VR 45 fps cap?

Posted this issue on a different thread as well... I have a brand new Alienware 15 R3 - I am also getting a 45 FPS max on Oculus while the laptop screen seems to do between 280 FPS and 380 FPS. I cannot figure out how to get more than 45 on Oculus, and at 45, it’s not worth it.

What settings can I try - already played with basic graphics quality on RF. Are there any VR sett8ngs on RF or Oculus I can try to tweak?

Ok, What you may want to do is look into downloading and installing the oculus tray tool. It has advanced options that should allow you to turn off ASW and the frame lock stuff. I wish I could be more specific with help, but I have been lucky enough to run everything on default settings as far as oculus goes, so I have no experience with advanced tools.

For those out there having frame rate problems in VR, best bet is to start educating yourself via the web about oculus frame rate issues in general. This is more a VR thing than a real flight thing.

Hope this helps a little,
mickey

FPS on monitor with Oculus OFF is about 245. Turn Oculus ON and it drops to 13-14 fps. What's up with that?

We have a general VR tips & tricks post coming soon, but I wanted to get in here and respond to a few things.

Re: framerate in VR, virtual reality adds a lot of overhead. That's why the system requirements are so much higher. If you're not getting 90 fps (simply turn on the NavGuides gadget inside RealFlight to check), you should adjust the general graphics quality settings until you do. The VR Quality setting should only be used as a last resort for graphics cards at the very low end of the VR requirements range that can't hit 90 even after lowering the standard graphics quality settings.

rcnoober, I believe you're already talking to Jeremy over on RCGroups, but this deserves a response here, too. What you're describing definitely does not match our expectations. We see ghosting at 45 fps, which is a expected at that speed (this is not unique to RealFlight). But we have not seen the yellow effect you describe, and we do not see ghosting at 90 fps, where you said that occurs. Can you please provide a screenshot or two of what you're seeing?

Re: resolution, VR is not about a high resolution presentation. The hardware isn't there yet. Instead, it's about the experience. Even if the aircraft doesn't look quite as good as it does on your monitor, it's far more immersive to look around the world freely, tracking your model just like you would at the field. It lets you do things like glance between your model and the runway when lining up for a landing. If you get away from yourself and lose orientation, no longer can you rely on the movement of the camera as a clue; you really need to fly your way out of it. A simulation should feel as close to the real thing as possible. VR adds some new levels of realism that have nothing to do with adding pixels.

FPS on monitor with Oculus OFF is about 245. Turn Oculus ON and it drops to 13-14 fps. What's up with that?

This doesn't sound right at all. Can you please follow these instructions so we can learn more about your system?
  1. Run the RealFlight 8 Launcher
  2. Click Technical Support. This dialog will take a few seconds to open.
  3. Click the Assemble System Information button. This may take a minute to run.
  4. The dialog title will contain the full path to a text file that was generated in a temp location on your disk. Please locate that and attach it here. (Click the "Manage Attachments" button when composing a post, then browse to the file and click Upload.)

Attachments

• Assemble System Information.jpg
    Assemble System Information.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 21
Wow, a lot of discussion has happened since I last posted! This is great! As I said earlier, I finally installed this on my laptop to compare different processors and frame rates because it's my theory that my processor on my desktop is bottle necking the VR experience.

Desktop specs:
AMD FX-8350 CPU
GTX 1070 GPU
16GB RAM

Laptop specs:
Intel i7 5700HQ CPU
GTX 970m GPU
16GB RAM

As you can see, the desktop has a much better GPU but the laptop has a better CPU. I set both games to high video settings on the slider at 1920x1080 resolution. I chose the Flight School HD airport with the Thunderbolt Sbach 35% plane.

Just as I suspected, the laptop got significantly higher frame rates. The desktop came in at 140 fps and the laptop came in at 180 fps. Even when I drop it to medium settings, I get only 270 fps on the desktop vs 350 on my laptop. It's worth noting that at 270 fps on the desktop, it bounces between 90 and 45 fps in VR. I would say if you want to hit a solid 90 fps in VR, you should shoot for 300+ fps in 1920x1080 on your monitor.

Thank you, Ryan Douglas, for chiming in with your expertise. I appreciate it.

Back