So what's up?

Boof69

So i'm looking around to find some information on the differences in the design process since I've designed last. That being since version 6.5
If anyone is willing to answer a few questions continue the conversation. Thanks

So i'm looking around to find some information on the differences in the design process since I've designed last. That being since version 6.5
If anyone is willing to answer a few questions continue the conversation. Thanks

Designing for RF-9 is about the same as designing for RF-X so read both of the links below by Ryan Douglas (two readme posts) and then ask away and we'll go from there. Good to see you here.

But basically KEX is out and FBX is in so it's a standard 3ds Max workflow now. And there's 135,000 triangles. So you design it in 3ds Max, export an FBX file, and from RealFlight 9 you import the FBX file and you have the plane in RF. So it's an easy transition to me. There's a few gotcha's here and there but a very nice improvement.

[Read 1st] Beta version of RealFlight Vehicle Editor is available

https://forums.realflight.com/showthread.php?t=32323

[Read 2nd] Custom Vehicle Creation Guidelines

https://forums.realflight.com/showthread.php?t=32324

So after reading I guess what I would need to know moving forward would be - are ~Nup values still used in object properties as in Pre RF-X versions since .fbx is now used?

Has there been any update to the glow object support in this new version?

Is V9 vehicle editing the the same as RF-X?

And- Is the upgrade to RF-9 worth it in your (or anyone's) opinion?

HEY Boof...!!It`s GREAT to hear from you, are you thinking about doing another model..???, coming back in some capacity..???..It would be great to have you back. Now, I can`t speak to much about your question, I know that modelers got a big boost in pixel count (or whatever they`re called..??...:p:p), I think that happened in RF7 or 8, not really sure, we`ve got some real good modelers here primarily Legoman,Tecnnoid, and Donamy (In no specific order) Donamy created a model of my sons real world/life Mooney that came out fantastic. Let`s see :rolleyes::rolleyes: I think there`s a slightly different process importing models from Max into RF, (nothing major), RF9 supports linear actuators now. Didn`t you figure out a way to achieve that in 6..??..If I recall, it works on the Corsair you did, Hey, I gotta eat, hopefully the other modelers will chime in and clarify some things I mentioned and hopefully add to it. To the best of my knowledge, Max and Wings are still the preferred programs to use for modeling, great to hear from you, I gotta chow down...:p:p:D EDIT: Ahh, I see Tech. has already chimed in.

Last edited:
So after reading I guess what I would need to know moving forward would be - are ~Nup values still used in object properties as in Pre RF-X versions since .fbx is now used?

Has there been any update to the glow object support in this new version?

Is V9 vehicle editing the the same as RF-X?

And- Is the upgrade to RF-9 worth it in your (or anyone's) opinion?

Nups are the same

there is an option in the editor to do stuff during the day and glow and bulb are more or less the same as before.

RF 9 editor is the same as rf7.5 and later with some new stuff. so it is the same as RF-X but it is integrated into the program

if you have RF8 then maybe depends on how much you value the new features. pre-RF8 yes because more triangles 135,000 (X,8-9) > 27,000 (7)>20,000 (6.5 and before) and RF9 is less buggy and easier to make custom stuff than RF-X

HEY Boof...!!It`s GREAT to hear from you, are you thinking about doing another model..???, coming back in some capacity..???..It would be great to have you back. Now, I can`t speak to much about your question, I know that modelers got a big boost in pixel count (or whatever they`re called..??...:p:p), I think that happened in RF7 or 8, not really sure, we`ve got some real good modelers here primarily Legoman,Tecnnoid, and Donamy (In no specific order) Donamy created a model of my sons real world/life Mooney that came out fantastic. Let`s see :rolleyes::rolleyes: I think there`s a slightly different process importing models from Max into RF, (nothing major), RF9 supports linear actuators now. Didn`t you figure out a way to achieve that in 6..??..If I recall, it works on the Corsair you did, Hey, I gotta eat, hopefully the other modelers will chime in and clarify some things I mentioned and hopefully add to it. To the best of my knowledge, Max and Wings are still the preferred programs to use for modeling, great to hear from you, I gotta chow down...:p:p:D EDIT: Ahh, I see Tech. has already chimed in.

