Seawind

Flies Great!

I even knocked both wings off accidently and it flies still with tail wing only!
Not as agile though, and hard to keep from diving!

edit... how do I vote?

DHK79,

This is the fastest model ever built for G3.5 :)
I liked the treads coming along with building too and I am glad you got rid of pink :D , too girlish ...

Despite many guys out there hating gmax, I like it, it is very powerful and yes, it takes time to learn but since you get the basics, you can do things very nice and the limitation is only how detailed you want your model to be.

Gmax was my first attempt in 3D poly modeling ( I am using SolidWorks at work) and it was pain in the rear in the beginning but since I have never tried other programs which might be easier, I still like gmax and will stick with it.

ARB

Weadley said:
edit... how do I vote?

You need to go back to the Swap pages and reopen the plane. You do not need to download it again, but there is a VOTE link at the bottom of the page.

DHK

arb6591 said:
I liked the treads coming along with building too and I am glad you got rid of pink :D , too girlish ...
I always use the pink as a default background in my initial texture maps. Since it is a color that I'd never use in real life I can always know that if I see it on the plane, there is an area of the texture map that needs tweaking. I usually change it at the very last.

DHK

I always use the pink as a default background in my initial texture maps. Since it is a color that I'd never use in real life I can always know that if I see it on the plane, there is an area of the texture map that needs tweaking. I usually change it at the very last.

I was just joking of course, I understand the reason behind the pink and it is a very useful approach in my opinion, I have to try it also on the next plane..

ARB

Great job DHK, I was hoping someone would get to the Seawind.I have the whole kit with re-tracts and a O.S. FS-70 II Surpass sitting in my storage. Those re-tracts put a heavy hole in my pocket at $299.00. The only thing that bums me out is that the Seawind cannot take off from land and then land on water or vice
versa. (Real life)

I'm going to pull it out of storage this weekend and finally get started. I have flown my buddy's and yours is a bit floaty but pretty close. I'm going to see him Sunday for some fly time and I'll see if we can make a close AV for it.

Anyway, thanks so much.

TN..

tnorton12000 said:
The only thing that bums me out is that the Seawind cannot take off from land and then land on water or vice
versa. (Real life)
Thanks for the comments. Tell me about it, I bought a set of retracts too. With the retract support equipment the total cost for the gear was more than for the ARF itself.

But not so fast, you can make the Seawind truly amphibious. There was a posting on RC Universe (sorry, you'll have to search for it as I didn't save the page) that told how to do it. The guy was talking about landing on water and taxiing toward land, deploying the gear, and rolling up out of the water onto the shore. Sounded like a pretty cool maneuver.

Basically you have to take the retract cover and reinforce it with fiberglass, then cut it in half to make gear doors. Use RTV to seal the holes where the airlines to the retracts come through the hull. Then on the steering cables you use RC boat hardware to make a water tight cable-way. Didn't sound too hard.

I'm thinking about doing it to mine, but then I can't think of a single place around where I live where I could take off from one surface and land on another. And the one place I know of where I could fly off of water has a really rocky shore.

Since G3 doesn't have any water you can't practice real water landings & take-offs, but I found something pretty close.

Use the "Alpine Meadow" as a field. With its big grass field and no airstrip, water take-offs work pretty realistically. The big limitation is that you don't have a water rudder, so you need to use ailerons, rudder, and elevator to get the plane first moving and then stable on its step before you can take off. Firewall the throttle and you spin in place.

This plane flies disturbingly well with only one wing :D

Attachments

• ScreenShot1175456051.jpg
    ScreenShot1175456051.jpg
    277 KB · Views: 12
  • ScreenShot1175456070.jpg
    ScreenShot1175456070.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 4
  • ScreenShot1175456075.jpg
    ScreenShot1175456075.jpg
    295.5 KB · Views: 13
  • ScreenShot1175456099.jpg
    ScreenShot1175456099.jpg
    310.7 KB · Views: 15
0xdeadbeef said:
This plane flies disturbingly well with only one wing :D
Remember that the physics model and the 3D model (the one you see) have no relationship to each other. You can model a box and have it fly like a fighter. So if you have crash detection turned off, a slight crash into something will remove a part in the 3D model, but the physics model that controls the flight is uneffected.

I'm well aware of the relationship between flight model and 3D model.
If the connections between the 3D elements and the according physical elements in the flight model were correct, this would not happen. So obviously they aren't.
I don't know though what you could mean with "crash detection turned off".

This is a problem I'm knowing about too. For me, it's not really clear when the brake away of graphical elements is reflected on the physical behaviour of the aircraft. Sometimes it works, sometimes not :confused: :confused: :confused:

0xdeadbeef said:
If the connections between the 3D elements and the according physical elements in the flight model were correct, this would not happen. So obviously they aren't.
Actually they are, so take another guess on that one. :rolleyes:
Although, Maxkop might have a point, where it's a glitch in the program and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

0xdeadbeef said:
I don't know though what you could mean with "crash detection turned off".
It's under settings/physics/reset delay - setting this to zero turns it off.

Last edited:
The issue is with multiple wing segments. Each segment is associated to Component Frame ~CS_LMW and ~CS_RMW. In the case of the Seawind, the "Tip Floats" are associated, so when they break off, so does the entire wing.

I have the same issue with my B2.

Solution for this is to, instead of modeling an entire wing, model the sections that will be associated to the wing segments in Realflight, then as each piece breaks off it is properly reflected in the 3d model.

phrank said:
Solution for this is to, instead of modeling an entire wing, model the sections that will be associated to the wing segments in Realflight, then as each piece breaks off it is properly reflected in the 3d model.

Yes, that's right. I've just tried it out with the WinDex. So this is definitley another bug, but could be easily fixed by KnifeEdge. They only thing they have to do is to programm that when one segment of the wing is overstressed and breaks apart, this also reflects one other physical aircraft segments linking to the same component frame in the graphical model. KE are you reading??? :)

Back