RealFlight 6 the latest in realism

thats what I've always thought

a4magic said:
If the new Physics engine does act different, you would expect that KE would adjust the engine to recognize older files and load the old physics settings.

worst case scenario is that you will (should) be able to have both RF6 and any other version loaded on the same machine .......all is not lost ;)

What about older airports ?? ..when G4.5 came out I had to re-edit several of my G4.0 APs to work correctly
Speaking of APs.......
Are we going to see anything new added in the AP editor?......there still IS an AP editor ...right?

"Quick Edit"....I hope we'll still have a full ("slow" :p ) Aircraft editor

Is RF6 still going to use RFX files?

Anything new in the MP dept.?

Last edited:
And the thing I'll bet everyone is Wondering and hoping for .........
HOW ABOUT IMPORTABLE ENGINE SOUNDS ?????
or at least some new ones !!! (hint: some radials :D :D )

I'll just bet Jim is not happy with the start of this roll out. :mad:

I am sure that it will all get sorted out. One thing about swaps content... hey the program has to have flexibility to move forward... I am sure making physics changes was not taken lightly. The heli guys have been dissing the physics for quite a while. I am glad someone was listening.

Last edited:
I'm disappointed to learn that airplanes and helicopters are now separate and must be purchased independently.

Too many questions for me to answer today but some quick responses...

The aircraft list in RF6 includes both helis and airplanes. There are some new aircraft in RF6. The new Dominion 400 and 450 3D are designed to fly similarly to the popular Blade 400 and Blade 450 3D helis. The "Thunderbolt Sbach 35%" is now a part of the regular product.

New airports include "HD" versions of Joe's Garage and Soccer Field, as well as a new PhotoField, which I think is our best yet.

There are two additional products called "Mega Packs". The Airplane Mega Pack includes airplanes already found in the early Expansion Packs. The Heli Mega Pack includes some nice new models as well as some helis from the Expansion Packs.

Newcomers to RealFlight will be able to buy bundles including RealFlight and the Mega Pack of their choice.

There will also be an upgrade disk available, and the Mega Packs will be available separately.

Therefore most of you will be able to just buy an upgrade disk. Some of you may also want to buy a Mega Pack.

There is a new controller design which will be available only in the Heli edition of the sim. This controller swaps the position of Channel 7 and 6 and has a non-ratcheted throttle stick. These features were highly requested by heli pilots.

I can't tell you when the products will be available or comment on pricing at this time, but I will say we've done what we can to keep the pricing reasonable.

There is a new Physics dialog which lets you simply select the physics realism or customize it. There is a new "Quick Load" gadget which lets you find aircraft...quite honestly this is my favorite new feature. There is a new Quick Edit system which lets you adjust simple things like control surface throws and other items without having to go into the full featured vehicle editor. Quick Edit is nice for newcomers to the sim who might otherwise be frightened off by the editor.

We've added a lot of new little things to the sim. The smoke is pretty much rewritten, which is going to cause some conflict with the swap page aircraft I'm afraid, but we wanted to make progress here. Smoke looks a lot better and it leaves actual smoke trails that linger. The physics of the smoke particles is a lot better also.

We've added motion blur to wheels, props, spinners, and heli mechanics. That looks a lot better than in G5.5.

There is a new "Orbit" camera available on "Ctrl-E" (not to be confused with pivot cam on "E") which is quite awesome.

We also have the new "Rewind" feature. If you press reset the vehicle resets as normal, but if you hold down reset the simulation plays backwards. This lets you reverse the effects of a mistake. It's great for learning and also fun.

We've also added WASD controls in the airport editor and made lots of other little improvements I won't list here.

Jim

Mikeymike21 said:
Hey Jim, Has the issue with the tail blade/paddles been fixed?

Not sure. When you get RF6 let me know if you still see the issue. We fixed a lot of bugs but I can't remember this one.

Another question, is there a governer for electric helicopters now?

Yes, and flybarless support is vastly improved. The heli physics are quite advanced now.

Jim

Maj. Numbskully said:
And the thing I'll bet everyone is Wondering and hoping for .........
HOW ABOUT IMPORTABLE ENGINE SOUNDS ?????

This was on the list but had to be cut. It's still something we'd like to do.

Jim

***EDITED MY POST since Jim posted addressing most of what I was talking about***

I guess the best thing I can do is stop speculating and wait, sitting on my hands. This is all I felt like keeping from my original post.

Last edited:
I'm surprised KE is going the "best of" route with the Megapacks. I've bought every AddOn and Expansion Pack made, along with G2, G3, G4, and G5. I'd hate to have to buy a Mega Pack that mostly contained models I already have, just to get a couple new files. To me, that's like being a Beatles/Led Zeppelin/whoever fan, having all of their albums, and then having to buy a box set that contains all of the albums you already have just to get 3 previously unreleased songs.

