Real Flight For PS3

jeffpn said:
But why would you want a sim of any sort if you don't do the real thing? Of course, there are exceptions, I stated that in my post. I still say that most people who own RF are now, or soon will be AMA members.
I think there is a certain appeal to it for people who are thinking about getting into RC. I know the demo booth always draws a crowd at the LHS, and when we had it setup at a party once and several people were getting into it.

You might have to alter it some to appeal to a more casual setting, but I think a couple simple obstacle courses (some rings to fly though), and maybe some timed objectives would give it party appeal as a 360 title.

Even without that, I wouldn't underestimate the number of people who would download it just to try it (you don't pay the $20 unless you fully "unlock" the game). There are also plenty of Xbox players who buy these games just to get the accomplishment points. The attention span for these games doesn't have to be more than a week or two. It's not "RC for life" like it is with a $200 simulator product.

You're probably right about the sales figures on the PC though. 250,000 may very well be high, but I don't think its an order of magnitude off.

Last edited:
I was not talking about just any product...you have taken me out of context... I was talking about a version of Real Flight on the XBox... I am sure somebody with some money behind them has looked at this and backed away. If the project were to start now, it would take one heck of a product to pry the market away from current suppliers, and overcome the "DO NOTHING cause I already have it" syndrome. The market of people wanting this experience does not seem to be the vast numbers anyone here has suggested. People sure are not beating down the doors to learn to fly RC or full scale.

I come from experience developing my own product and competing against existing suppliers, I found a niche and something where a need existed and no product existed to cover the need. If I had just started head to head against a larger company on the same product line, I would have been toast... so come back when you have some real world experience. You idea people are all alike... it takes a lot more than an idea.

Spareparts said:
If everyone thought like this, then no one would ever produce any product - ever.

wjkssmd said:
I am sure somebody with some money behind them has looked at this and backed away.
How can you be sure of that? And we're not talking about "somebody with some money behind them", we're talking about a company that already has a working product on a compatible platform.

Still, its quite possible that KE doesn't even own the rights to the RealFlight code, so it may be Great Planes that needs to be convinced. I'll admit that that would be a tougher proposition since a $30M potential isn't going to mean as much to a larger company.

wjkssmd said:
You idea people are all alike... it takes a lot more than an idea.
I take the "idea people" label as a compliment. The world needs more idea people. It is the naysayers that are a dime a dozen. It does take more than an idea, it takes the commitment to get off your behind and do it, even while everyone around you scoffs.

Spareparts said:
250,000 may very well be high, but I don't think its an order of magnitude off.
I think 25,000 copies per year would be alot closer to the actual figures. Currently there are 37,813 members of these forums. I know that not all people who purchased RF are members here, but I'm sure there are also many members here who have not purchased RF. Some members have bought every RF major release like I have, but others have only bought 1 copy. It's all speculation, but a quarter million copies per year is alot of sales.
tnorton12000 said:
Back and forth, back and forth. Time to close this thread I'd say, Admins?
Maybe, maybe not. You don't have to read it if you're not interested.

Jeff you know as well as I that this has been debated before. The link in post #2 of this thread went no where?

Heh, Tnorton, you know as well as I that alot of the threads started here have been discussed before. ;) :D That link works fine for me, what do you mean it went nowhere? (Or did you mean the discussion in that thread went nowhere? [like this thread, yes])

tnorton12000 said:
The discussion went nowhere, LOL!
I for one enjoyed it. It's not like any of us work for KE, so the whole thing is hypothetical anyway. I was just trying to debate it with people who wanted to debate it.

I don't really care if tnorton12000 was convinced one way or the other, or whether he/she enjoyed the thread or found it useful. Once tnorton12000 gains admin rights to the board, then maybe I'll care, but probably not even then.

Don't take it so personally. Just throwing my thoughts out there.

I'll never have admin rights, I'm a user just like you?

jeffpn said:
I think 25,000 copies per year would be alot closer to the actual figures. Currently there are 37,813 members of these forums. I know that not all people who purchased RF are members here, but I'm sure there are also many members here who have not purchased RF.
I looked for sales figures on the web, but couldn't find them. There used to be organizations that tracked this, but I haven't paid attention to PC software in years. Given G4 had been out for 12 months, and the TREX for G4 has been downloaded 35,000 times, I would assume that there are many more than 35,000 copies of G4 out there.

