Seawind

phrank said:
Solution for this is to, instead of modeling an entire wing, model the sections that will be associated to the wing segments in Realflight, then as each piece breaks off it is properly reflected in the 3d model.
Good catch :)
That could be done, but also requires edits to the texture map. Is it worth it to have me modify this model? What's the verdict of the group?

BTW - I'm also investigating the use of an invisible tail wheel (that retracts in reverse of the regular gear) to fake the operation of a water rudder.

DHK

Actually, the fake water rudder works surprisingly well. :D

I'll check back later to see what the verdict is on the wing mods, but here's an AV with the "water rudder". Give it a try.

I'm not going to post this AV on the swap pages. If I repost the Seawind, I'll do it as an EA.

Last edited:
Have you seen my plane? I tried Wings 3D and it was easier then Gmax, but has so few features. There is only like 4-9 different feature, when Blender has about gosh 250+.

0xdeadbeef I'm well aware of the relationship between flight model and 3D model.
If the connections between the 3D elements and the according physical elements in the flight model were correct, this would not happen. So obviously they aren't.

You might be well aware of the relationship between flight model and 3D model but as two other guys just said , sometimes it works and other times not.

Here is the video of stock Yak54 (3D) , highly aerobatic and hard to control sometimes with both wings, flying with one wing for quite a while :D
The hardest part was to break the wing and take off but I did it to show you that sometimes it's not the design but the sim ..... :)

Enjoy the video

ARB

Attachments

• arb_Yak-54 (3D)_22.recording
    643.3 KB · Views: 1
@ Win Hand
Yes sir :)
Not bad, now you need to read the thread, play back and forth until you get it correct and work on the map.

Good job so far.

ARB

I've updated the Seawind on the swap pages to include the water rudder. It makes "water" take-offs a lot more realistic.

The major limitation is due to the surface being grass (using the Alpine Meadow as a "lake") rather than water, so it takes a fair amount of power to get the plane moving. It might be possible to edit the field to make the friction less, but it will never behave quite the same as water.

The water rudder is really a short tail wheel in the physics model, it doesn't steer (the gear is technically up), so all of your directional control on the ground comes from the main rudder. The water rudder in G3 just helps support the tail, until you get the plane up on its step. The effect is not perfect, but it is a pretty good simulation of how a flying hull reacts on the water at take-off.

I also made the wing-tips able to break off separately. The change turned out to be easier than I thought it would be. Whether this was an actual problem is debatable. They are a solid part of the wing in real life, but they are glued on in the RC version.

Last edited:
Using Phrank's suggestion of modeling the Tip Floats as seperate sections alowed them to break off seperately, but I took it one step further this morning. I made them fuselage sections rather than wing sections.

This not only allowed RealFlight to match the shape a lot closer but solved the "floating" problem. It seems that even though the tips were at a -90 dihedral, they were still being added to the total wing area in RealFlight giving the Seawind an enhanced power off glide ratio.

I'll post an AV with the change and you can use whichever you like better.

DHK

Here is my favorite plane, in my favorite screenshot!!! :p

Attachments

• ScreenShot1175960217.jpg
    ScreenShot1175960217.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 25
Sorry about this guys, I said I was going to have my plane up by Tuesday, well I went out of town and don't have the Sim with me, so I should have it by Monday.

I have everything ready except for the .g3x file for the swaps and the color scheme.

Here's one of it taking off from the G3 fakey blue water. I plan on driving up to the cove where we fly our sea planes and get some pictures to make a really good looking water field.

DHK

Attachments

• ScreenShot1175974359.jpg
    ScreenShot1175974359.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 24
Back