An-225 build

I saw a whole bunch of other videos and WOW is this thing insanely massive!!!
Agreed, I was impressed with the beginning of that vid. The plane must be, AT LEAST 1/4 of a mile away, but, I`m guessing closer to a half mile, could be even a mile..??, BUT, when you look at the cockpit windshields, and think that there`s a man`s head behind them, it really gives you a good perspective of just how large it is. And, my god, look at how many wheels it has. :eek: :eek: all in all, a masterpiece of engineering, no matter who`s side your on. ;)

I saw a whole bunch of other videos and WOW is this thing insanely massive!!!

Agreed, I was impressed with the beginning of that vid. The plane must be, AT LEAST 1/4 of a mile away, but, I`m guessing closer to a half mile, could be even a mile..??, BUT, when you look at the cockpit windshields, and think that there`s a man`s head behind them, it really gives you a good perspective of just how large it is. And, my god, look at how many wheels it has. :eek: :eek: all in all, a masterpiece of engineering, no matter who`s side your on. ;)

Here is some reference sizes

Fan diameter: 91.73 in 7.64 ft (2.33 m)
Maximum thrust: 51,670 lb per engine

an-225-www.airforce.ru058711gear.jpg

1-image-1.jpg

an225-7.jpg

There are some other large haulers out there too

Don't forget about the Aerospacelines Guppy and Super Guppy, Boeing Dreamlifter, Airbus Beluga. Of course the Spruce Goose is there in size if not capability. Give credit for pic to wikipedia.

Lots of interesting designs. I don't like those pictures of one plane in front of another... it is just like showing the fish you caught... of course you push it out in front of you to make it look bigger! Works every time.

Attachments

• 800px-Giant_planes_comparison.svg.png
    800px-Giant_planes_comparison.svg.png
    119.6 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Don't forget about the Aerospacelines Guppy and Super Guppy, Boeing Dreamlifter, Airbus Beluga. Of course the Spruce Goose is there in size if not capability.

Lots of interesting designs. I don't like those pictures of one plane in front of another... it is just like showing the fish you caught... of course you push it out in front of you to make it look bigger! Works every time.
Nice reference pic. 12-O NOW, who would do such a dastardly thing as to post a false picture of there catch of the day (pic.#1) Gotta be real, what with all the pollution C`MON MAN (pic.#2) Now, I don`t know what looks bigger, BUT, it sure ain`t the fish, even if he is out front, thus disproving your notion

Attachments

• ScreenShot427.jpg
    ScreenShot427.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 12
  • ScreenShot428.jpg
    ScreenShot428.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 16
Don't forget about the Aerospacelines Guppy and Super Guppy, Boeing Dreamlifter, Airbus Beluga. Of course the Spruce Goose is there in size if not capability.

I think it is not just the size but the amount of overkill involved in the design. 32 wheels 4 of which are nose wheels. The next highest is the A380 at 22 and 2 of which nose wheels (I think). 6 huge engines. Granted it is still smaller and has few engines the Hughes H-4 but they are still both impressive.

The modified airliners just look like they where "photo chopped" and just don't do it for me. (yes I put a c in photo shopped intentionally). And it does not help that every airliner looks roughly the same in design. An I prefer the unique/iconic designs or rare/limited production planes like the P6M-2, Tu-95, or X-48.

, thus disproving your notion

Not Dis-proven. The AN-225 is Larger than a 747 but not that much larger in length and wingspan or overall height. Gross Weight The 225 is larger of course but actual wingspan, the Spruce Goose has everyone beat. The "picture for Scale" makes the 747 look half the length.

Not to imply the AN-225 isn't a Technical Marvel, It is, but the latest version of the 747-8 is only 25ft. shorter than the An-225(also the 747 is 3ft. longer than the A-380), can fly higher, faster and go farther with a full cargo load than an An-225. so all that size gains it a 33% more lifting capacity over the 747. :) If we go into the special variants of the 747, The 747 Dreamlifter of which there are 4 of in service has a volume capacity of 65,000 cubic feet inside its fusalage while the AN-225 has just 46,000 cubic feet of usable space. That Buran shuttle was also lighter than the Space Shuttle that the 747 used to carry (62 tons for the Buran 68 tons for the Space Shuttle). Another not so well known fact is that the Columbia was the heaviest of all of the space Shuttles by about 8,000 lbs.

