RealFlight G3 graphics card support

opjose said:
The XFX 6200 is a standard Nvidia 6200 card, which works with G3.

Note that this is not a great performing video card, compared to newer units.

As such G3 will work best with "medium" settings.

Could be that turbocache is the extra provided with the XFX 6200. The card appears to be working fine with the default settings in G3. Perhaps you are not exactlly right on this one maybe? As stated.....the card is dated 12/05. I admit that I don't know that much about video cards and that I may not be exactly right that this card is different than a standard 6200, but it does seem to work ok.

bob

Pretender said:
Could be that turbocache is the extra provided with the XFX 6200. The card appears to be working fine with the default settings in G3. Perhaps you are not exactlly right on this one maybe? As stated.....the card is dated 12/05. I admit that I don't know that much about video cards and that I may not be exactly right that this card is different than a standard 6200, but it does seem to work ok.

bob

No...

Turbocache is a misnomer for shared memory scheme. Something which is NOT preferable for G3.

Shared memory borrows slower main RAM memory from the system for video use.

A card with dedicated memory is preferable and produces far better performance with larger texture sizes.

If anything "turbocache" is something to be avoided... it's a marketing ploy.

The 6200 is a DX8 compliant card, so you are getting "ok" performance because many of the advanced features are being disabled by the drivers to compensate.

opjose said:
No...

Turbocache is a misnomer for shared memory scheme. Something which is NOT preferable for G3.

Shared memory borrows slower main RAM memory from the system for video use.

A card with dedicated memory is preferable and produces far better performance with larger texture sizes.

If anything "turbocache" is something to be avoided... it's a marketing ploy.

The 6200 is a DX8 compliant card, so you are getting "ok" performance because many of the advanced features are being disabled by the drivers to compensate.

Would you be willing to tell me what card would be best for my system? Say one of these?

http://www.compusa.com/products/products.asp?in_dim_search=1&N=-872&credir=1

Last edited:
Would the following system tower run G3 at its Optimum?

-Asus A8V-E Mainboard w/
Gigabit LAN/ SATA RAID/Wireless 802.11g
-AMD Athlon 64 3000+CPU w/1GHz FSB
-Nvidia GeForce 7600 GT/256MB/PCIe TVOUT
-1GB Corsair XMS 400Mhz. Memory
-WD Caviar SE 160GB SATA Hard Drive
-52X CDR/RW/16x DVD Rom Combo Drive
-Sony 3 1/2" Floppy Drive
-Realtek ALC850 8-CH Audio
-Microsoft Windows XP Professional OS
-E-Trust E-Z Antivirus

I appreciate your imput. Please help as I get frustrated when I have no idea what I'm dealing with.

bob

Pretender said:
Would you be willing to tell me what card would be best for my system? Say one of these?

http://www.compusa.com/products/products.asp?in_dim_search=1&N=-872&credir=1

Of those listed the Ultras or the GT will do the best job.

The GS has fewer pipelines. If you are going to spend the money on a good graphics card, don't miss going those extra few yards.

These are DX9 compliant with Pixel shaders 2.x AFAIK.

Performance on the newer 7800's or higher end ATI offerings will be better though, albeit at an increased cost.

Pretender said:
Would the following system tower run G3 at its Optimum?

-Asus A8V-E Mainboard w/
Gigabit LAN/ SATA RAID/Wireless 802.11g
-AMD Athlon 64 3000+CPU w/1GHz FSB
-Nvidia GeForce 7600 GT/256MB/PCIe TVOUT
-1GB Corsair XMS 400Mhz. Memory
-WD Caviar SE 160GB SATA Hard Drive
-52X CDR/RW/16x DVD Rom Combo Drive
-Sony 3 1/2" Floppy Drive
-Realtek ALC850 8-CH Audio
-Microsoft Windows XP Professional OS
-E-Trust E-Z Antivirus

I appreciate your imput. Please help as I get frustrated when I have no idea what I'm dealing with.

bob

That should do fine, but you may not be able to crank EVERYTHING up fully.

But even on my 3.6gHz machine I cannot max out all of the settings either.

BTW: Consider adding a dedicated audio card like the SoundBlaster X-Fi.

With the right drivers the Realtec Integrated does a decent job, but it places more of an audio workload on the CPU than the discreet cards.

