RF-8 Airport Design Basics

Warpspeed

I like to design my own airports but I am in the learning mode. Is there basic help here for new airport designers?

I don't know of any tutorials. A long time ago I just jumped into the editor and looked at what others had done and learned from there. Maybe start with one you like and modify it for yourself first.

Thank you for the reply. I am on my fifth airport now. I have used trial and error (much error) to get them to work. I have two main problems that remain.

The first is what I call a ghost around the airports, which is square in area over the airport, transparent, and slowly disappears as an aircraft approaches the airport. It is annoying. I can't seem to get rid of it.

The second problem is that if I put an airport a great distance from the first airport and try to fly to the other airport, I get excessive cabin flutter/shack as I get further away from the airport I took off from. Is there any easy way to fix this other then putting multiple airports close together?

Sorry for the questions, but I have exhausted my ideas on fixing these.

The flutter/shake is a known problem as you get so far away from your spawn point. I suggest putting multiple spawn points in your design for the different areas.

The "ghost" around the airports I'm guessing is related to the Near Haze and Far Haze distance settings. Try adjusting those. It could also be there is just no mapping at that height for the graphics engine to render. BTW you can add 3D elements to a panoramic photo field. I have one I've been working on but I'm not sure if I will post it. It becomes hard in those because you have to adjust sizes and placements for 2D distances.

The first is what I call a ghost around the airports, which is square in area over the airport, transparent, and slowly disappears as an aircraft approaches the airport. It is annoying. I can't seem to get rid of it.

Pictures would help us know exactly what the issue is. I have a theory on what it might be but it one object it the massive list that could cause it

The second problem is that if I put an airport a great distance from the first airport and try to fly to the other airport, I get excessive cabin flutter/shack as I get further away from the airport I took off from. Is there any easy way to fix this other then putting multiple airports close together?

that is an issue with the way the camera motion is handled. I have some theroies on how it works but I will not rattle on about it. although editing the the planes onboard camera can affect it

Here's what Ryan Douglas had to say about that in this thread.

https://forums.realflight.com/index.php?threads/aircraft-shaking-issue.31285/post-263322

Aircraft shaking issue

The problem described by the OP--jitter that increases with distance from the airport center--is a result of limitations with floating point precision (under the hood programming and math stuff). The general problem is not limited to RealFlight, though the specific ways in which it manifests as undesirable behavior are.

It is endemic to the system. During "normal" use, though, it will not rear its head.

Last edited:
Thank you for the help. I will try multiple spawns and see if that helps the shaking problem, and try to adjust the haze to get rid of the ghosting effect.

Thanks again, wish I knew 1/1000th of what you guys do!

This is the best screen shot of the fog/haze around my last airport currently under construction. I know, it is hard to see it, but it disappears once you get closer.

1603821872879.jpeg

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply. I am on my fifth airport now. I have used trial and error (much error) to get them to work. I have two main problems that remain.

Sorry for the questions, but I have exhausted my ideas on fixing these.
The square or rectangular ghost you describe is probably because your using a "concrete" runway. This has been in RF for years and years. I have had all the RF programs, from Deluxe to RF-X and still have 6 thru 9.5 on my comp. I quit using Concrete Runways and the ghost went away.
Your near and far haze is adjustable in the editor, clouds, water flood level, water color, sky colors, many more options, just remember, Realflight was designed as a "Radio Control" simulator, not a Flight simulator on the cheap. I have been building and flying models since the middle 70s and I have yet to able to climb into one of my planes, no matter the size, and fly to another air field.

Attachments

• ScreenShot1604415953.jpg
    ScreenShot1604415953.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 12
  • ScreenShot1604415966.jpg
    ScreenShot1604415966.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 12
  • ScreenShot1604415995.jpg
    ScreenShot1604415995.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 12
  • ScreenShot1602689935.jpg
    ScreenShot1602689935.jpg
    349.3 KB · Views: 12
  • ScreenShot1603751661.jpg
    ScreenShot1603751661.jpg
    301.8 KB · Views: 13
For information and example

Attachments

• HAZE.jpg
    HAZE.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 10
  • water adjustments.jpg
    water adjustments.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 12
  • ScreenShot1604415953.jpg
    ScreenShot1604415953.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 7
  • ScreenShot1604415966.jpg
    ScreenShot1604415966.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 6
  • ScreenShot1604415995.jpg
    ScreenShot1604415995.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 8
Thanks for the info and yes I have been using concrete runways. Not sure if I will change them or just live with it as is.

In AP7 I can reach far off runways without much cabin flutter. I have tried to figure out the difference between AP7 and my runways. I note that AP7 uses overhead helpers, and bungee anchors. Is there a short explanation of what these do, or is there a place I can go online for this information. I don't want to be a pita each time I have a question if there is someplace I can find this myself.

And thanks again to all who have taken the time to help me learn (and enjoy) building airports.

Can someone put together an airport with all the custom scenery?
Anyone can put together an airport with all of the available objects, but there would be a heck of a strain on the machine trying to render them all. Even top end gaming machines have their limits, and that's before you consider the timely reminder that @technoid posted about the problem with floating point math.

RF is designed to have the best viewable resolution around the airport. Every foot you fly away from that central area is going to cause a reduction in the graphics quality and sim realism, especially if you use an onboard/follow view. Inside a mile, things are great. After that, RC planes are dots at best, and uncontrolled invisible hurtling dangerous objects at worst. Point to point flights just aren't a part of RC anymore, despite the origins of the hobby as powered freeflight. Could be a cool competition, though, especially with soaring for distance!

I just meant an airport that wasn't really for use just one that was there for extra airport objects, like custom scenery. Not one that you would actually use.

Ok. That’s a spin I hadn’t considered. Now my question becomes what do you gain? How would you make use of such an airport or benefit from the effort? Other than practice or bragging rights...

so all the custom scenery would be in one place, you wouldn't have tons of custom ap's every where clogging up your system for a few objects here, and a few here, one there, etc. That's all

Back