RF 7.5 Bug Reports

abaser

I hate to be the first to post on this subject, but I thought I'd try out the "fit to visual" option on my Hog Bipe. Each and every time I tried this I got the old "unexpected error" message followed by the crash. In order to get this to work, I had to delete the current frame. When I did get it to work, the accuracy really wasnt that accurate. For example, my wings are fairly straight, but the frame given was a tapered wing with a swept leading edge.

Another glitch I ran into was after selecting the component visual, the drop box didnt disappear no matter where I scrolled. See pic below.

Attachments

• ScreenShot035.jpg
    ScreenShot035.jpg
    482.5 KB · Views: 44
It would be nice of the editor could actually remember the layout I want it to have, the default one is sh... pretty bad in my opinion.

"THE FILE IS READONLY. CHANGES ARE NOT BEING SAVED TO DISK. *EDITOR CLOSES*"

Last edited:
yes the new layout of the editor is different , i liked the old one better , but then i was really use to it this may grow on you , (like a wart?) haha

Last edited:
I hate to be the first to post on this subject, but I thought I'd try out the "fit to visual" option on my Hog Bipe. Each and every time I tried this I got the old "unexpected error" message followed by the crash. In order to get this to work, I had to delete the current frame. When I did get it to work, the accuracy really wasnt that accurate. For example, my wings are fairly straight, but the frame given was a tapered wing with a swept leading edge.

Another glitch I ran into was after selecting the component visual, the drop box didnt disappear no matter where I scrolled. See pic below.

Identifying bugs is one of the main points of a beta. Yay! :p
Could you send us an EA of your Hog Bipe and the name of the component with which you're experiencing the Fit to Visual crash?

The "Fit to Visual" operation isn't expected to be super-accurate at this point. It's meant to be a time-saving first step when setting up a new model, getting the physics for a component most of the way there, such that you only need to nudge a few things a little bit afterward to get it just right. Using it on a model that is already set up and fine-tuned is likely to take things in the wrong direction.

I can't personally reproduce the problem with the Visual Frame dropdown like you mentioned, but I've filed a case all the same.

yes the new layout of the editor is different , i liked the old one better , but then i was really use to it this may grow on you , (like a wart?) haha

I've had the luxury of using the new vehicle editor as it gradually came together over the past year, so I don't know first-hand what it's like to suddenly start using it after being used to the old one. What I can say, though, is now that I'm wholly used to all the niceties of the new editor, returning to the old editor makes me cringe a little.

Do you have any more info about how and when you're seeing this, or the exact text of the error message?

In the editor, I usually close out of it using Alt-F4 and then clicking yes when it asks to save. Then this exact error appears, with a single OK box, editor closes, changes are lost.
When I remember saving in the editor it also happens from time to time, leaving me like ":eek::eek::eek: lucky me, that could have ruined a lot of work!"

I'll take a screenshot the next time I see it, but that won't take too long I suppose, had it like 10x today.

ahahahaha that was quick... There you go..............

attachment.php

Attachments

• readonly.jpg
    readonly.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 45
ahahahaha that was quick... There you go.............

Interesting. That error message shows up when, as you might have guessed, the file it's trying to save to is read-only (in the Windows file attribute read-only sense). I will file a case about improving the handling of such a situation so changes aren't inadvertently lost, but I'm still confused as to why the file would be read-only in the first place.

The file in question is the .rfvehicle file inside your Documents/RealFlight 7/CustomVehicles directory. Do you have any 3rd party software on your computer that might be automatically changing file attributes? Antivirus programs, for example?

I forgot to mention:

What's more interesting is that error message is coming from a secondary read-only check. The first read-only check says the file is writable, but shortly afterward a second read-only check says the file is not writable. Again I wonder if some antivirus program is meddling with things.

Only have Avira installed, shouldn't be messing with readabilities.. Also, the rate of getting this message drastically increased with 7.5, the amount of errors I've been getting today is usually what I got in a MONTH on 6.5 and 7...

I posted in another thread about a physics problem with a new quad copter...

When fast forward flying the Octocopter 1000, IdleUp2, high rates, the bird starts spinning and the spin cannot be controlled with rudder. I was flying FPV from a nose camera.

Last edited:
@Johnny31297: Can you post or PM me the full path to your RealFlight 7 documents directory as it exists on your computer? This is purely speculation, but I am wondering if a special character in the filename is sometimes confusing the read-only check.

I've had the luxury of using the new vehicle editor as it gradually came together over the past year, so I don't know first-hand what it's like to suddenly start using it after being used to the old one. What I can say, though, is now that I'm wholly used to all the niceties of the new editor, returning to the old editor makes me cringe a little.

i was trying to be funny , may have come across otherwise , but the larger scale in editor is nice , also the new layout is easy to learn no problems there , 8)

@Johnny31297: Can you post or PM me the full path to your RealFlight 7 documents directory as it exists on your computer? This is purely speculation, but I am wondering if a special character in the filename is sometimes confusing the read-only check.

C:\Users\Jonas\Documents\RealFlight 7\Vehicles\CustomVehicles

..no ä, ö, ü or ß there :D

i was trying to be funny , may have come across otherwise , but the larger scale in editor is nice , also the new layout is easy to learn no problems there , 8)
Hah, you got me. ;)

Sometimes people get really attached to what they're used to, and resist any change, no matter how objectively positive...

Back