RF7.5 Upgrade Discontinued

I see that on the Tower website that Real Flight 7.5 upgrade (software only) has been discontinued. I hate to see that. I have been buying drone and 7.5 packages together for the wounded warriors.

Are they planning to discontinue RF 7.5 entirely? KE can we get an official response to this?

sure would be nice if they kept 7.5 around for a while , and what about the Interlink Elite , will it be available for a few yrs yet ?

I hope it won't no longer be produced in all versions including the Interlink Elite. I'm glad I got a few more people to buy it recently if so.
I use my own radio at times but really like having the Interlink Elite too. Mine is years old and still going. All I had to do is resolder the USB cable once.

I think they're cutting their own throats. HW requirements for RF-X are WAY too high. Not very many people will be willing to spend $500 or so (including a new video card) just for an RC simulator. They'll go elsewhere. :eek: I guess I upgraded from 5.5 to 7.5 just in time.

Last edited:
I think they're cutting their own throats. HW requirements for RF-X are WAY too high. Not very many people will be willing to spend $500 or so (including a new video card) just for an RC simulator. They'll go elsewhere. :eek: I guess I upgraded from 5.5 to 7.5 just in time.

Go read the old G3 threads about how the requirements for G3 were way too high and that people need to upgrade their computers to run realflight. We all know how that turned out. I just chuckle because it's the same thing from the same kind of people. We get it, you aren't going to use RF-X because you don't want to or refuse to upgrade. Go look at some of the new AAA game titles coming out or have been released and RF-X 's requirements are right in line so they aren't bad. I mean there wouldn't be such a huge market for this kind of computer hardware if people were just checking emails and looking at YouTube all day. They use powerful computer hardware for entertainment.

Other people will upgrade and some already have. Eventually the competition will change too and then people like you will be forced to upgrade or use outdated software . I guess there are people who still use windows XP too. Stay with 7.5 because it's a great sim but it's also not getting any better or going to change. RF-X does have promise and will get better but people that won't upgrade won't know because they can't run it. It's gotten better with the work around I don't see any issues now. Make the work around permanent and it should be satisfactory for most people who meet the requirements. The other things will come in time, 7.5 didn't have many of the features we have now when it was G3.

Last edited:
+1 csgill75

Computers will surpass in a year or less. NEVER design for old worn out computers.

I've been reading a lot lately about the state of PC's and the progress companies like Intel have made in the past 10 years. It's kinda sad what a company will do with no competition. Since 2009 AMD is a big no show at the enthusiast level. The I7 2600k CPU came out in 2011 and was benchmarked against the new 7700k kabby lake CPU in a article I read. The increase in performance from 2011 to 2017 is roughly 25%. We are only 25% faster at the CPU level in 6 years. I am hoping that AMD gets their crap together and can finally bring on some serious competition.

Well, with that single point of comparison, I don't think that you are taking the the industry into a valid comparison... yes we used to double the CPU every two years, but now each iteration is becoming increasingly more difficult..."low hanging fruit" argument.

Maybe the physics of the materials is standing in our way. I agree competition is good. I have never owned AMD processor machine. Just never went that way. I think that 4K video is going to be driving the industry for a while, and graphics cards are going to catch up and the price is going to drop.

On the table in front of me, I have 3 GoPro Hero4 Black cameras and a Yi camera that sells for less than half the price. Hard to spend that much of a difference on the name brand.

My Yi camera doesn't have a screen, but I think the GoPro does. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I haven't actually seen a GoPro4.

One point about 7.5 for KE/Hobbico: It's FREE money! The media & packaging can't cost that much, and the development costs were repaid long ago. Why kill it?

Yeah, Yi does not have a screen, but it does have a phone app. I don't think gopro will push 4k video to the iPad or to the back monitor.

I do agree with keeping 7.5 in sales. They are competing with themselves, but some people just cannot afford the computer upgrade at the moment. I have had a couple of large expenses myself lately. Pushes all the wants back for a while. Take care of needs first.

The Yi phone app is pretty laggy, unusable for FPV flying. I don't know about the GoPro.

I totally agree with your thoughts on 7.5. It's why I returned X & upgraded to 7.5 instead. I have plenty of CPU/SSD/RAM. If I did other gaming, I'd probably go for it, but I can't swing the video JUST for X. In addition, I think they should still at least minimally support 7.5 even though their major effort has to go into X. It would be nice if they'd at least fix the importer so it wouldn't require 3DS 2012, which isn't available any more. I'd like to try my hand at designing, but I'm pretty much locked out.

The phone app is not laggy... the wifi technology is the problem. It was really never meant for the purpose. 2sec is a long time when flying. I am using the usb port and transmitting the video from both the GoPro and the Yi cameras. That is very acceptable.

GoPro is not the only game in town. DJI is not the only drone in town. It is a very competitive market. We will see if GoPro can get a good drone to market. Last one was a fail.

If I were you, I would go ahead and start learning 3D Studio 2016 or what ever version you can get. Just learning about the design process can take a while. Maybe by then you will be ready to upgrade.

If I were you, I would go ahead and start learning 3D Studio 2016 or what ever version you can get. Just learning about the design process can take a while. Maybe by then you will be ready to upgrade.

People who want to create content for RealFlight should definitely do this. You will be waiting forever if you think that a updated importer will be available for 7.5. It's never going to happen because it would have already happened. Autodesk made changes to its software after the 2012 version which makes it impossible for Knife Edge to distribute a export tool. In fact they created the content for 7.5 and drone edition in newer versions of of Max and then had to go to a owned copy of the 2012 version to get it into their own software. This is now why RF-X has the exporter built in to the editor

Go do the box trainer, have one of the guys here export it to realflight for you.

Maybe KE should first fix the FBX import for RF-X, as of right now it neither imports smoothing groups nor textures.

For those of us with a 7.0 DVD I hope they keep the online upgrade. I never know when I may get a new computer or the one I have it on will crash like before.
There is a way to upgrade offline but it's really not something one should have to do.

I'm not one to directly call someone out, but if KE discontinued RF7.5, especially with RFX as undeveloped as it is, It'd be the stupidest thing I've ever seen, next to the Xbox one's announcement at E3.

Back