Hey Twist glad a few familiars are still here. The last of our kids left the nest and I'm finding a little more time on my hands. I guess I'm looking for a hobby for the cold months. Trying to gather info to help me decide to make the RF-9 purchase. I don't want to go down this road if some of the more advanced design options are hamstrung. I didn't come up with it but we used a scissor pivot to get linear movement back in the day. Also not even close to knowing what model to tackle or if there's anything left to do out there.

.... Also not even close to knowing what model to tackle or if there's anything left to do out there.

you welcome to anything off my build list as is anyone else. To be honest I will never clean it up because it is always getting longer. and a lot of the early planes g3.5 look poor compared to more recent models. I just redid cowboy's B-52 I think you know something about remaking old planes. Unless there is an active build thread it is fair game if you think you can do it better or just want to build one, even if it is done before.

Nups are the same

there is an option in the editor to do stuff during the day and glow and bulb are more or less the same as before.

RF 9 editor is the same as rf7.5 and later with some new stuff. so it is the same as RF-X but it is integrated into the program

if you have RF8 then maybe depends on how much you value the new features. pre-RF8 yes because more triangles 135,000 (X,8-9) > 27,000 (7)>20,000 (6.5 and before) and RF9 is less buggy and easier to make custom stuff than RF-X

Hey legoman, Thanks for the reply. For the bulb option is the blink sequence still a ~Nup configuration thing or is that handled in the editor?
135,000 is a massive number! The detail that can be had with that is going to be great.
I have 7 and RF-X so I'm hearing I should make the jump

Hey legoman, Thanks for the reply. For the bulb option is the blink sequence still a ~Nup configuration thing or is that handled in the editor?
135,000 is a massive number! The detail that can be had with that is going to be great.
I have 7 and RF-X so I'm hearing I should make the jump

Yes ~Nup blink is still the same and there is an option in the editor for it to blink in the day time. And yes 135000 is a massive number. I managed to get 140 different loadout options (including empty stations) with engine show on the skyraider and 108 sequetial bomb release on the B-52. you can also throw like 10k+ triangle at something and not worry about the limit. I spent 43,200 triangles on dropables for the B-52 and almost 20k on the skyraider cockpit. I still sometimes end up spending them like the limit is 20,000 or 27,000 although out of habit.

Yes ~Nup blink is still the same and there is an option in the editor for it to blink in the day time. And yes 135000 is a massive number. I managed to get 140 different loadout options (including empty stations) with engine show on the skyraider and 108 sequetial bomb release on the B-52. you can also throw like 10k+ triangle at something and not worry about the limit. I spent 43,200 triangles on dropables for the B-52 and almost 20k on the skyraider cockpit. I still sometimes end up spending them like the limit is 20,000 or 27,000 although out of habit.

I think i would like to use those polies to make a high res cockpit. The corsair could have used it. The A-10 Cockpit was skipped entirely. Sounds like you really went ham, That's awesome. Hey Ryan if your listening send me a copy of RF-9 and help a brother out. :)

Hey Twist glad a few familiars are still here. The last of our kids left the nest and I'm finding a little more time on my hands. I guess I'm looking for a hobby for the cold months. Trying to gather info to help me decide to make the RF-9 purchase. I don't want to go down this road if some of the more advanced design options are hamstrung. I didn't come up with it but we used a scissor pivot to get linear movement back in the day. Also not even close to knowing what model to tackle or if there's anything left to do out there.
Yep, there`s still a couple or more of us left here, I `m sure more will chime in once they see your thread, I`m still stuck in the mud with RF6, But from all I heard, RF9 is worth the price vs RFX, apparently you need a pretty darn good computer for X as well as your choice of pretty pricey graphic card/s for it, hopefully someone with it will clarify that some more. IF you decide to jump in, I don`think you`d have any problems adjusting to RF9, not with your talent..;);) Knock off a little rust and you`ll be good to go. You shouldn`t have a problem finding a model to create, there`s still plenty of planes that have never been done. You can find one YOU like or pick a few that you`d consider doing, and put it to vote, Legoman, has used that method quite a bit...RE: the linear movement, well all that stuff was and still is way over my head,but in the end, that was quite an achievement for the day...;):D, Bottom line, it would be really cool to see you back..;);):D:D

