Sig Morrisey Bravo

Thank Doug.

Am actually using two new mapping techniques to me on this plane, taking advantage of the relax engine in max.

1. The relax engine works well with nice uniform shapes. So, the wheel pants were mapped & relaxed as one object. Then, with the mapping locked in, the cutout for the wheel was made. The mapping remains good, right up to the corners.

2. I've switched as much as is practical to mapping a fuselage in two halves. The SMB has several corners in its profile that would make trying to map in one shot a bit difficult. So, have mapped the areas that lend themselves well to relaxing on a given axis, and then welding the intersecting verts together. The relax engine takes care of the bulk of the work to make a good map, followed by a little bit of stretch adjustments at the intersection.

Was home today, so work was started on the Tartan 77.
1226 triangles so far.

Will try to model the fins if possible, but they may end up just getting bump mapped.

Attachments

• Tartan 77 render 1.jpg
    Tartan 77 render 1.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 10
  • Tartan 77 render 2.jpg
    Tartan 77 render 2.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 11
Was home today, so work was started on the Tartan 77.
1226 triangles so far.

Will try to model the fins if possible, but they may end up just getting bump mapped.

Are you trying to keep it down for RF 6.5 or is the plane triangle count just going beyond 27k maybe? The OS IL-300 I did was 11,595 triangles so that's a big hit on anything I put it in. I went back and cut everything I could out of it but there's just a lot of parts in it and I was going for detail. Good luck hopefully you'll be able to add the fins, but sometimes you have to scale back too.

Last edited:
Thank Doug. The 3 views are good for an overall guide, but are also rather low resolution. So, am "guesstimating" a bit using some of the higher resolution pictures available on the 'net. For example, the carb section isn't too clear in the 3 views, but pictures like these help.

technoid:

Yes, I'm staying at the 20K limit to support those 6.5 users who do not have 7.x for whatever reason(s). With what has been built for the SMB & pilot, am budgeting ~2k for the Tartan to bring the total within 20k.
As to fins, the best polygon reduction technique has been shared on the forum some time ago: make them long narrow triangles with the outside edge one edge, vs a polygon. Repeat for the fin base. Thus, in cross section, they have a saw tooth waveform look. If however, one has the polygons to spare, then by all means fully model the fins.

Attachments

• lg-969713-0-3933.jpg
    lg-969713-0-3933.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 11
Finally put some time into the Tartan Twin 77 again.

Several areas on the air scoop were not quite correct, so those were redone.

Also added:
Air scoop:
- mounting screws and supports that are part of the carb
- the arm for the air scoop interior mechanics
Carb:
- throttle arm
- raised front plate and its mounting screws

Attachments

• TT77 simple render1.jpg
    TT77 simple render1.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 6
  • TT77 simple render2.jpg
    TT77 simple render2.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 6
That`s sweet looking FE, can`t wait to see the finished engine, I would love to get back at modeling, just can`t do it these days..:(

A little fin work added. Total triangles are a wee bit over the limit, but so far it looks like the fins may be able to stay..

Attachments

• TT77 simple render3.jpg
    TT77 simple render3.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 10
  • TT77 simple render4.jpg
    TT77 simple render4.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 9
man that sure is looking good FE , it will add to the SMB's detail nicely , i'm saving all the pics in a folder of this build

Some better renders.

Attachments

• Tartan 77 render 3.jpg
    Tartan 77 render 3.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 7
  • Tartan 77 render 4.jpg
    Tartan 77 render 4.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 7
  • Tartan 77 render 5.jpg
    Tartan 77 render 5.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Tartan 77 render 6.jpg
    Tartan 77 render 6.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 9
A little more in progress detail: exhaust pipes and throttle push rod.
The structure inside the air scoop may get deleted as triangles are needed. I have been told it is a choke valve, and although it looks like it could be linked to the throttle arm it is apparently not.

Attachments

• Tartan 77 render 7.jpg
    Tartan 77 render 7.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 10
  • Tartan 77 render 8.jpg
    Tartan 77 render 8.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 9
Back