RealFlight G3 graphics card support

Sapphire Radeon X1600 XT and X1900 XT

X1600 XT works fine, but I decided to up my card to a X1900 XT for Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter(GRAW) to run it on high settings and X-FI Sound is extreme on settings for GRAW. The card runs G3 depending on aircraft max settings on photofields at 1280 x 1024 32 bit around 125-200 fps on the X1900 XT. The X1900 XTX will get you about 6 fps on games for an extra $100, but it is the same card as the X1900 XT. It is just overclock a little more than the XT, but the XT can reach the standard XTX clock. Sapphire does the best job on ATI overclock scores. I bought both cards from ZIPZOOMFLY.

System 3800 AMD DUALCORE 3.0 GB RAM 2000 MHz FSB

@eval95
If I learned anything in life it is : Never believe a salesman if he´s talking about technical details, inform yourself from reliable sources !

Sorry but the system-requirements specify a directx 9 compatible graphics adapter.
Your card is over 7 years old and definitely not up to date with modern 3D applications, the RAGE 128 Pro is directX 6, so better forget it.

Depending on the money you can spend there are some cheaper cards that would do it e.g. ATI Radeon 9800 ; Nvidia FX 5200 ; Nvidia GF6600GT ...
But make sure you buy a card that supports the AGP 4x from your Motherboard !

Attachments

• Namenlos2.jpg
    Namenlos2.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 93
I've been putting off purchasing a new system for too long and it looks like G3 is going to provide the impetus to start throwing the plastic around.

One aspect in particular I'm curious about. Would G3 take advantage of an SLI based graphics setup?

Thanks!

Yes, but I believe SLI is a little overkill. but if you ask r1der he would disagree. I would just get a 7900GTX if you've got the money. 4GB of RAM also woulde help.

Video Card Selection-which is best

I'm planning in buying a new Mac Pro desktop with Two 2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon processors so it will run XP. This new computer has a 16-lane, double-wide PCI Express interface for up to 4 GBps throughput and up to 300 watts of power. This platform should be more than enough to run G3 but which graphics card to choose?The choices Apple gives for graphics cards are:

GeForce 7300GT 256MB;
Radeon X1900 XT 512MB or
NVIDIA Quadro FX 4500 512MB, Stereo 3D

Which would be best for running G3?

If you can run the respective drivers for all of those cards under bootcamp consider the following...

The 7300 is a scalled down "low end" 7x00 series Nvidia card...

IMHO either the Quadro or the ATI might be better choices.

opjose said:
Yeah, nice card.

Go into the Nvidia control panel applet, and set anti-aliasing to 2xQ.

That causes all anti-aliasing to be done in hardware with no load on the CPU at all.

I can't find a switch for anti-aliasing. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place. Exactly how do you get to this option?

Don't use the Web Based Nvidia Control Panel (You can turn it off).

Then you'll find all of the settings in Control Panel/Display/Advanced.

Under Global Settins you'll see anti-aliasing... with a slider that permits you to adjust the amount of anti-aliasing.

The "Q" entries are done completely in hardware.

pilot not computer whizz

Here is the deal. I bought G3 after flying it at the local hobby shop. I am a pilot fullsize and RC, not a computer whizz. I have spent countless hours reading up on video cards operating systems MB, RAM and every other acronym out there. All I wish to know is simply this.... what computer is the average population using to fly this sim. I have a sony Vaio lappie and desktop. Is there a computer off the shelf that will run this sim without getting upgrades, cancelling errors, slowing down and adjusting gizmos and gadgets.....All I want to do is fly the sim not join NASA as a computer Technician,

Any comments??
Jonathan

Already answered here:

https://forums.realflight.com/showpost.php?p=58478&postcount=14

You have to have a fairly adecuate machine. A Vaio simply doesn't cut it.

Laptops in general are problematic because the vendors are purposely taking many shortcuts.

So here is what you need:

- Machine/CPU SPEED. Nowadays 3.2gHz should be considered a minimum. However more is better.

- Main system RAM. 2 gigabytes is a good number for G3 and standard for all machines that I put out for employees.

- A fast hard drive with space. A modern 200 Gigabyte 7200 RPM Sata drive or better is ideal.

- An Optical Drive. Modern Combo DVD-/+/RW drives are cheap.

- A dedicated sound card, such as the SBlaster line. This offloads the CPU from having to deal with audio.

On board audio is usually lacking and causes problems. Get a dedicated audio card.

- And lastly and very important... a DECENT video processor (GPU) such as ATI or Nvidia, that has DEDICATED Video Memory, of at least 128 megs or more.

This is the thing that trips most people up, as they assume that their newly purchased machine has a decent video card.

Often the manufacturers utilize cheap "on board" video chips that have little to no 3D processing power. Think of the GPU as being it's own computer that only handles putting things up on the screen.

This computer requires MEMORY to run. Cheap video controllers use main SYSTEM RAM (that 2 gigs from above) to act as a "buffer" for anything related to video.

This is an abysmally slow mechanism that is often used in laptops to avoid additional costs and hardware.

What you need is a seperate "board" or "card" that has descreet components that do all of this. This "card" has it's own higher speed memory (128 megs or more) that the GPU uses.

In this memory all of those nice pretty textures that G3 puts up, are temporarily stored as the airport loads up.

Once done the computer (CPU) is then free to deal with physics computation, and your inputs, while the GPU and AUDIO processors handle graphics and sound respectively.

----

Basically any decent "gaming machine" has all of this.

G3 Video Card Support

I'm considering a laptop that comes with nVidia Geforce Go 6100. I don't see it listed on the compatibility chart. Anyone know if it is supported?

Sig

Last edited:
It´s a chip with shared memory that is said to be especially good for special video formats but I wouldn´t call it a good choice for realtime 3D-rendering.

It supports direct x9 but it won´t have much performance, and the memory it uses is taken from system memory so you will loose that memory for main processor tasks. :(

Well, I have read this post and the official supported graphics cards list and have to say I am confused.

My dad wants to run G3 on a laptop, and this one (see link below) was the best price point I could find that appears to have a dedicated graphics card (Radeon X1600 Mobility) .

http://www.pcnextday.co.uk/products/ProductDetail.asp?ProductCode=3382-6301

and it passed COmputer Shopper magazines 3D gaming test with flying colours.

However, the official supported graphics card list for G3 says it doesn't work yet you guys say it does.

As far as I can see, the 256Mb for the X1600 mobility on the laptop seems to be dedicated memory.

What is you guys opinion on the machine? Will G3 run on it? and if so will it run like a dog with no legs?

graphics card question.

I installed G3 today and I'am running a "Navidia Geforce mx440 with agp8x". I lauched the program and it showed that the card didn't fit the bill and some features won't function properly. However I'm able to use the program and fly the aircraft. My question is what am I missing? Special effects? or? I really don't want to go out and buy a $100+ card if I don't need to. Thanks

You are probably missing many particle effects, specular highlights, etc.

Also have you tried running a complex 3D airfield?

You'll find that G3 will slow down quite a bit with that card.

Do you think I would still be okay to learn to fly with it? Or will it hamper the learning process? thanks for the reply..

Back