This should work with Medium settings.

The video card is fine, but you need more RAM and ideally a faster processor with more on board cache... to get maximum performance and video effects...

e.g. no Celery's.

so? what must i do?

im planing to buy an acer 5622 it got an ati x1300

in http://www.knifeedge.com/rfvc_compatibility.php
it sais:

ATI Radeon X1300 2005 Tested?.No. Work?.No. Texture problem (unconfirmed)

but the x300 is tested and work, x1300 is just the same version improved, i dont understand why it shouldn't work.

any one can help me? or explain me why they think that x1300 do a testure problem?

zaapa said:
so? what must i do?

im planing to buy an acer 5622 it got an ati x1300

in http://www.knifeedge.com/rfvc_compatibility.php
it sais:

ATI Radeon X1300 2005 Tested?.No. Work?.No. Texture problem (unconfirmed)

but the x300 is tested and work, x1300 is just the same version improved, i dont understand why it shouldn't work.

any one can help me? or explain me why they think that x1300 do a testure problem?

Try to get a different card if possible...

There are several problems with the 1300.

First there are DIFFERENT versions of the 1300, some use dedicated video memory, others use a shared memory scheme (the Turbo Cache ones...).

The chipsets also seem to vary.

Second it may be that the 1300 is not fully DX9 compliant, even though it states it is.

If you already own it, run one of the 3D benchmark tests for DX9 and make sure that the card runs ALL of the DX9 tests. Since these stress thest all functions lack of full compatibility usually means that the program will skip a test or two, where the card cannot perform it.

If the card is not DX9 compatible, COMPLAIN to ATI.

All of that said, be sure that you run G3 initially at no more than 1024x768 until you are sure that it works with your card.

Some of the higher desktop resolutions take too much video RAM away from the 3D applications.

i didnt bought the acer 5622 so i cant perform test's.

that's a shi*t bcos all acer's core duo got an ati x1300/x1400/x1600

Will i be able to run the Reflex Simulator? or thats not the perfect forum to ask about the simulators of other companys?

Thnks any way,

PD: In the list the cards x600/x700 are not present :p

thnks ,

there is the latop acer 1652 too with x300

in the list they say it works fine...

i will get a Pentium M then... =(

zaapa said:
i didnt bought the acer 5622 so i cant perform test's.

that's a shi*t bcos all acer's core duo got an ati x1300/x1400/x1600

Will i be able to run the Reflex Simulator? or thats not the perfect forum to ask about the simulators of other companys?

Thnks any way,

PD: In the list the cards x600/x700 are not present :p

thnks ,

There are reports that the x1400's and x1600's do work.

Search the threads.

And see:

https://forums.realflight.com/showthread.php?t=11396&highlight=X1600

Last edited:
thnks opjose

Just the last question: (bcos i didnt found ny thread about it)

Will a Nvidia GeForceGo 7300 work?

It's not listed on the compatibility list, but i think it should work right? all nvidia are marked as "Y" or "P".

And in nvidia.com they say:

Supporting the latest games
With support for Microsoft® DirectX® 9.0 Shader Model 3.0 and High Dynamic-Range Lighting (HDR), GeForce Go 7400 and 7300 lets you rip through all of today’s most advanced and cutting-edge games and applications.

It should work right? now my questions is if its better x300 or better 7300...

on google and forums some people say better x300 and some other say better 7300... =(

thnks

zaapa said:
thnks opjose

Just the last question: (bcos i didnt found ny thread about it)

Will a Nvidia GeForceGo 7300 work?

It's not listed on the compatibility list, but i think it should work right? all nvidia are marked as "Y" or "P".

And in nvidia.com they say:

Supporting the latest games
With support for Microsoft® DirectX® 9.0 Shader Model 3.0 and High Dynamic-Range Lighting (HDR), GeForce Go 7400 and 7300 lets you rip through all of today’s most advanced and cutting-edge games and applications.

It should work right? now my questions is if its better x300 or better 7300...

on google and forums some people say better x300 and some other say better 7300... =(

thnks

The link I posted above above talks about the x1600 working.

This thread talks about the x1400 working...

https://forums.realflight.com/showthread.php?t=12820

"Go" cards indicate "mobility" products. These are subsets of the larger cards found on good desktop system.

