of time to continue efforts to actually reach a state where the user understood the issue and it was resolved to his satisfaction. Dunno about you, but I do not consider anyone attempting to aid their fellow man, is ever a waste of time, especially in a place established to foster peer support and fellowship.

Still, I did not consider that to be his main offense. That was in deciding to declare the effort a waste of time, he was telling a new user that trying to help them is a waste of time. The implication is that the subject is somehow beyond the capacity of the new user to grasp, both of which are unconscionable.

You have chosen to grant 12 some leeway and interpret the statement in a flattering light. Fair enough. That’s truly ok with me. I see how your interpretation might be wedged into that box in the limited scope of this exchange.

if you would be so kind as to read this recent exchange on another topic and then let me know if you are inclined to view the exchange here in the same light:

Views on any aircraft

From my viewpoint 12 declared this topic concluded, and when I continued to help, he chose to focus on me up to the point that he felt it was necessary to resort to a personal attack on my character and mental health. My pride is not wounded and my reputation stands on its own merits, despite the opinion of a random internet bully. I simply do not shy away from that sort of person or confrontation.

As I started this post, I truly appreciate your effort to mend fences. I will gladly help that or any other effort of good will just as soon as 12 stops stomping on my toes and those of other new users.

About the 14+ year membership and new member status. Both the date and new member badge are correct. I joined the forum in ‘06 and RF9 is my 4th version to enjoy. I never had the time to engage here to any meaningful degree for much of the intervening time, but I have used these forums as a resource for research fairly frequently throughout.

Thank you for encouraging me to continue to give back now that I have the time.

Be well and safe.

caltain ... thanks for the kind reply.
Guess I didn't take 12oclockhigh's comments as you did. I didn't think he was implying you should stop helping, but that you were going too deep for a new RC'er. My thought's were along the same line, but I wanted to get SDRemi squared away and enjoying RF.

At this point you have developed a relationship with SDRemi, and I hope you can guide him thru not only getting that interface (dongle) setup, but maybe instruct on expo and dual rates in his DX6 ... that would be fantastic.
Maybe I thought you were going too technical too fast, but that's just an opinion, not a fact. I should be allowed to express that, and you are also allowed to express you opinion ... we can agree to disagree, and still find a way to help people on this forum. That is my concern.

There is a relatively small group of people on these forums, and we need more contributors ... but as stated, we don't need conflict that may diminish efforts to further our great hobby. Now that you have time, as you say, stay and enjoy ... but PLEASE be patient with us !

Thanks for your efforts!

No problem.

I actually believed from the start that sdremi understands his radio and dual rates just fine. I think it’s the shortage of immediate information in the Select Controller dialog that tripped him up.

It really does appear that the channel “functions” are locked down that point, rather than just data streams that can be mapped to anything from Alien Scout Ship Flight Mode to Pilot Nose Picking Nostril Selection in the radio and editor. (I map PNPNS to the knob on 13 for accuracy... can’t have the little guy poking his prefrontal cortex in the middle of a flat spin... ;-)

1.) I like answers short and simple. I do not care for someone who bloviates on and on like lawyers.
2.) I like answers correct or removed when reported to be wrong.
3.) You did not even know about the panel to set up the radio until the second page of this thread. You admitted that, go look.
4.) If you don't know what you are doing, how can you help others? answer; you can't

1) I honestly could not care less about your opinions on the length of answers to questions you did not ask and/or about which you claim to already know the answers. I suspect I am not alone in that feeling. Your preferences are not community standards. If they ever become so, I may be more concise.

2) Wrong answers are frequently very informative and helpful. There's a reason that the phrase "trial and error" is not commonly known as "trial and success." Though I asked, you still have not blessed us with how I was mistaken or incorrect, given the known facts, nor did you choose to enlighten us with the correct answer(s). You have simply asserted I am wrong.

3) I did go back and confirm my recollection of my posts and the situation at that point. I did not know that sdremi was referring to the contents of the Select Controller dialog as the basis of his understanding of his situation. It's hardly surprising. I don't have his hardware and thus have no knowledge of what elements he has put in play until he names them. In point of fact, however, I have known about the dialog and it's uses for something over 14 years.

