Windows 10 HELP!!!!!

Back in the 90s we wrote a Windows graphics driver so that we could demonstrate a new high speed bus for the PC at Comdex. We got the driver written, got 4 flashy apps that would nicely demonstrate the performance of the new bus, and everything ran at Comedx without a hitch.

Then a few weeks later a marketing guy comes to me and asks if he can give the software to a graphics card vendor as a reference. I say of course (because getting vendors onto this bus was the whole point of the demo) but I tell him that he has to make it perfectly clear to them - in writing - that this was only debugged as far as getting 4 apps to run on it. And he promises to do so and in a few weeks I start getting calls and emails about bugs anyway ;)

4 running apps was/is nowhere near enough to test complicated infrastructure. There are many APIs, optional parameters, different data types, room for confusion in the specifications of complex data types… even something as simple as some of the source data being or not being word-aligned can cause different code to run.

I few years later I worked on a similar project and every night we installed the newest build on 290 different hardware configurations, and then they all ran applications driven by scripts all night long and we came in the next morning to see what happened. PCs and OSs are complicated - you don't know that thing X is at fault simply because similar thing Y runs.

N8LBV,
It's not a big deal.. I didn't mean to "piss off" the rooster of the board!
He felt the "need" to defend for some unknown reason...(ya been there done that)
I may be new to realflight but not pc's or software.
Realflight was installed and working when I upgraded...
After upgrading the uninstaller, installer and games itself stopped.
I am not complaining I am just curious as to why the installer would not even launch..
The comment about API calls is just laughable...
I'll throw on my ears and watch the rooster strut around... oh.. and YES opjose I turned it off and on again! :)
Maybe my API is stuck? my hooks could be broke??? where is that pesky debug version when you need it?

Sarcasm

Tesadorn

Through it all, Jose will just kindly help and move on. The answer you get may not be the one you want, but it will be honest and intelligent. So what if his post count is high, it is a number and a number to reflect the help he has given since the software launched.

Every piece of software gets old with time. It has to retain customers, but revenue has to flow. It is not possible to start over every 5 years and abandon all your customers on the previous version. Real Flight is doing a pretty good job.

All of N8LVB's rants have been asked and answered, though not resolved.

Tesadorn

Through it all, Jose will just kindly help and move on. The answer you get may not be the one you want, but it will be honest and intelligent. So what if his post count is high, it is a number and a number to reflect the help he has given since the software launched.

Every piece of software gets old with time. It has to retain customers, but revenue has to flow. It is not possible to start over every 5 years and abandon all your customers on the previous version. Real Flight is doing a pretty good job.

All of N8LVB's rants have been asked and answered, though not resolved.

AGAIN I WAS NOT COMPLAINING ABOUT KNIFE EDGE!!!
I was simply hoping to get realflight working with W10.. Not mad that is does not work!
Fanboy Jose had no need to jump on me for my "opinion" If you call what he did helpful then well...

AGAIN I WAS NOT COMPLAINING ABOUT KNIFE EDGE!!!
I was simply hoping to get realflight working with W10.. Not mad that is does not work!
Fanboy Jose had no need to jump on me for my "opinion" If you call what he did helpful then well...

Actually you were indeed complaining and DEMANDING that they "fix" something that you asserted to be "broken".

You also stated that Realflight was in a fact "broken" ( your words not mine ).

Let's see:

"Realflight is what is broke not windows 10.

It nonsense to think that.. "

Nonsense indeed. Now that the fallacy of that has been pointed out, you're down to "well it was an opinion".

Yeah, right. A weak attempt at back peddling.

Call me a Fanboy all you want.

At the least I haven't joined the Lost Boys.

Last edited:
There is a DX9 package for Windows 10, which might solve some other games issues as well (Dx9 Webinstaller). The setup.exe or setup2.exe however stalls after a few seconds not displaying anything.
I tried to log what's happening with ProcMon (sysinternals), but I don't see anything strange there. The G4 setup does the same thing. Must be some library issue or security issue.

What programming language has been used for RealFlight?

Guess I have to wait a few weeks/months until the final release. Again, I do have W7, but that won't boot/start on my brand new EUFI PC. Bummer.

Last edited:
On some machines you have to turn off UEFI boot during Windows installation.

Once it has been installed, you can turn it back on, provided the UEFI bios has the crypto keys.

In turn you can usually reset the UEFI keys back to their OEM defaults to reestablish the keys if they get changed or screwed up for some reason.

You also need the x64 version too.

Windows 10 is on our radar, but as an unreleased OS we're not presently concerned by the fact that RealFlight doesn't run on it.

Launcher does not start (hangs as a process)
Realflight 7.5 itself does not start (hangs as a process)
Uninstaller does not start (hangs as a process)
setup from original disc does not start (hangs as a process)

Was working fine before on windows 8.1 pro

No anti virus
No windows defender
No firewall

User is Admin (tried running as admin anyway)
No compatibility works on OR off

Of course i have restarted and sacrificed a MAC to the windows gods... still no go...:mad:
What am I missing???

Thanks!

I was using Dos, before Windows was invented. I have used every version of Windows both in Beta and the Released versions. I realize that the Pre Release versions of Windows may have bugs and some software may not work properly. I also know that software developers are always testing their products with Pre Released versions of Windows to ensure that their product will work when the new OS is releasd.

It is logical that there are Realflight owners who are experimenting with Realflight and the Pre Released version of Windows 10. I am running both Windows 7 and Build 9926 of Windows 10. I have been running Realflight since it was first introduced and have installed it under various versions of Windows both Pre Released and Released. I find this forum a good place to share my successes and failures with Realflight installs.

Realflight 7.5 has been running fine under Windows 7 Pro. It also worked fine under the first Pre Release of Windows 10. It will not install on Build 9926 of Windows 10. I came here to see if anyone else has had this issue and found a solution.

Why are people giving the OP such a hard time. This is the place to ask the question. If anyone has had problems with RF under Windows 10 and found a solution, please respond to us.

Thanks!

Why are people giving the OP such a hard time. This is the place to ask the question. If anyone has had problems with RF under Windows 10 and found a solution, please respond to us.

Thanks!

For a good reason.

He came in here mentioning problems running Realflight under Windows 10.

Instead of taking at face value the fact he was running a program on an unreleased operating system, he proceeded to assert that Realflight is "Broken" and demanded a fix from Knifeedge.

When again it was pointed out that he was making an irrational assessment, he went out of his way to go into a derogatory funk.

It's a long jump from reporting a problem with a new unreleased OS, to declaring definitive knowledge of a piece of software being "broken" simply because one does not like the answer.

Last edited:
OMG! It was my first too! Followed by a Timex/Sinclair a few years later.....

And I still can't get my single channel pulse transmitter to interface with Real Flight, what's up with that?!

I started with U-control. That doesn't interface with the interlink well either. :cool:

Windows 10

Hello everyone.

I would like to report that Realflight 7.5 is working on windows 10 build 10041 witch is the latest build.

To get the latest win 10 build do the following:
open settings and click update & recovery,
under the windows update tab click advanced options,
select Fast under how preview builds are installed.
Then update your system.

Thanks for the report.

I guess Tesadorn's assertions were wrong, as everyone tried to tell him.

Microshaft finally addressed compatibility with older DX9 programs and games, as was expected they would do during their Windows 10 debugging process.

Windows 10 is ultimately not that much different than Windows 8.x, so Realflight should continue to run on it w/o problems once we see a full release version. Of course there will be individual glitches, etc. but that happens anyway.

Back