Last edited:
Unusual designs are cool, but the reason all passenger jets look alike is because form follows function. What ever is the least expensive will be the pattern of which others are cut. Burt Ruttan sure did not follow the cookie cutter school of design. As successful as he is, his designs are not popular. If someone is plunking money down, they want conservative thinking and design.

A little teaser

I guess a little update is in order:rolleyes:. So here are a few screenshots of the landing gears moving over bumps, takeoff, and knelling. I have an idea on the nose door movement and the interior so it may still happen.

Attachments

• ScreenShot1463938598.jpg
    ScreenShot1463938598.jpg
    436.4 KB · Views: 17
  • ScreenShot1463938664.jpg
    ScreenShot1463938664.jpg
    270.2 KB · Views: 18
  • ScreenShot1463938963.jpg
    ScreenShot1463938963.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 15
  • ScreenShot1463938971.jpg
    ScreenShot1463938971.jpg
    325 KB · Views: 16
Looks great Legoman, I gotta ask though, Do the main gears steer on the An-225, such as on the C-5 Galaxy, and if so, are you going to make that happen with this model ?

Looks great Legoman, I gotta ask though, Do the main gears steer on the An-225, such as on the C-5 Galaxy, and if so, are you going to make that happen with this model ?

They do rotate I am not sure if it is "freely" or if they do have steering. In realflight the rotate freely ability on 6 out of the seven is auto slide/skid mode at more than one or two mph.

On another note I shut off 3 engines on the right side in flight (you lose fuel flow to one wing) and their was no adverse torque or yaw that was not easily over come able. The huge rudders are to thank.

They do rotate I am not sure if it is "freely" or if they do have steering. In realflight the rotate freely ability on 6 out of the seven is auto slide/skid mode at more than one or two mph.

On another note I shut off 3 engines on the right side in flight (you lose fuel flow to one wing) and their was no adverse torque or yaw that was not easily over come able. The huge rudders are to thank.
I would guess, that they steer...? The C-5 can hit a switch (I guess) that enables all the landing gear to stay parallel to the runway (via rudder input, I think), while the plane is at an angel to the runway, (due to a cross wind approach), SO, no need to kick the rudder hard to align the plane with the runway, right before touchdown, the plane essentially lands sideways with the wheels straight to the runway. Not sure how far they can take that yaw approach angel though, I would guess 20-25 degrees max.?? While on the ground the plane can "crab" sideways (about 25-30 degrees to the runway ?) with that setup, I saw it at an airshow once, was pretty darn cool. :cool:

Last edited:
I would guess, that they steer...? The C-5 can hit a switch (I guess) that enables all the landing gear to stay parallel to the runway (via rudder input, I think), while the plane is at an angel to the runway, (due to a cross wind approach), SO, no need to kick the rudder hard to align the plane with the runway, right before touchdown, the plane essentially lands sideways with the wheels straight to the runway. Not sure how far they can take that yaw approach angel though, I would guess 20-25 degrees max.?? While on the ground the plane can "crab" sideways (about 25-30 degrees to the runway ?) with that setup, I saw it at an airshow once, was pretty darn cool. :cool:

Yes the crabbing is cool and is useful on landings, but they have a crank/knob/ratchet... on the dash to set the angle.

I was going to was it would be hard to set up and not break the landing gear on landing(I have tried before on the B-52). But an AFS gyro could line the wheels up perfectly every time. You would just need to set up a bunch of mixers for the steering mixed with crab angle.

Yes the crabbing is cool and is useful on landings, but they have a crank/knob/ratchet... on the dash to set the angle.

I was going to was it would be hard to set up and not break the landing gear on landing(I have tried before on the B-52). But an AFS gyro could line the wheels up perfectly every time. You would just need to set up a bunch of mixers for the steering mixed with crab angle.

I take back the part about the afs gyro working. The yaw afs gyro reads/corrects the roll angle not yaw.:mad:

No doubt, it would be extremely hard to set up in RF, regular functioning gear will wok just fine for the purpose in RF. ;)

No doubt, it would be extremely hard to set up in RF, regular functioning gear will wok just fine for the purpose in RF. ;)

The thing is I setup it between posts 57 and 58 and it would have worked perfectly for approaches <25 degrees of crab, if realflight did not have the bug in the yaw afs gyro

Last edited:
Back