Wanted EFlite MPD Commander for RF 9.5

I don't know how that plane performs, but it sure is attractive:
EFL14875_A1_T9CX4N1N.jpg

I recommend these awesome electric airplanes by @technoid, which perform amazingly:

that last one, a Spitfire with its iconic rounded wings, looks somewhat similar to your requested airplane.

Last edited:
I Just bought this plane a few weeks ago and would love to practice in simulator before getting it in the air. I have RF 9.5 and just found out that you can uploads new planes. If anyone has this let me know.

IMHO, exactly matching the real-life aircraft with a "practice/sim" aircraft is less important than becoming confident with a SIMILAR aircraft. Using SB's examples, becoming competent with any one of those aircraft would probably indicate that you could successfully fly pretty much all of them, and many others. But mastering a docile trainer does not necessarily indicate that it's "safe" to immediately jump to a high performance aircraft or warbird that will be much less forgiving if you make a mistake when things are happening much faster. If you can't find an exact match, practice on an aircraft with similar wingloading, power, and performance characteristics. GOOD LUCK!

I actually bought the RF9.5 to hopefully get the Commander model to work on landings believe it or not. The spitfire comes down no problem on with a short down wind leg (no actual wind) on the sim. The real Commander is hard to get down even when power is dropped. This happens even when the flaps are full down which is crazy. I'm thinking about making the flaps go down more to help it slow down more, the thing just won't stall while going straight. Now in a head wind it works OK and I can get it down much better but I still find it more difficult to bring down without overshooting. I have a much shorter runway to deal with so that might be part of the problem. It's only about 82-85 yards long in the mowed section. So reverse thrust is nice but still need to get it down first.

Admittedly, the place I fly at has a forced short down leg due to power lines and road on the right side. You can't fly jets there, or at least I would never do that. The left side is wide open but that's where the wind comes from 90% of the time.

So I would really like to have this plane as it really flies modeled in RF. I have tried the three suggested planes and also on different simulators and none of them really fly like the real commander in my opinion. That spitfire slows down very easily on the sim, and will stall and snap into the ground if your not careful. The commander just doesn't have those tendencies. Really looking for something that matches the commanders flight characteristics.

I can't believe that RF 9.5 doesn't have the Commander.
I have had an older Commander model (the red one) for at least 3 years but have had it in moth balls a couple years since I made a move from CA to FL.
Just started to get it ready to fly and was going to practice on RF 9.5 and it's not there. Bummer.
For landing, I recall I had to fly it in more so than glide it in so I recommend keeping the power up some when landing.
I haven't been flying for a while and am a bit rusty and I'm needing to work on the correct technique for a tail dragger, getting the tail down at the right speed after the front wheel touchdown so control is transferred to the tail wheel as the effect of the rudder diminishes.
The Commander was my favorite plane before I moved. I upgraded the battery to a 2500mAh 4S and it really goes with a 4S.
I was hoping I'd get in a little sim practice before getting the Commander to the field.
Oh well, hopefully there will be a sim Commander eventually.

Simulators are not perfect. Even if the flight physics match the real plane perfectly, the flat screen of a computer will not give you the spatial awareness you get from flying outdoors.

IMO, simulators are great for warming up your fingers, getting used to flipping more switches when you start flying planes with more than 4 channels, and learning how different design configurations behave (ie: jets, vs propellers, gas vs. electric, turbine vs. EDF, high wing vs. low wing, long vs short wingspan, high vs. low aspect ratio wings, tail heavy vs. nose heavy CG, high wing loading vs. low wing loading, etc.).

So I'd say in RF, pick any low wing bird as similar to the Commander as possible, practice on that, experiment with your simulator environment a bit (wind direction / speed / gusts, CG), and you'll be fine.

That being said, I do also wish every single EFlite plane ever made had an official simulator version. It would absolutely help them sell more planes.
Maybe that would come true with the new RF Evolution and its future DLCs

Last edited:
So I'd say in RF, pick any low wing bird as similar to the Commander as possible, practice on that, experiment with your simulator environment a bit (wind direction / speed / gusts, CG), and you'll be fine.

To anyone that has the newer e-flite commander, is there a particular model, either built into RF 9.5 or from the swap pages, that you think is the closest match to the commander that you've experienced? I'm planning to get the commander in the next month or two (or three).

By the way, when my laptop is in sleep mode the orange LED stays on in my InterLink DX controller. Is it normal for a computer to keep the usb ports powered in sleep? Kind of annoying because I don't like to keep unplugging the controller between uses, and I also don't like the LED to stay on all the time, and I don't like to fully shut the computer down every time.

Last edited:
Would love this model in RF as well. I was hoping it would be in the evolution release, but no such luck.

I was also hoping it would be in the evolution release but alas, no. When are the powers that be going to read all these comments and realise that there is a growing demand for this plane?

I didn't find anything close in the main program but does anybody know if there is anything on the swap pages that would approximate to the Commander?

I was also hoping it would be in the evolution release but alas, no. When are the powers that be going to read all these comments and realise that there is a growing demand for this plane?

I didn't find anything close in the main program but does anybody know if there is anything on the swap pages that would approximate to the Commander?
I'm modeling a version of the commander for me, but it's not an exact copy of the e-flite mpd Commander. It has an 84 inch wingspan and "no" as3x but if you want to try a beta of it here's a link to my build thread where I uploaded a beta version.

https://forums.realflight.com/index.php?threads/techair-commander-ep.57547/post-359128

Almost ready for release from Technoid:

Same problem here. Just bought the plane - wish they had a sim version. Anyone figure out closest plane in 9.5S?

Back