Flying Sub 1

between -100 and -50 the first set of movement happens on the first gear
between -50 and 0 the second set of movement happens on the second gear
and so on and so forth.

the main mounts of the Tu-95 do something similar they also have some linear motion too. [EDIT] although much less pronounced

Getting back to the FS-1..
Legoman, you say multiple gears, but how are they linked?
Parallel links to their parent wing?

~CS_LW<-- ~CS_LG<--~CS_LW
and
~CS_LW<-- ~CS_LG1
and
~CS_LW<-- ~CS_LG2

or

and
~CS_LG<--~CS_LG1
and
~CS_LG<--~CS_LG2

Getting back to the FS-1..
Legoman, you say multiple gears, but how are they linked?
Parallel links to their parent wing?

and
~CS_LW<-- ~CS_LG1
and
~CS_LW<-- ~CS_LG2

or

and
~CS_LG<--~CS_LG1
and
~CS_LG<--~CS_LG2

something like this

Attachments

• Flying sub demo.zip
    332 KB · Views: 5
Thanks legoman.
You must have Max 2019, as opening the project gives a "was saved by a newer version" error.
I am using 2015 and 2018 versions.

Ok.
I was thinking in addition to doing great work, man! you also work fast!!
Was not aware MFS files could be downloaded.

New PC is up and running.
See a shading issue in planes imported from Max 2015 into Max 2018.

Testing the rudder, the smoothing groups were deleted and the set again.
Is not the surface normals being inverted either.

Have not yet looked into the spec map perhaps being the cause.
The shading patterns are not fixed-- they seem to change with angle of view, so that's a reason to think perhaps it is the spec map.

Curiously, the wings are ok..

Attachments

• Shading issue.jpg
    Shading issue.jpg
    326.1 KB · Views: 7
One thing to check if the outline of the parts in the main CS TGA file does not match the parts in the SPEC MAP TGA file you'll get shaded outlines like that.

As this is an imported working Max 2015 project, there should not be any alignment issues, so that's the mystery. Two planes imported to Max 2018 do exactly the same thing.
Will check tonight about the spec map.

The spec map does not appear to be the issue. Both the imported FBB and Flite Test BB do exactly the same thing, and the FTBB has no spec map.

Okay.. let us know what you find. It sure is strange the different version of 3ds Max is doing this.

Spent some recent time working on the shading issue of Max 2015 scenes opened and saved in Max 2018.
From what I've seen, it appears to be a Max bug.

Worked with the FBB rudder for testing. The rudder is an 8 vert, 12 edge object-- just a reshaped cube, so pretty simple.
1. Deleted the four outer edge polygons: shading gone
2. Bridged in the edges (i.e. new ones); shading returned
3. Deleted and replaced the side polygons to the new edges: shading gone

The shading issue looks the same as that when there is a bad structure such as double verts or a wrong number of edges (such as 5) that cannot be cleanly broken down into triangles. It is as if the info for the structures (and yet not all) are corrupted. Actually, this is not the first time I've seen a open/save issue across versions of Max. I have plane that started in Max 2012, opened and saved in Max 2015, and recently opened and saved in Max 2018. Was ok in Max 2015, but in Max 2018, several pivots were flipped: one wing is rotated 180 on x axis, and a gear door now pivots incorrectly.
When parts get corrupted (such as pivots sometimes getting messed up if the object is copied with links to a parent), it often comes down to just remaking the part.
Remaking the parts is both a drastic solution and far from practical, but it does seem to work. Having said that, we're all still looking for a more practical solution. And while I said looks like a Max bug, I'm certainly not ruling out the possibility there is something wrong (or could be wiser) with my build technique that a present version of Max "smooths over" and hides the issue, or that there is a new (or changed) FBX export setting that RF8 needs.

K.E.,
Are you guys having any open in older, saved in new Max version issues?

Enjoy a great week.

Attachments

• Shading issue.jpg
    Shading issue.jpg
    326.1 KB · Views: 3
  • Max2018 fix of FBB___delete fin outer polygons.jpg
    Max2018 fix of FBB___delete fin outer polygons.jpg
    289.6 KB · Views: 2
  • Max2018 fix of FBB___new rudder sides.jpg
    Max2018 fix of FBB___new rudder sides.jpg
    285.4 KB · Views: 2
Back