RealFlight menu bar disappears after I edit an aircraft - help

slaughterj

When I open the edit aircraft option and exit the edit screen (even without editing anything), the RealFlight menu bar (simulation, aircraft, environment, etc.) disappears. I can't find anything in the help file that discusses hiding and restoring the menu bar. Anyone have any suggestions?

That is normal when you running the sim in "Full screen mode"

The editors run in Windowed mode only.

I'm far from an experienced flyer and light-years from an editor, but I only fly or edit in windowed mode.

To toggle between full screen mode (main menu hidden) and windowed mode (main menu showing on top) press, "Alt-Enter"
To bring up main menu (temporarily) in full screen mode, press, "Alt" (occasionally, you may need to hover the cursor over the top left of menu area to activate)
Also, Check the keyboard mapping, on the back of your installation guide, or press "H"
Or, print out a nice, full page copy, using this link: https://forums.realflight.com/showpost.php?p=264289&postcount=17
Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Not in full screen when bar disappears

I understand about full screen mode. The disappearance occurs when the simulation is not in full screen mode. Any additional thoughts would be appreciated. Could it be something in the NVIDIA graphics setup?

If you would, please provide a little more information, It might help us help you. Which version of RealFlight are you using, and what type of interface?(InterLink, wireless ect) When you open the "launcher", look in the upper right Quadrant of the window, for the specific version (like 7.50.011)
Has this been a problem, since install, or something that has developed, since some change, to this program, or in your system.
Does the menu bar disappear completely, or does it "loose focus" and become inaccessible?
Are there any other issues you've noticed, like not being able to use reset (interface button, or space bar)
A few DIAGNOSTIC TESTS you might try, is, change airports, and see if this brings menu bar back. CAN you toggle between full, and windows mode, if you can, does the menu come back then? Try temporarily disabling your antivirus, and see if this clears up the menu issue. Please report back. Helping you, solve your issue, may help solve, someone else's.

Last edited:
Also, what operating system are you running RF on?

As I discovered when I spoke to support about menu bar problems I was having on Windows 8.1 Pro, they told me that the RF 7.5 code base is DirectX 9 (from back in the Windows XP glory days). This has caused compatibility problems with Windows 8.1 (DirectX 11). Windows 7 also uses DirectX 11 so perhaps compatibility problems could surface there.

In my case when I set Full Screen as default (RealFlight/Simulation/Settings/Graphics/Hardware/Full Screen="Yes"), the menu bar disappeared and the sound stopped.

Yup, Windows 8.0 and use full screen mode as an overlay, instead of rendering to a separate screen buffer.

In a sense with DX9 applications, there is no "full screen" mode in Win 8.

So that screws up the programs written to support it.

DX10 & DX11 programs however can get exclusive control of the screen.

Back