RF 9.5 Error Initializing Sound system: Soundcard does not support minimum features needed

mrgames99

Well, this is disappointing. Just purhcased and installed RF9.5 and can't even launch the thing. Running a Dell Optiplex 3050 Intel i5 7500, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Asus R5 230 Graphics (1GB) and RealTek audio (onboard). ALL other games on my PC run FINE with audio. Updated all drivers from each manufacturer and no difference. There goes our dream of learning how to fly. Thanks Real Flight for killing them -- serious bummer. I'm not going to buy a new $1200 PC just to run this RF9.5. This PC is only 2 years old! OH, and I have already tried disabling my audio device in Device Manager and tried the "restore defaults" from the RF95 launcher.

Get the following error:

Error Initializing Sound system: Soundcard does not support minimum features needed for this soundsystem (16bit stereo output).

Error Creating sound manager. There was an error with your driveror you have no sound device installed.

Where you you find a 6 year old, 2 year old PC???:LOL:

There is a fix for your issue. Use the search function on the forum. Use the Keyword "soundcard"

Something to note: fixes for older versions of Realflight are applicable for newer versions as at the core nothing has changed in Realflight for over 12 years.

As csgill75 noted, do a search. In this thread it, the answer likely be from doing sleuthing in your system using the info posted by rolling circle. https://forums.realflight.com/index.php?threads/rf-8-sound-card-error.54636/#post-343275. Each system's implementation of sound output properties may be a little different, but you want to make sure it is set to 16 bit. It may take some juggling depending on what devices you have installed, and what is default or active when. It helps a lot to do a complete shutdown and restart between settings changes - Windows frequently will not change on the fly.
Sound is one of those things that has never really been "plug-n-play" for any system, since even before the days of Soundblaster cards and having to set proper interrupts, but at least that part has been eliminated. Adding anything - gaming headphones, microphones, etc. can knock it out of whack and require rejiggering of the settings for each device to get them to work together or in all instances.

Last edited:
I gave up on my RealTek integrated audio after reading some other articles where others had with RF had problems with RealTek. So... I bought a Sound Blaster Audigy and will be installing shortly... see how this goes...

I've used RealTek integrated on a number of PC's in recent years, and aside from the tuning when having muliple devices, it has not been a problem. As long as the settings are correct.

I have an ASUS Motherboard with built-in RealTek sound and I've never had a problem in RealFlight.

Thanks for the replied. Couldn't get it to work -- no idea why -- I've tried several different drivers too.

BUT... Sound Blaster Audity FX (PCIe Card) for $35 worked out of the box, no adjustment required. It's a better sound card anyway! Glad to have our sim working now!

Thanks for the replied. Couldn't get it to work -- no idea why -- I've tried several different drivers too.

BUT... Sound Blaster Audity FX (PCIe Card) for $35 worked out of the box, no adjustment required. It's a better sound card anyway! Glad to have our sim working now!
Then that was definitely worth 35 bucks I'm happy you got it working. And yes I'm sure the sound will be improved too. Enjoy your new Sim.

Back