Request Aircraft here

markran said:
Thanks for posting this so that us newbies can understand what is needed to create a new plane model. Just a newbie suggestion but it would be helpful if someone could post an example of what a *perfect* plane request would look like. I saw all the funny joke ones (what not to do) but didn't see any examples of doing it right.

Has anyone ever made an awesome request with copious documentation, detailed specifications in well-organized tables, isometric photos, hi-res texture captures, etc? If so, can we please get a sticky link to that? Then we'd know what you want and that would vastly increase the odds of getting requests worth considering.

Even better would be a template that showed by example what is needed. If it was in a "fill in the blanks" format then those wanting to make a serious request could know what they need to gather and how to format it in a way that's most useful.
See post #1599 ;)

Markran, you're a rare bird. I've never seen anyone mention what you did. Bottom line, make the modeler WANT to build your model. I'm never intrigued by somebody saying how popular a model is, and they can't believe it hasn't been done already. Your greatest chance getting your request picked up is by providing a 3-view of the model. Look at any request by the user named Norton. He always includes 3-views. Tell a little story about the impact this plane has had on you. Provide specs on the plane you want - wingspan, powerplant, etc. Post a pic of the real thing to show the colorscheme you want. The more real information you can provide on the plane, the better your chances. I can't take the time to make a request template for you. 2 reasons - nobody would use it, and I'm too busy modeling.

One thing I forgot to mention - stand alone threads (for me, anyway) do not increase your odds of getting a request picked up. The only time I'll pick one of those up is if the thread is made when I'm looking for a request. Otherwise, I only go to this thread here (Request aircraft here thread) to get an idea. By that time, stand alone request threads have long been buried.

Last edited:
The basics.........
1)....adequate three views
either line drawings or photos taken from the perspective of a 3-view
(strait on ..............side , top , front views )

2)....aircraft/RC Model specifications

3)photographs that show details unique to the model in question

4) be prepared to supply photos or links to photos of the aircraft/ Model
strait on clearly showing graphics and or text (for graphics purposes ....use NO flash ! )
if it takes 20 pics......so be it

5) once someone picks up your requested model ...........CHECK IN DAILY
or at least every other day
to see if the modeler and /or the person doing the CS or Physics has requests for additional information or photos !!!!
if there is a request made at least acknowledge the fact that a request was made
we understand that it may take you some time to search / gather / take pictures of the requested info ............but don't leave the modeler/CS'er hanging...wondering .....dead in the water
if the requested info/photos can't be had ....SAY so
;) ;)

Last edited:
Thanks for the info and reference to post #1599. Like I said, I'm new around here but looking at the example provided, I'm amazed. I mean that's all? After seeing the posts about giving enough info, I thought it would be, I don't know, hard...

I guess that's why some of you seem a bit cranky. Your requesters really are lazy layabouts. I assumed that the requirements would be not just high contrast isometric views but also scaled to 1mm per pixel (wouldn't that be handy?). Then separate high res images for each texture surface and that would be just for starters. What you are actually asking for seems pretty trivially easy.

The one part I'm still unclear on is where Maj. says

2)....aircraft/RC Model specifications​
I assume you need more than the basic specs like length, width and weight. What would those other specs be exactly and in what form? For example, opening up the aircraft editor and browsing I see things like:

"Incidence at Root (deg)", "Washout at Tip" and "Parasitic Drag Factor"

I'm sure I could measure whatever is needed with my trusty calipers and digital scale but I don't know what some of these things are. Perhaps you don't need them all and maybe some are estimated or derived, but which ones do you need? The basic specs for a plane generally list a total flying weight but I don't see where to enter that in the model (I'm looking at the EasyStar model). It seems that the weight is given per component for some items (like "vertical tail") but not for others (like "battery"). How does a requester know which parameters to supply? I'm still a little confused.

- Mark

Usually a post like the one provided (1599) is enough for you to get interest from a modeler. Any specific information can be provided in the email, PM, and posted conversation. I.E...Close views of electronics or battery placement or CG..so on so forth. I agree what we ask for to get started is trivial but you would be surprised by some of the complacent requests posted here. By post #1604 another half hearted lazy request was made. Provide interest without hipe and you will be on your way to flying the model you requested in the sim.

usually whatever specs listed by the mfg. are sufficient ..
.but those trusty calipers should be kept handy though...you never know what a modeler/ physics guy may ask for

fyi ..
to see ALL the editable parameters in the Aircraft Editor make sure you have "Display Advanced Properties " check marked in the Editors "Options" ;)

I feel you are over thinking things a little. Give the basics, along with three views (front, top, side), and reference pics to peak interest. Don't try to bribe a builder or give a lame "I like this plane" request. Show the modeler you are willing to give ANY assistance they desire if you are able. After all, they are on their time and their money (so to speak). We do this for the pleasure of doing it, and its no pleasure doing all of the leg work for someone else. I can tell you, from your questions, when you do request, you will have a good chance of getting your model done. I wish more people were as concerned as you about getting it right.

As said
the most important thing is to pique someones interest...........I've seen people beg and provide all the necessary info and get nowhere ........ yet others just post a single pic or referece to an aircraft and have modelers jump on it :confused: :confused:

One more thing, once your request is picked up, DON'T rush the modeler. That's a sure fire way to get it dropped. Some models take hundreds of hours to build, and the person on the other end is doing this as a favor on their own spare time. ;)

If I may make a request.... Im a Navy geek so I would like to see some navy trainers... such as the T-2C Buckeye...

Attachments

• rok_buckeye.gif
    rok_buckeye.gif
    7.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 3535351694_e82c846c79.jpg
    3535351694_e82c846c79.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 16
  • t2.gif
    t2.gif
    43 bytes · Views: 91
It's not a T-2, but here's one to start your Navy Trainer collection:
https://forums.realflight.com/index.php?resources/9089

t-34cmentor97477.jpg

Jeff and Boof

jeffpn said:
I'll type this real slow so you can understand. Norton requested a model. I offered to help him make it himself. Before he responded, you had the plane already started. How am I the one being difficult?

Maybe you are him, maybe you're not. Doesn't really matter - you act just like him.

Didn't mean to start such a ruckus. Jeff is correct in saying I have a interest in modeling. But was also correct in saying I'm really time limited. I have 0ne week to finish a 9' by 10' built in wall cabinet and just signed a huge 3 month job.

Love being able to work but it is cutting into the hobby time ;)

Jeff, thank for the offer. I will take a rain check.

Boof, thanks for taking on the project.

Holy crap! I'd be afraid to fly that thing. Big beautiful bird like that with so much money wrapped up in it's construction. No way.

Hangar 9 Piper Pawnee

I just searched the swaps, and to my surprise there is not a Piper Pawnee. It's a pretty popular r/c model and lately I have been watching and filming a buddy fly his.

So here is an official request:

Can someone please create the Hangar 9 Piper Pawnee for RF?

Thanks! :)

Some of my photos:

Attachments

• Desktop.zip
    486.3 KB · Views: 9
  • jZipA37A.zip
    181.9 KB · Views: 5
  • res109.jpg
    res109.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 12
  • res113.jpg
    res113.jpg