There are usually some limitations on the mobility products so you have to be a bit careful.

Basically a good gaming Laptop will have no problems with G3.

The problem is that most laptops are not gaming machines.

Last edited:
geforce 6600 AGP 4x works fine

A couple of posts a ways back asked if the geforce 6600 card works.

I just installed mine (XFX geforce 6600 DDR 256MB, $105 @ Page Computers) and after some problems, mostly getting my dual dvi monitor setup worked out, I got G3 to run and seems to work fine.

I did have a crash the first time I ran it, rebooted, updated the nvidia driver to the latest and it works fine.

I got some good help from calling tech support at realflight. Those guys are awesome, they'll work through it with you if they possibly can. Reading threads, doing the basic detective work, seems to help.

Get the latest direct X (9.0C), run the directx diagnostic, check your monitor/monitors to make sure they're both functioning properly with directx, and you should be okay.

Also, I think, based on my experience, Athlon chips just get funky with some configs...and who knows what those hardware configs might end up being?

I have this rig: Pentium 3.06C, 2 GB DDR 3200 ram, Asus P4PE mainboard, 4X AGP slot, 400 watt power supply, two Samsung 19" monitors, both with DVI connections. oh, windows 2000, latest service packs. Very stable system for 2+ years now.

The XFX card has it's own power plug port, but a pigtail splicer comes with it so you can tap off your power supply harness. Make sure you plug in that power or you'll probably not get G3 to run...I couldn't until I plugged it in...at first I couldn't find the port, though it's right there on the card. :p

The tech guys at Realflight told me that Radeon cards in general have problems with G3. He said get any geforce card 5600 or above, I think that was the number, and it should work.

Personally, the tech guys are great, but I think it's unconscionable that a software company has the gall to charge this much money for a program that has such limited hardware ease of use. I'm thinking of the network multiplayer problems I read earlier and the number of cards, the vast majority in fact, that won't run. Pretty lame responses from the company too, they ought to be busting butt to make this thing as user friendly as possible.

The poster who said "we're not gamers, we're rc pilots who want to train" said it right on the button.

still, the program runs great...once you get it running.

skypix said:
but I think it's unconscionable that a software company has the gall to charge this much money for a program that has such limited hardware ease of use.

I dunno...

It's unfair to say that it has "limited hardware ease of use".

I've installed G3 under various configurations including ATI and Nvidia boards and different Intel processors... all have run flawlessly.

In all cases thought these are machines that I know can run the latest software and have fully DX9 compliant video cards.

The number of different configurations posted here contradicts the "limited hardware" statement.

As far as cost, I was initially put off by it too, but then after realizing how much G3 saved me in training, parts, and frustration, it's been a bargain and a half.

At the moment G3 is the premier RC simulator. Others charge just as much but give you far less.

Price out Reflex for one... oops no 3D fields, no dynamic environments, etc.
Aerofly (same price)... lousy heli modeling, horrid environments.

Hmmm... G3 is a bargain by comparison.

I appreciate your points. It is indeed a fabulous program, no question about it. I'm not dismayed at the accomplishment of the programmers, but the marketers who could be a little more forthcoming about the fact this is not a program that fits even a majority of the hardware systems out there.

The complexity of designing such a comprehensive program across many many hardware varieties must have been enough to make the programmers want to chew their fingernails down to the elbows.

I've been getting to know the program and it's truly awesome. I can tell it's going to make me a much less damage-prone pilot very soon. I'm already zooming around with the L-39 and the Sabre Jet, occasionally doing deliberate smoking-crater auger ins as well as having fun with retracts and flaps and stuff. Soaring in the Sierras is really realistic...much like flying a hang glider, and I know personally about that having been a hang glider pilot since the 70s. The simulation is truly awesome.

I was voicing the justifiable, I think, frustration of many like myself who felt they had to go to far more trouble than they should have to get it working. Of course "should" is a relative concept. One man's no-sweat should is another's technical apocalypse.

I think the RealFlight tech support dept. is marvelous, maybe the best I've come across in 23 years of computing. I also believe a person shouldn't have to go out and buy a card from a fairly limited list (by my quick count: around 200 cards listed. 27 are "yes" - about 12% - and another 82 - about 40% are "probably") just to get it running, especially when he's got a good system already working that runs advanced games well.