Even if 50% of all G4 users came to this forum and downloaded the TREX (which I doubt), that's still 70K copies in 12 months. Could that download count include the G3 version??

tnorton12000 said:
Don't take it so personally. Just throwing my thoughts out there.

I'll never have admin rights, I'm a user just like you?
I didn't take it personally. Sorry if it came off that way. I was just trying to say that all the threads on this forum don't have to be for you. There's no need to post messages asking for a thread to be locked just because you don't like the topic.

Spareparts said:
I looked for sales figures on the web, but couldn't find them.
That's funny, I did that too. Heck, I went a step further... No joy.
Spareparts said:
Given G4 had been out for 12 months, and the TREX for G4 has been downloaded 35,000 times, I would assume that there are many more than 35,000 copies of G4 out there.
I doubt that 35,000 different people downloaded the TRex. I would guess that many people downloaded it multiple times for whatever reason; deleted the original file, installed it on a second computer, whatever. So I'll label your point the straw man argument.
Spareparts said:
Even if 50% of all G4 users came to this forum and downloaded the TREX (which I doubt), that's still 70K copies in 12 months.
I don't know. I wouldn't be surprised if most RF customers download aircraft. I think the most popular issue on the forums is how to install custom aircraft, so I know a TON of people download. (Incidentally, when I answered that question for the millionth time, I changed my avatar to the current one.) And if you click on the Who's Online on the forum main page, most users are downloading, not looking at forums/posts.
Spareparts said:
Could that download count include the G3 version??
It certainly would, since it's a G3.5 model.

Ps3

HX3D014 said:
can the PS3 play G4.5 and all it calculations at that resolution (1080P)

I thought that a PC's Graphics card (Todays GTX280 for example) was far superior to the PS3 Graphics. is this not true ?

Bryce.

The Ps3 is not a super computer, the graphics for a console game is different then a pc game, its a new ball game. Do you want it in blue ray too.

Your right, pc graphics are superior to PS3.
i can hook my pc to my HD 1080i tv and play RF with no problem.

can you use a dual graphics card in a PS3, no..

RF in console, no... it wont happen

jeffpn said:
That's funny, I did that too. Heck, I went a step further... No joy.
It looks like the last 6 digits of the Interlink serial number may be sequential. Mine is in the 48,000 range and I bought it in March 2008. Did you get yours right away? Are the last 6 digits lower than 48,000?

Spareparts said:
It looks like the last 6 digits of the Interlink serial number may be sequential. Mine is in the 48,000 range and I bought it in March 2008. Did you get yours right away? Are the last 6 digits lower than 48,000?
My last 6 are in the 180,000 range and I just got G4.5 real recently.

Huh, mine are not above 012,000.
I had G.4 on back order for one month from Tower before it came out though.

Last edited:
tnorton12000 said:
Huh, mine are not above 012,000.
I had G.4 on back order for one month from Tower before it came out though.
Heeleycopter said:
My last 6 are in the 180,000 range and I just got G4.5 real recently.
Again, mine is 48,000 in the March '08 range.

I think we're on to something here ... see what we can do when we put our minds to it :) .

It looks like about 180,000 units sold over the past 15 months - that's about 144,000 units a year. More than my initial 100K guess (before I upped it to 250K), but less than my posted guess of 250K. If you average the two I was pretty close :) .

Last edited:
If that's true, I bought mine after tnorton, but before spareparts. Mine was a Christmas gift in 2007. If they are merely sequential (I have my doubts) then what's the purpose of entering the numbers on the software and the Interlink during registration. The numbers may be distributed in order, but they may skip a few. In other words, let's say that the SNs are only from 1 to 10. But the only numbers that are actually used are 2, 7 and 9. If someone were to try to guess at a registration screen, and use the number 8, the software would know it's not a legit copy.

Last edited:
jeffpn said:
If that's true, I bought mine after tnorton, but before spareparts. Mine was a Christmas gift in 2007. If they are merely sequential (I have my doubts) then what's the purpose of entering the numbers on the software and the Interlink during registration. The numbers may be distributed in order, but they may skip a few. In other words, let's say that the SNs are only from 1 to 10. But the only numbers that are actually used are 2, 7 and 9. If someone were to try to guess at a registration screen, and use the number 8, the software would know it's not a legit copy.
Possible, but unlikely. It seems way too simple. The more likely case is that the first part of the SN is the security, some of which is probably a complex hash of the lower digits. I really think we nailed it at about 150K units a year.

Back