Kmot said:
I'm disappointed to learn that airplanes and helicopters are now separate and must be purchased independently.
This has been going on for quite some time now. If you fly airplanes you buy RF, if you fly helis you buy Phoenix. Wake up KE!! It's not just the physics that's caused the problem but also the content. Running up the cost to customers by splitting up the plane/heli content, with this lame list of obscure helis, no matter how well they fly, is only going to speed up the migration. So far IMHO this whole RF6 release looks like a feeble attempt to generate new revenue with the minimum amount of reinvestment into the software. I am totally disappointed in both Hobbico and KE for the direction this software development has taken. I was hoping for so much more. I bet all this is causing quite a chuckle over at the competition now that KE has shown their hand.

td9cowboy said:
Running up the cost to customers by splitting up the plane/heli content, with this lame list of obscure helis, no matter how well they fly, is only going to speed up the migration.

I don't understand where you are coming from, unless you think brands like Align, Thunder Tiger, Miniature Aircraft, Gaui, Synergy, KDE, etc are obscure.

If there is someone else you'd like to see, chances are we tried to get them into RF6. We are only able to reproduce helis for which we have permission. If you would like to see a particular heli in RealFlight, please contact the manufacturer and let them know you'd like to see them work with us.

Here are the helis included in the heli edition of RF6 (includes Mega Pack content).

Agusta A109
Align T-Rex 500
Avant Aurora
Avant Aurora 3D
Bell 222
Bell Jetranger
Bergen Intrepid 90
Bergen Intrepid Gasser EB
Boeing AH-64 Apache
Boeing CH-46 Sea Knight Micro
Curtis Youngblood Rave ENV 90 Nitro
Curtis Youngblood Rave ENV 700
Curtis Youngblood Rave 450
Dolphin (.46)
Dolphin 3D (.46)
Dominion 400
Dominion 450
Dominion 3D
Dominion 3D 90
Ecureuil
Finch (.049)
Foiler .60
Gaui X5-FES
Heli-Max Axe 400 3D
Heli-Max Axe CP
Heli-Max Axe CX Micro
Heli-Max Axe EZ
Heli-Max Kinetic 50
Heli-Max Kinetic 50 (Trainer)
Heli-Max MX400
Heli-Max MX450 XS
Heli-Max Novus 125 CP
Heli-Max Novus 125 FP
Hind Mi-24
Huey
Impala (.30)
Impala (.30 Trainer)
KDE Direct 700
Mako F3C
Miniature Aircraft Fury Extreme
Miniature Aircraft Ion-X
Miniature Aircraft Stratus 90
Miniature Aircraft X-Cell Furion 450
RAH-66 Comanche
RJX Hobby X-treme 90
Robinson R22
Schweizer
Schweizer w/Floats
Skyartec Wasp 200XE V4
Spritzer (4-stroke)
Sun Dog (Sport .60)
Synergy N5
Synergy N5C
Synergy N9
Thunder Tiger Innovator Expert
Thunder Tiger Mini Titan
Thunder Tiger Raptor 90 G4
Thunder Tiger Raptor 90 SE
Thunder Tiger Raptor G4 E720
Thunder Tiger X50B (Belt-Drive)
Thunder Tiger X50T (Torque Tube)
Tutor 600
Tutor 600 (Trainer)
Watt Not EP
Westland Lynx

Jim

Buy Now??

Jim,

I have a friend that wants to buy now but wants to know if there will be a free upgrade period, or should he just wait?

Thanks...

Hang in there Jim,

Oh come on... we have been talking about a new release any time for a couple of months. I am sure they will treat you kindly. They have before.

knud pedersen said:
G6 Nice.
I just bought the G5.5 two weeks ago :eek: :eek: :eek:
Taht was my 4th bought of a RF :eek: :(

Jim, I can't think of one good reason why any model aircraft manufacturer wouldn't be thrilled to be included in any sim. As you know, it's the distributors that also distribute the their brand of sim that control the content that gets posted. The shameless self promotion of their own brands on both of the big two sims is disgusting and is just bad for the hobby in general. You might have noticed that there are a few relatively small heli companies out there that are not distributed by the BIG TWO. Those seem to be the only ones that seem eager to be included on anybody's sim. Was there a threat of lawsuit over the t-rex 500? Seems odd that you were able to get permission to do that one with the blessing of Jason Krause and none of the rest of their line up. There are enough variations (nitro/electric,flybar/flybarless) in their line up alone for a mega pack. Horizon has even fallen behind in their Align offerings and many others so they can include all their own in house brands, many of which haven't even been released as real models yet. I gotta go fly something and get calmed down :D

Distributing models by a software company all comes down to liscensing. This even applies to non-RC aircraft. Some companies love the free advertising, while others may have loyalties to a particular distrubutor and it's the legal battle at that level which prevents content from being created and released by a said manufacturer.

I'm sure KE would love to create and distribute any popular aircraft they wish, but they are not in the position to do whatever they want unfortunately. This brings the whole swaps page into light. The swap page presents an unparralleled opportunity to have any model in the sim without legal implication behalved to Knife Edge.

Jim, thanks for the clarifications.

It seems that new and editable engine sounds will be a future upgrade. :cool:

Back