This has to be a joke. What about X?

bneiderman

I have been a long time user of Real Flight buying every new edition when it comes out. Real Flight X was advertised as the newest and greatest simulator and I think most of us thought this was the next version of Real Flight beyond 7.5. Obviously we have all had our complaints about it. It runs like garbage on anything but the most powerful machine. There have been literally no updates YET some fantastic magical update has been promised for the longest time. Now we find out you are releasing 8 which claims to be the version we all wanted to begin with? How about fixing X? The fact you have been working on 8 must be the reason we have not seen updates for X! Where does X now fall into mix? 8 gets the VR and X gets nothing. Why not support X appropriately and add back the things to make IT the successor to 7.5 then to simply try to grab more money from suckers who bought X. This is truly upsetting and I can't be the only one who feels this way. What is the point of selling 8 and X at the same time? I think we need an explanation.

I hope this helps a tiny bit.
Ryan stated: And because I know people are going to ask the natural follow-up question, I will say it here: we also have an RF-X update coming sometime after RF8's release.

Natives are restless... maybe they do need to show a few cards.

A few cards I think is due. This is a very strange move to me. First the RF-X update should have come BEFORE the release of 8. I have always wanted VR for a simulator. I have all the VR systems in my house. If I buy 8 I still want to know what the point of keeping X is. Now that 8 has come out I am sure the resale value of X really went into the toilet and it was probably not great before.

Maybe RF-8 development finished first??? You know that not a lot of people are willing to drop $800 on a graphics card. I think two levels of product may be necessary until the computers people own catch up to RF-X.

I have a grand total $100 invested in RF-X. I caught it on sale. You might see why I am not really bummed. I have spent and lost one hell of a lot more on Microslut products. Nature of software.

They will not release the X update until after RF 8 releases hoping to grab disgruntled RF X users money before fixing X, will not work on me. RF X last updated 3/25/2017, 6 months lost waiting so they could work on RF 8. Fix X before RF 8 releases is the right thing to do, but will not happen for the very reason I stated above.

I bought the last 4 versions and X is unusable and my computer
is better than average. For 6 months I have been waiting for Realflight
to update X. Now they throw 8 in my face! I'm out!

Another restless native's thoughts

Been doing Real Flight since Gen 2.
I own Aero Fly 7, Reflex, Phoniex, etc.
RF Always was my go to "flight simulator". Read as: "not a game but a training platform".

I dropped $3k building a new computer in anticipation of RF X.
Apparently like many others, I bought into the hype. Was expecting a really cool powerful high resolution version of RF 7.5 with much better graphics, more HD fields and aricraft. BETTER PHYSICS!

Great..... now I get to buy RF 8 and hope for what? the best...........compromise?

Will my RF 7.5 or RF X controller work, or will I have to buy a new controller also?

Sorry for the rant guys but this "native" is restless..............and shy some good doe I could have spent more prudently else where.

posted by KE Ryan on RCG;
RealFlight 8 is offered in two editions: with the InterLink-X, and as software only. This may leave people wondering which controllers are supported.

The official list is as follows:
InterLink-X
InterLink Elite
RealFlight Wired Interface
RealFlight SLT Wireless Interface
USB joysticks/game controllers
Even though it is not packaged with the wired or wireless interface, they are still available separately and are fully supported.

The InterLink Plus (the controller that shipped with RealFlight G3) is not officially supported. The situation is exactly the same as in 7.5 and RF-X: we do not factor it into our design/development decisions or testing at all, and while we do not intentionally break it, we make no guarantees whatsoever about its performance now or in the future. I will say that as far as I know, it will work at the same level in RF8 as it did in 7.5
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=38406090&postcount=34

also posted here on KE.
https://forums.realflight.com/showthread.php?t=32713

Last edited:
Discount for RF-X Owners???

Maybe registered owners of RF-X should get a big discount on upgrading 7.5 to 8? RF-X has really been a disappointment. And to see 8 come out now seems odd and and a bit off-putting. Version 7.5 to me is still way better then RF-X.

Last edited:
Several good Ideas

I have been a long time user of Real Flight buying every new edition when it comes out. Real Flight X was advertised as the newest and greatest simulator and I think most of us thought this was the next version of Real Flight beyond 7.5. Obviously we have all had our complaints about it. It runs like garbage on anything but the most powerful machine. There have been literally no updates YET some fantastic magical update has been promised for the longest time. Now we find out you are releasing 8 which claims to be the version we all wanted to begin with? How about fixing X? The fact you have been working on 8 must be the reason we have not seen updates for X! Where does X now fall into mix? 8 gets the VR and X gets nothing. Why not support X appropriately and add back the things to make IT the successor to 7.5 then to simply try to grab more money from suckers who bought X. This is truly upsetting and I can't be the only one who feels this way. What is the point of selling 8 and X at the same time? I think we need an explanation.

Mr. bneiderman makes several good points Knife Edge.

Knife Edge is already marketing various versions of RF.

Let RF X be for the clients who already own or are willing to up grade to a high performance computer/GPU. Give it the features we have expected. Heck, don't pull punches, charge us more as necessary.

Let RF 8 be the upgrade to RF 7.5. A middle ground where hardware resources are not so demanding, but there is still head room for various improvements.

Im glad they came to their senses and released RF8 based on the 7x engine, however I also purchased X and feel slighted. KnifeEdge basically gives canned answers and will tell you that you can uninstall X if you do not like it.

Unhappy Long Term RF user :(

Back