Yep, there`s still a couple or more of us left here, I `m sure more will chime in once they see your thread, I`m still stuck in the mud with RF6, But from all I heard, RF9 is worth the price vs RFX, apparently you need a pretty darn good computer for X as well as your choice of pretty pricey graphic card/s for it, hopefully someone with it will clarify that some more. IF you decide to jump in, I don`think you`d have any problems adjusting to RF9, not with your talent..;);) Knock off a little rust and you`ll be good to go. You shouldn`t have a problem finding a model to create, there`s still plenty of planes that have never been done. You can find one YOU like or pick a few that you`d consider doing, and put it to vote, Legoman, has used that method quite a bit...RE: the linear movement, well all that stuff was and still is way over my head,but in the end, that was quite an achievement for the day...;):D, Bottom line, it would be really cool to see you back..;);):D:D

I'm all set on the computer. I'm running a rtx 2080. Thanks for the kind words and I am mulling this over. Could be a lot of fun with the high poly limit.

I'm all set on the computer. I'm running a rtx 2080. Thanks for the kind words and I am mulling this over. Could be a lot of fun with the high poly limit.
Yeah, I forgot that you were set up well in the the comp. dept., I`m sure you`ve kept up with it all, Heck Boof, you`d, be like a rabid kid cut loose in a candy store, with all those poly`s to play with ;);) Have you heard from Abaser or the Maj. at all..???

Last edited:

It sounds like you're all set on the computer end I suppose you have a good cpu and plenty of memory too. I have a 6700k running at 4.4 GHz with 32 GB of memory running at 2400 MHz and a GTX 1080 over clocked a bit and RF-X runs fine for me at 1920x1200 on my DELL 16x10 monitor. But they quit supporting RFX so it's just something to have if you want it RF-9 is the way to go. But if you have RF-8 you're fine because all of this works on it too. Bottom line RF-9 is the way to go but get RF-X if you want to see some cool graphics it kills RF-9 but is missing lots of stuff so it's something to have if you want to play with it but it's not what you'd develop for.

At first baked on colors wasn't supported so they ask you to use the texture map for all the parts so I got used to doing that and I still do it. But in the last update I think it was they fixed that so baked on colors are working again. But I got used to mapping everything so that's what I still do.

That is a monster setup for a computer.

I have figured out how to make the polylimit not much more than a minor inconvience if you have some intesive (static) objects that need to be repeated a couple times. Like multiple radial engines in the breeze viewable from all sides like a Do-X (735k) or Ford Trimotor (285k). those estimate are based on 50k triangles per engine but we may run into computer horse power limits before we get to those numbers.

It basicly boils down to computer power

I think i would like to use those polies to make a high res cockpit. The corsair could have used it. The A-10 Cockpit was skipped entirely. Sounds like you really went ham, That's awesome. Hey Ryan if your listening send me a copy of RF-9 and help a brother out. :)

Build me a new F-16 and I'll send a copy your way. :)

Welcome back

Boof69 returning...Awesome.
I have lots of your models and really enjoy flying them in RF9 and RF-X.
Your video's of Boxie Trainer and Ride Along model episodes have been tremendously helpful and inspiring, many thanks.
My favourite model of yours is the Mikado Logo 800 Xxtreme helicopter, this is absolutely the best flying heli in RF-X.
Welcome back.

Back