It's not the yesses that are intimidating, but those probables...you're requiring a lot of your customers to be willing to take a risk or make a change in their hardware. My risk, buying a new XFX dual-head DVI geforce 6600 card, worked out. But you can't deny someone who's hardware works for everything they run, but won't run G3, from feeling let down and bummed out. It's a human thing: here's this great restaurant that offers wonderful baked goods in the front window for all to drool over, only you have to wear a plaid pair of pants, carry a mini-ipod in your left shirt pocket, wear black horn rimmed glasses, white buck shoes and have an Exxon credit card in your wallet before they'll let you in.

Well, I'm getting a little silly now, but maybe you can see my point...it's mostly frustrating to get what seems to be an off the shelf program, especially for that money, then have to jump through, potentially, a lot of stressful and time-consuming hoops to get the thing running. Software engineering shouldn't be the pin-the-tail-on-the-donkey game that it was 10 years ago. There's that "should" again. :p

Nonetheless, time to move on: now that I'm one of the lucky ones who's got a running program with wind in the trees, sound, shadows, the full enchilada, I am happy with it and will recommend it, with the appropriate caveats: this is not a slam-dunk install like many other programs, so doublecheck that video card list and hardware-up, cowboy; and also be prepared to spend time with tech support if you have problems.

Fortunately, guys like Mike and Alex on the tech support phone line do a really great job, and they'll help you work it out, if it's workable.

Last edited:
skypix said:
One man's no-sweat is another's technical apocalypse.

That's pretty good, I'll have to remember that quote...

skypix said:
I think the RealFlight tech support dept. is marvelous, maybe the best I've come across in 23 years of computing. I also believe a person shouldn't have to go out and buy a card from a fairly limited list (by my quick count: around 200 cards listed. 27 are "yes" - about 12% - and another 82 - about 40% are "probably") just to get it running, especially when he's got a good system already working that runs advanced games well.

It's not the yesses that are intimidating, but those probables...you're requiring a lot of your customers to be willing to take a risk or make a change in their hardware.

This is not G3's fault.

It's the nature of computers and programming in general.

( I've heard this about sooo many different programs... )

Programmers who are right now writing the next version of G3 (G4) or other software MUST write for the machines that will be out a year AFTER their new software's release.

e.g. given a year or more developement time, they are writing for machines 2-4 years from now.

If they don't do this, they'll come out with a program that is technologically "dated" and will not sell.

Nor would I buy it!

In effect you purchased a state of the art piece of software. Your machine has to be up to the projected minimums.

No you DO NOT, -NEED- to go buy a new card if your computer met those minimums already, but then you will not get best performance.

You do not -NEED- to buy a new card if your computer met the recommended specs or exceeds them.

Unfortunately your computer needed a new card.

You would have faced this problem with other software sooner or later. It just bit you when you tried to run G3.

You would have had the same problem with Doom3, Half Life 2, MSFlight Sim 2004, or any other program with DirectX9 compatability requirements.

Any computer that can run those other programs flawlessly has NO problems with G3.... (with the exception of the known AMD/Nvidia issue.... and even that has a workaround)

The list of supported cards are only those that were tested. Other cards based upon the same chipsets as those tested SHOULD run fine, so the list is indeed larger than the 200 mentioned... (though I find 200 pretty impressive...).

No one is requiring anyone to make a change in their hardware (you can always return it if it doesn't work right?).

I ended up with a new machine to run Half Life 2 and other new programs... that is just the nature of the moving computer/hardware target.

We WANT the latest and greatest....

hmmm... Xbox 360's, PS/3's,etc... all bank upon this constantly moving target.

Yes it can be frustrating at times.... but at least with the computer you can SOMETIMES replace one part as opposed to the whole unit... that's a big plus in my book....

Now if I can just rationalize that new 7800 Ultra SLI setup to the significant other....

:D :D :D :D

Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in with a little perspective. I recently purchased a new PC for my 10 year old daughter and just for fun installed G3 and updated it to .430 Did it run?? Oh yeah runs pretty good actually and with the photofields and setting on about medium across the board FPS are in the 70's. Why am I telling you this? Because her new PC cost $190 (from Best Buy) and I have the reciept to prove it. Its an eMachine w/AMD cpu and Ati card and it was the cheapest PC in the store :D

Back