VR 45 fps cap?

agrsk8r

I purchased RF8 for one reason... VR. Aside from that, There was zero reason for me to upgrade from 6.5. Being that this is a new release, I'm fully expecting there to be bugs to work out. One bug (I hope) in particular, there seems to be a 45 fps cap when using VR. It doesn't matter which VR graphic setting I use, it never goes above 45 fps. I'm hoping this was just a programming oversight. I don't have the most powerful PC out there but I'm not lacking in power whatsoever. I can run the game in 1080p max settings at a solid 120 fps and I never have problems maintaining 90 fps in more graphically intense VR games. Is this getting looked into?

ASUS M5A97 mobo
AMD FX-8350 CPU
16GB DDR3 1866 RAM
ASUS ROG GTX 1070 STRIX video card
SanDisk Ultra II SSD 480GB (RF installed on this drive)
Oculus Rift CV1

Other people are getting double your frames on less hardware, however I do not know what their resolution or settings are. Lower the resolution if possible and lower the detail settings to see if it improves.

Other people are getting double your frames on less hardware, however I do not know what their resolution or settings are. Lower the resolution if possible and lower the detail settings to see if it improves.

When I play in 1080p, my frame rate is capped at 120 but I'm not concerned about that. There's no reason to need more that 120 since that's my monitor's refresh rate.

VR is a very different story. It's supposed to run at 90 fps. Currently, there are only 4 video settings for VR: Low, Medium, High and Very High. I've tried all 4 and they all cap at 45 fps without stutter.

I purchased RF8 for one reason... VR. Aside from that, There was zero reason for me to upgrade from 6.5. Being that this is a new release, I'm fully expecting there to be bugs to work out. One bug (I hope) in particular, there seems to be a 45 fps cap when using VR. It doesn't matter which VR graphic setting I use, it never goes above 45 fps. I'm hoping this was just a programming oversight. I don't have the most powerful PC out there but I'm not lacking in power whatsoever. I can run the game in 1080p max settings at a solid 120 fps and I never have problems maintaining 90 fps in more graphically intense VR games. Is this getting looked into?

ASUS M5A97 mobo
AMD FX-8350 CPU
16GB DDR3 1866 RAM
ASUS ROG GTX 1070 STRIX video card
SanDisk Ultra II SSD 480GB (RF installed on this drive)
Oculus Rift CV1

Ok, you have a solid 120 in normal mode, when switching to vr, it cuts your frame rate in half because it needs a separate frame for each eye (for the offset that creates 3d in vr). So right now you have 60fps in vr. The oculus driver sees that you don't have 90 fps, it turns on ASW and drops the framerate to 45.

in normal mode, change your settings (or switch to a photofield) and try and get your framerate up to about 190. This should guarantee your framerate in vr should be 90 fps.

When I play in 1080p, my frame rate is capped at 120 but I'm not concerned about that. There's no reason to need more that 120 since that's my monitor's refresh rate.

VR is a very different story. It's supposed to run at 90 fps. Currently, there are only 4 video settings for VR: Low, Medium, High and Very High. I've tried all 4 and they all cap at 45 fps without stutter.

finding out why you are capped at 120 is the key. Figure that one out and your problems should be solved.

Ok, you have a solid 120 in normal mode, when switching to vr, it cuts your frame rate in half because it needs a separate frame for each eye (for the offset that creates 3d in vr). So right now you have 60fps in vr. The oculus driver sees that you don't have 90 fps, it turns on ASW and drops the framerate to 45.

in normal mode, change your settings (or switch to a photofield) and try and get your framerate up to about 190. This should guarantee your framerate in vr should be 90 fps.

I turned the regular video settings to medium and that allowed the cap in VR to hit 90. I didn't realize that the other video settings were also taken into account with the VR settings. Thank you for helping me resolve that issue.

I do find it extremely disappointing that even with this old code, my PC still lacks the power to run this in VR maxed out. I don't see any reason that I would need to turn down any settings to achieve 90 fps in VR.

Again, thank you for your help.

finding out why you are capped at 120 is the key. Figure that one out and your problems should be solved.

I don't see a setting that says unlimited. My only choices are 60, 100, 110 and 120hz. I have v-sinc turned off. I don't see any nVidia settings that would override this.

I don't see any reason that I would need to turn down any settings to achieve 90 fps in VR.
Keep in mind that VR needs to display 2 screens at 90fps, plus any overhead involved in recalculating the slight differences between what each eye sees. I'm just guessing, but I'll bet you'd need to average about 200fps on a single screen to hit 90fps for each eye. Maybe even more, since it probably needs to display on your main screen, even though you're actually viewing VR. So it probably needs to do the calculations for 3 different screens, not just 2. Anyone looking over your shoulder needs to see something, too.

