RAF FE2b

Thanks again. Here I have added in the edge split modifiers with some sharp edges. :)

Attachments

• EdgeSplitModifiers.jpg
    EdgeSplitModifiers.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 15
I got a chance tonight to work on the Horizontal Stab and Elevator.

Attachments

• HorStabElev.jpg
    HorStabElev.jpg
    237.2 KB · Views: 15
This modeling stuff can be quite frustrating at times. Here is the really messed up rendering within RF6. Compare it to the rendering in Blender. I tried reassigning normals. It did not help. The colors are assigned (baked) not mapped, other than the box fuselage.

Attachments

• ScreenShot1335660467.jpg
    ScreenShot1335660467.jpg
    493.6 KB · Views: 24
  • OKColorAssigns.jpg
    OKColorAssigns.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 18
I don't know if you meant it this way but there is nothing wrong with the rendering within RF. You've just missed something somewhere.

:eek:Now that Im off my phone, I see the real problem:eek:

Are you using a mirror modifier? If so, did you apply it?

Also, if you hit "N" to open the properties window, scroll down to mesh display, find normals, then click face. this will show spikes pointing the direction of the norms.

Attachments

• zzz.jpg
    zzz.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
I don't know if you meant it this way but there is nothing wrong with the rendering within RF. You've just missed something somewhere.

Oh, I'm sure the problem is on my end. In no way did I mean to even imply there was a problem with RF itself.

Thanks Andy. I was actually just about to write another message. It turns out the normals somehow got really messed up. I have corrected the top left wing and aileron so far and things look much better. Here is that partial work. So at least I know what to do. Turning on the display of normals really helped out. In fact, there is no way I could have corrected it otherwise.

Attachments

• ScreenShot1335718635.jpg
    ScreenShot1335718635.jpg
    355.5 KB · Views: 14
Ok. I got the normals straightened out and also fixed the pivot point for the elevators while I was at it. Now back to actually making new "stuff".

Attachments

• ScreenShot1335727366.jpg
    ScreenShot1335727366.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 6
  • ScreenShot1335727481.jpg
    ScreenShot1335727481.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 7
I got the basic fuselage shape carved out. I'm currently at 2430 polygons, which is a good thing, since I'll need them for the many struts, guy wires, and other details.

Attachments

• ScreenShot1335734376edit.jpg
    ScreenShot1335734376edit.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 13
Shortcuts for normal recalculation in blender:

Ctrl+N: Recalculate normals outside

Ctrl+Shift+N: Recalculate normals inside

Greets,

Max

Thanks Maxkop. I have tried the commands on these wings but for some reason, it gets just completely messed up. Attached is what happens after I recalculate outside with Ctrl+N. Note the shorter normals that are coming from the bottom of the wing (and are wrong). Also note the ones on the leading edge that should be pointed out but are pointed back.

Fortunately, it is possible (although a pain) to fix them by hand.

Attachments

• MessedUpNormals.jpg
    MessedUpNormals.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 17
Is it possible to have normals of one object pointing in and out? What I see looks right. :confused:

For perhaps the clearest example of what is wrong here, notice that on the far left of the leading edge (from our point of view), all the normals are pointing outward. Then notice the normals for the leading edge one set of faces to the right. Notice how some of the normals are pointing backwards. That is because they are pointed inward from the bottom of the leading edge.

Little by very little.

Attachments

• ScreenShot1335837782.jpg
    ScreenShot1335837782.jpg
    356.2 KB · Views: 12
  • mmr.jpg
    mmr.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
To me, that looks like the bottom part of the wing. Those normals would point down.

Here is an extreme closeup of the leading edge of the wing where the normals are bad. Notice that some of the faces have two or even three normals poking out. That is because the normals from the top of the wing are good, but some of the normals from the bottom of the wing are pointing up (going through the inside first) and then coming out the top. Notice the blue dots on some of the faces. Those are where the normal is starting inside instead of outside. I think part of what is confusing you is that the selection color makes everything kind of look brown like the bottom of the wing is colored.

Attachments

• badnormal.jpg
    badnormal.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Back