realflight 9.5 doesnt work very well

Timerider

I have had RF 9.5 since fall of 2021 but have only used it a half dozen times, the plane dont get very far away then turns into a thin shimmering line of light. Im really wanting to use it because, well i paid for it! And i want to improve my flying skills. I have it installed on an Lenovo ThinkCentre M91p with windows 10 pro. I dont see where the computer wouldn't meet the system requirements.
Im told i cant upgrade the graphics card as it is integrated into the motherboard. I have hooked it to 3 different tvs and it has worked slightly better on one of them but still not very good. These are the lenovo specs.
Intel Core i5-2400s Processor
4GB
250GB 7200RPM S-ATA HDD
no diskette drive
PCI/PCIe Ultra Small Form Factor (1x2)
Intel HD Graphics
DVD Recordable
Gigabit Ethernet

I have an opportunity to buy a used Dell Optiplex

Details​

• Condition
    Used - like new
  • Brand
    Dell
  • Color
    black
  • Processor Type
    I7
  • RAM Capacity
    20gb
  • Hard Drive Capacity
    256gb ssd
Just built this budget gaming pc This pc is great at 1080p gaming Perfect for starters Only the tower and power cord is included Feel free to message if you got any questions Specs I7 4770 Msi gtx 1650 ventus xs oc 20gb ddr3 ram 1600mhz 256gb ssd Stock Dell psu.

Wondering if this would be a better computer for RF 9.5. Any thoughts

That configuration should run RF quite well if the price is right. Certainly MUCH better than the i5 4G with a spinning HD & onboard graphics. I'm not sure it would be enough if you want to do VR.

I wouldnt be doing VR, i can barely fly with the plane right i front of me. Thanks for answering, how much does the monitor/tv have to do with the overall scheme of things? Also does Realflight work ok with windows 11?

IMHO, the monitor doesn't make a whole lot of difference as long as it supports the resolution & it's working properly. I'm sure people with expensive "gaming" monitors will argue with that. I'd suggest configuring for the native resolution of the monitor/tv. I'm still running RF8, but I have it installed on 2 different computers - an i7 laptop with integrated graphics & Win11, and a desktop i7 with a GTX960 & Win10. No problems with either one, but the desktop performs much better, as expected due to more cores, more RAM, & MUCH better graphics. The display "quality" isn't really much different. The real difference is much better frame rates. I doubt that it has anything to do with W10 vs W11. You might want to turn on "binocular view" which will display an enlarged view of the aircraft when you get too far away. That will probably help with your current configuration, too.

The price for the optiplex is $350, i dont know if thats a good price or not. i know what i paid for our Macbook pro 15" new, and in the that 15 yrs before that i bought a couple old thinkpads for a couple hundred apiece. I havnt seen any other used gaming computters for less. not that this is any major gaming computer, he advertised it as good for a beginner gamer

Last edited:
Price might be a little high, but doesn't sound like a rip-off price, especially if it's from a local shop that supports their product. Optiplex 9020/7020/3020 are solid PC's. But keep in mind that 4th gen i7 can't "officially" run Win11. It will run W11, but you'll need to jump through hoops to get it to do so. My desktop is an HP i7-4790/32G running Win10. The laptop is also 4th gen & I jumped through those hoops to get it to run Win11.

Don’t have 9.5 but I’d assume this would still be an option. Have you changed your zoom to keep in view? At least I think that’s what it was called.

Apparently it has 11 on it and said he would install 10 if i want him to. Im not a computer guy, and would hope to buy a stable running and performing computer.

11 should be stable on that machine - it runs fine on my 4th gen laptop. IMHO, there's no reason to be afraid of it. But "officially" Win 11 requires an 8th gen or later CPU and TPM2.0. Earlier processors are likely to be using TPM1.2. There's an easy work-around to allow PC's with TPM 1.2 and/or earlier generation CPU's to install it. That workaround was provided by MS, so it's not a fly-by-night thing to cheat the system. I don't hate W11. I simply prefer W10, mostly because I'm more familiar with it and I don't think W11 gives me anything I NEED that I can't do in W10. I'm tired of every new version of Windows moving/hiding things I've known how to do for years. Windows can still do EVERYTHING I could do in XP and even DOS. But I have to hunt that stuff down when they move it around for no apparent reason. And I REALLY don't care that W11's colors are different, the interface is more "modern" & the windows have rounded corners instead of square ones. If it ain't broke, don't "fix" it. I have a Windows machine to DO stuff, not sit down & admire the pretty new colors & rounded corners.

P.S. I'll install W11 on my main machine when MS stops issuing security updates for W10 in a couple years.

Last edited:
grosse bêtise j'ais voulu prendre real flight 9 en passant par Steam énorme erreur impossible de synchroniser la radio le logiciel semble en décalage ,j'ais tenter les divers réglages impossible l'avion met un temps a répondre j'ais real flight 7.5 avec le cd il fonctionne nettement mieux ,
petite correction depuis j'ais posé cette question à mon neveu qui s'y connaît mieux que moi en pc et il m'as tout simplement conseiller de brancher la radio sur une des prises usb à l'arrière du pc depuis real flight 9.5 et evolution fonctionne nickel sans decalage

Last edited:
I dont care much about the OS as long as its stable RF simulator is the only thing its used for. Bill you mentioned earlier about a monitor supporting the resolution, I dont see anything in the RF system requirements about resolution. Or is it that the computer is capable of a certain resolution and the monitor should meet that?

Or is it that the computer is capable of a certain resolution and the monitor should meet that?
The best visual quality should be to use the native resolution of the display. For instance, displaying a 720P image will not be as sharp as a 1080P image on a 1080P display.

so I do have a 1080p tv but does the refresh rate make a difference. I know its a lot of questions but im just trying to get a good experience from what i have to see where is best to spend money if i need to

For fast-moving first person shooters, it might matter. With the movement speeds in RF, I doubt that the refresh rate makes a significant difference.

So got a computer, installed my realflight and it wouldnt take my serial number for activation. Do i need to be connected to the internet to activate it ?

Ok all set up with the newer Optiplex computer w/gtx 1650 graphics card, RF works a lot better really glad i decided to go with the interlink Dx since i was upgrading a bit.
Does the graphics card petty much just work the way its supposed to or is there some tweaking and optimizing that should be done? Same with windows 10, are there performance optimizations that can be done? Realflight is the only thing that this machine will be doing. I did a search for these questions but came up empty.

bonsoir, pour moi problème résolu en utilisant la prise USB l'arrière du pc qui as plus de puissance

TimeRider...I have the exact problem you describe in your original post. I've described my experience as the plane turning into a pulsing blob of pixels that makes it virtually impossible to know what orientation the plane is in. Consequently, almost every flight results in a crash. Very frustrating and disappointing as I really need this practice tool.

I'm using a brand new Dell Latitude 5420 laptop (not specifically a gaming maching) with 64-bit Windows 11. Bottom line of your research and situation?? Were you able to solve this so the visual graphics display the plane without binocular, zooming etc...?? Like you, I've chosen not to use it unless I can figure this out.

Thanks

Back