New Product: Great Planes RealFlight Drone w/InterLink Elite

Haha, this is such a joke...Real Flights drones are horrid to use IMO. I much much much prefer using the $5 FPV Freerider software to practice flying quads.

Zelatio, can you be more specific? What kind of flying are you trying to do, and with what kind of models? I have a feeling it's different than what most of the stock models simulate.

Flying drones requires a simulator? They pretty much fly themselves don't they?...while the "pilot" just tells them where to go?

Haha, this is such a joke...Real Flights drones are horrid to use IMO. I much much much prefer using the $5 FPV Freerider software to practice flying quads.

For FPV racing, absolutely... Freerider is darn good for $5.

For some very basic multirotor practice, the Realflight models are okay but the flight model is just not there yet for realism, but I'm hoping it will get better.

For the developers... what about those of us who fly fixed wing AND multirotors? Will the next Realflight include all of the Drone content, while Drone is something like a stripped-down and less expensive version for those who are only interested in that facet of the hobby?

I'm also still hoping for the ability to use both the Interlink and other controllers at the same time so dual-operator teams can practice camera work...

Flying drones requires a simulator? They pretty much fly themselves don't they?...while the "pilot" just tells them where to go?

You mean like airplanes?

You mean like airplanes?

Well even forgetting 3d, planes require a pilot not only for direction but also to keep them in the air... unless it has one of those AFS gyro thingies. While drones basically return to a hover whenever there's no input... don't they? At least that's the way my little Proto X behaves. It's so easy, my 6 year old neighbor can "pilot" it without damage.
I just don't know what (about drone flying) there is to pratice on a simulator. But hey... it's no dumber than pre-torn jeans.

You're an experienced RC pilot and you're thinking like one. :)

Yes, multirotors with advanced functionality like loiter are somewhat easier to fly than an airplane or helicopter. And return to home functionality does provide an additional safety net. (Remember, however, that not all vehicles have these features.)

But imagine for a moment that you've plunked down several thousand dollars on a DJI Inspire 1 with nice camera equipment. You want to put it into the air, but this is the first time in your life you've seen those little sticks and switches. Wouldn't you feel a lot better if you had some practice under your belt? If you knew:
  • How the thing was going to respond to your inputs when facing different directions
  • How to select the different flight modes
  • What the differences are between those modes and what exactly your inputs will (or won't) do in each one
  • That you could fly without fear of commanding it to fly straight into a power line or tall trees, even while in its fancy "self-flying" modes
Drone pilots have more or less the same reasons to buy a simulator that an RC airplane or heli pilot does.

While drones basically return to a hover whenever there's no input... don't they?

Depends on the aircraft. For my aerobatic multirotors I almost never use any form of self-stabilization, usually only when I'm out of practice on fast flips (over 3-4 per second).

Same with my FPV racers. The only time I use any stabilization is on some landings.... the rest is strictly acro/rate/manual mode, whatever you want to call it. Using stabilization when you're trying to race is very difficult and imprecise, at least for me.

Not to mention I use multirotors in the sim regularly for practicing photography and video. Practicing with my little GoPro rig (Tarot FY650) is one thing, but risking a $20k cinema rig is silly when I can fly one whenever I want on a sim, in any weather or time ;)

Multirotors are far from "launch and forget". Sure, most people can just buy one and fly it, but it takes a lot of work to be proficient at it. And sims are great for that.

Hey Ryan, don't forget, I buy for wounded warriors. I bought 10 copies in the last two months. We are moving towards multi-rotors because they can get into the air faster.

Our publisher hasn't made feature info public yet, so I don't think I can talk about that. But if it helps, I will say that I don't expect you to buy one.

Hey Ryan, don't forget, I buy for wounded warriors. I bought 10 copies in the last two months. We are moving towards multi-rotors because they can get into the air faster.

Ah yes! In that case, the new product may well be a good fit. Stay tuned for more details; I'm sure they'll be forthcoming soon.

Multirotors are far from "launch and forget". Sure, most people can just buy one and fly it, but it takes a lot of work to be proficient at it. And sims are great for that.

Don't sweat it, he was merely having a little fun at the drone flyer's expense.

In my most recent copy of the tower talk catalog, Realflight Drone is on page 6. Looks like it's multirotors only? Even says it has a few new models and includes racers.

Attachments

• Drone pic.JPG
    Drone pic.JPG
    95.2 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Not bad for $129 including the Interlink.
Not for me, but if you're finally ditching dx9 for G8, then you've got my attention.
Take all the time you need.

I'm guessing that the 3D fields are the same as in 7.5, but it would be nice to see an update for us 7.5 users to allow us to aquire the additional content that Realflight Drone has. I would even consider purchasing a "Drone" expansion pack so that we could have the additional content.

It also has multi-player so does that mean that they can join 7.5 sessions or are they separate?

Last edited:
I'm guessing that the 3D fields are the same as in 7.5, but it would be nice to see an update for us 7.5 users to allow us to aquire the additional content that Realflight Drone has. I would even consider purchasing a "Drone" expansion pack so that we could have the additional content.

It also has multi-player so does that mean that they can join 7.5 sessions or are they separate?

Good questions. I wonder if the physics are compatible... if maybe Drone content could even be imported into RF-7... or vise versa?

How about the 7.5 upgrade? Would that work with the interlink controller serial number that comes with this new version? Kind of a good deal if it works that way. Buy Drone edition and the upgrade to 7.5 and it's 2 versions of Realflight for $180.00. For a new purchase of Realflight, that's what I would do. It works out to be just 10 bucks more than the 7.5 interlink edition of the software and the purchaser would have all the new content.

Last edited:

Some incorrect information went out to dealers in the beginning. It was a very unfortunate error. Our publisher has since corrected that in subsequent material and has contacted their dealer network to inform them, but I'm worried some of that bad info will persist. So I want to be clear here:

RealFlight Drone DOES NOT include multiplayer functionality.

Back