The Citabria Aerobatic Pro Thread

I thought it was one I was doing, but I was wrong ...

that is the TOMCATs Flying field down in Morgan Hill "Santa Clara County Model Aircraft Skypark" (I used to belong to that club a long time ago) ...
comes with RF7.5 or, maybe it was RF8

Okay cool I found it. It's a stock field okay.

I'm feel'n Blue ....

The fabled "Blue" #2 of the "pro" that supposedly was destroyed in a crash ...

Attachments

• ScreenShot1520302239.jpg
    ScreenShot1520302239.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 18
  • ScreenShot1520302336.jpg
    ScreenShot1520302336.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 13
  • ScreenShot1520302516.jpg
    ScreenShot1520302516.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 14
  • ScreenShot1520302409.jpg
    ScreenShot1520302409.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 14
  • ScreenShot1520302147.jpg
    ScreenShot1520302147.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 11
HERE I AM

Thanks for the work on this DDawg.

I reciprocate this ... All I did was spread a few pixels around and changed a setting here and there ...

You did the hard stuff ... so, Thank You ... Andy ... I just tried to make it look good ... :cool:

Which really didn't take any effort at all ... :)

Attachments

• 20180305_060907.jpg
    20180305_060907.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
A very nice plane but I expected much stronger aerobatic performance, but thanks for the plane it's very well done and looks great.

A very nice plane but I expected much stronger aerobatic performance, but thanks for the plane it's very well done and looks great.

Yeah, it was designed in 1968 for Sportsman class aerobatics. It was only designed stressed to positive 6 G's and negative 5 G's ... It being a Parasol wing design, it flies pretty scale to what my BALSA USA pro flies like, I set it up to match its performance characteristics of my personal plane ...

It is set up for dual rates and will do most everything you throw at it in high rates ... and increasing the power a bit more and changing the propeller will bring out a little more aggression.

There was only two built (and one crashed), the other undergoing restoration ... so the rumor has it (last flown in 1987 or 89)- and the Decathlon, Super Decathlon, and Citabria Extreme were born from the "Pro" design. Basically, the Decathlon is the Pro, with an enclosed cabin and a few more horses ... but pretty much the same 4-cylinder Lycoming IO-360 engine

For what the plane is, it fits the bill quite well. It was more or less, an "Aerobatic" trainer. Keep in mind the plane's open cockpit design limited the planes overall operational range ... 50-120 MPH normal, and 162 mph Max. it was just a high performance "Citabria" of the 60s ... the original Champion built Citabria had a flat bottom wing, the pro was designed with a semi-symmetrical NACA 1412 airfoil.

There is a lot you can do to the "Physics", to make it more aerobatic, but, then it wouldn't no longer be the plane that it is ...

Some of you might find this info of some interest ...
Introduction to Scale Aerobatics

Good explaination of Aresti symbols in the Basic form

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, it was just the Aerobatic Pro in the name that raised my expectations. It is a very nice plane, nicely modeled and painted my hats go off to both of you. And like you say, changing it's flight physics just makes it something else and I wouldn't want to do that. So, it is what it is and I like it.

Thanks for the info, it was just the Aerobatic Pro in the name that raised my expectations. It is a very nice plane, nicely modeled and painted my hats go off to both of you. And like you say, changing it's flight physics just makes it something else and I wouldn't want to do that. So, it is what it is and I like it.

no problem what so ever ... what you might want to try doing the 10 maneuver Basic aresti pattern, as explained in the File I linked above ...

seamlessly ... with smoke on ... then ... you will feel the appreciation for the "slow flying" characteristics of the Pro ...

;)

I appreciate the feedback from all. A lot of time and effort goes into these models so it's nice to know others enjoy them.

DDawg, don't sell yourself short. The base would be worthless without your efforts as well.

This is the Template I used to create the N5143T, Red & Blue Citabria Aerobatic Pro Color Schemes (CS).

Inside the RAR package, you will find both the Paint Shop Pro (pspimage file) and Photoshop (psd file) layer'd compatible files.

To access them, once you download the RFX file ...

You need to remove the ".RFX" extension from the end of the file name.

Then you can simply decompress the file, using WinZip or, any compatible file decompression programs.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• CitabriaAerobaticProTemplates.rar.RFX
    10.3 MB · Views: 25
While I was searching Videos ...

I came across this ... pretty good ... worth the watch ...

Citabria 1978

Note the way it flies while performing snap rolls, loops, aileron rolls and spins ...

I feel I have the "Pro" flying about the same ...

Attachments

• citabria 1978.jpg
    citabria 1978.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Attachments

• IAC Team USA1.jpg
    IAC Team USA1.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IAC Team USA2.jpg
    IAC Team USA2.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 12