4) If ignorance were any real bar to helping others, or oneself, the human race and select others would never have begun using tools, let alone gotten to the lofty heights where you can be needlessly and unnecessarily unkind and intolerant. Also, every field of higher knowledge or pursuit would not exist.

Will you be editing your last post to remove your wrong answers now that I have reported their errors?

Again with the name calling and libel? Nice. You must be a blast to work with or live near.

Thanks again for all your help sorting out my deficiencies. Dunno how I ever made it this far without your cheerful guidance, but I'm undoubtedly better off now that I've gotten your considered expert opinions.

May your life be as pleasant as you have made the lives of others.

Good to see you back! Glad to help!

The InterLink DX was made for use with the sim, so naturally it functions easily and well. Other than possibly the weight and the cable lead from the usual antenna position changing the balance, it should be extremely close to your DX6 in hand feel.

The calibration is easy and fairly flexible if you just cannot stand the default switch selections. It uses all 15 channels separately, so it can be very versatile when needed, or simple when not desired.

The only negative of which I am currently aware is the “creep” issue in the sticks. That is evident in mine and sounds like it’s more commonly noticed by more experienced radio jockeys and precision flyers. It amounts to a variable +/- offset of the stick’s mechanism from the zero point in the data stream. The problem is that it changes by a few tenths of a point depending on how the sticks are positioned when they are released, and amounts to an offset that nearly always involves some fraction of a point. The trim system works on whole number points, so the best you can do is calibrate fairly often, trim to the nearest whole point, and live with the slight variation.

KE has a deadband setting thy works with all controllers except the InterLinks. Those are intentionally excluded from using the setting. Worst case, I can show you how to edit the model files to add your own deadband preferences by stick axis, which is a better solution IMHO than a universal deadband setting. It’s a pain the first time, but you can save it so it only needs to happen once per model.

That’s the scoop. Lemme know if you have questions. I still think you should be 90% or better good with the DX6 and dongle you have, but it’s hard to argue with the ease of the InterLink DX and it’s full 15 channels. Could spoil you for going back to the 6 on the field, but I’m sure you can resist the temptation!! I already have more channels than I use, but I’m still looking at the iX20 every other day.

Be well and safe, and stay active on the forums. It’s really a great resource, especially given the deep knowledge that stems from the previous versions. Lots of that info still applies, so don’t feel limited to just the RF9 and/or possible upcoming 9.5 forums!

cal

caltain ... I went back and read post# 21 where all of this back and forth started.
I can't see where 12oclockhigh attacked you directly, he just stated he thought you were wasting your time trying to teach a newbie advanced programming on a forum. I also thought he needed to just get his landing gear working so he could enjoy flying ... you can look at my post and determine that.

Then you got really angry, but I don't think it was 12oclockhigh's intention too debase you, just point out you may be getting too technical and going too deep to help solve a basic problem.

Your listed as a new member, but the date is July 2, 2006. I'm confused. I'm guessing you joined in 2006 and just started posting ... I don't know how the date thing works. Seems as if you have good knowledge of radio's and RC and I hope you stick around and contribute as 12oclockhigh has, but please leave your emotions at the doorstep PLEASE. We need good contributors but we don't need conflict.

Thanks for offering your help ... and I really hope you can get this new RF participant setup.
We can all have a say though ... correct ?
I think @caltain was just trying to help, and if no one every helped newbies who would really learnanything? I think caltain took offence and stood up to 12 o clock how would you like being called a newbie??

Maybe you should stay the he// out other people’s business. For the record I did not call him a newbie, I called him a lunatic.
No I meant whoever was struggling with channel mapping, and I am sorry to offend you if I came off on anyone side, I am on my side. I think this who arguing thing is stupid, what are we even arguing about?

Then your reading comprehension needs a couple of tweaks. A newbie does not need to know all the theory, background, and nuances. They need a simple answer to their question. Not a toom of information that they cannot even digest.

Keep it short, keep it simple. Don't confuse with too much.

Then your reading comprehension needs a couple of tweaks. A newbie does not need to know all the theory, background, and nuances. They need a simple answer to their question. Not a toom of information that they cannot even digest.

Keep it short, keep it simple. Don't confuse with too much.
I am not sure if I read it wrong but that felt like a slight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back