Also, keep in mind that my comments are hypothetical educated guesses. I don't have a VR system to confirm my guesses. They're just food for thought.

Last edited:
Keep in mind that VR needs to display 2 screens at 90fps, plus any overhead involved in recalculating the slight differences between what each eye sees. I'm just guessing, but I'll bet you'd need to average about 200fps on a single screen to hit 90fps for each eye.

I understand what you're saying. I have a GTX 1070, an FX-8350 (8 cores at 4Ghz) and 16GB of RAM. That should be plenty of power to run this. My system doesn't struggle or hiccup on any other VR games that I play and they are all graphically more intense than this simulator. The only thing I can think of is maybe it's time for a new CPU as there are probably a lot of physics calculations involved in RF. And being it's older code, it probably doesn't play nice with multi-core processors. If it runs on a single thread, there's a good chance it's my CPU.

Either way, I'll need to figure out how to uncap my frames from 120 to figure out the max that my CPU/GPU can really push. I have a laptop with an i7 5700HQ and a GTX 970m so maybe I can run some comparison scores to see if it's the CPU bottle necking.

Maybe even more, since it probably needs to display on your main screen, even though you're actually viewing VR. So it probably needs to do the calculations for 3 different screens, not just 2. Anyone looking over your shoulder needs to see something, too.

The image displayed on the monitor while in VR is a mirror of what you're looking at through the VR headset so that shouldn't tax the system much at all if anything. :)

I STRONGLY doubt if the bottleneck is your CPU. The frames are actually generated by your GPU. A 1070 is barely adequate for RF-X, and RF8 + VR is probably approaching the same demand for a SUPER video card that X does on a single screen. I'd bet that a faster video card is more likely to solve your problem than a faster CPU.

Again, hypothetical. I'm running a 760 without VR, and can't afford anything better. So I can't verify my guesses.

The image displayed on the monitor while in VR is a mirror of what you're looking at through the VR headset so that shouldn't tax the system much at all if anything. :)
True - IF each screen is displaying the EXACT same picture. But I assume that each eye sees a slightly different view. And the main screen is designed to be seen by both eyes, and is probably slightly different than the view displayed to either eye via VR. If that's not true, why does VR appear to be 3-dimensional, and the view on the main screen does not? It's GOT to put more load on the GPU.

Last edited:
Try the photofield Rollestone MFC 2. I get very good frame rates with built in graphics... up to 300+ fps with an all-in-one (Intel HD4600 graphics). i5 4200M CPU @ 2.5GHz, 16GB Ram

I avg 300-600 FPS so I should be fine in VR mode. Im heading out to get the rift now and ill let ya know what my frame rate is.

1080TI msi

The old Gaui Hurricane 550 CFS looks awesome in VR and night flying. Lots of lighting including animated on the tail.

Posted this issue on a different thread as well... I have a brand new Alienware 15 R3 - I am also getting a 45 FPS max on Oculus while the laptop screen seems to do between 280 FPS and 380 FPS. I cannot figure out how to get more than 45 on Oculus, and at 45, it’s not worth it.

What settings can I try - already played with basic graphics quality on RF. Are there any VR sett8ngs on RF or Oculus I can try to tweak?

Posted this issue on a different thread as well... I have a brand new Alienware 15 R3 - I am also getting a 45 FPS max on Oculus while the laptop screen seems to do between 280 FPS and 380 FPS. I cannot figure out how to get more than 45 on Oculus, and at 45, it’s not worth it.

What settings can I try - already played with basic graphics quality on RF. Are there any VR sett8ngs on RF or Oculus I can try to tweak?

Dang .. a system like that should do better. I'm getting a locked in 90 on photofields with built in graphics (Intel HD 4600 - dual HDMI out). The 3D fields though I only get 45 so I don't fly those in VR right now. My Oculus goggles are set to defaults.

Last edited:
Dang .. a system like that should do better. I'm getting a locked in 90 on photofields with built in graphics (Intel HD 4600 - dual HDMI out). The 3D fields though I only get 45 so I don't fly those in VR right now. My Oculus goggles are set to defaults.

Playing around with settings - discovered if I actually reduce the graphics quality in RF to medium, it locks in at 90, but I have yellow ghosting which becomes obvious if you fly a red plane.

I also tweaked NVidia setting to prioritize performance and I am getting over 500 FPS.

But the pic thru VR is pretty underwhelming even with 90 FPS.

Back