Any new AMD Graphics card issues information.

HMorgan125

I am a new member that ordered the Real Flight Evolution/Real Flight Trainer Update from Steam last week.

My graphics card is a Sapphire AMD Rareon RX5700XT. I an running Windows 10 Pro with a AMD Ryzen 9 3900C CPU, 32GB SDRAM DDR4 3200, and a 1TB SSD Drive.

I can sometimes start and run Evolution for awhile and sometimes it locks up either on the start up screen or on the "FLY" screen.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the program from Steam at least 10 times with Windows Defender either on or off.

I have used both the newest AMD graphics driver and every previous driver suggestion that has been referenced as "working" on these forums.

Real Flight Trainer Edition works great without any issues everyime that I start it up.

Is there any "new" data or suggestions as to how to get a system with an AMD RX... graphics card to run Real Flight Evolution consistantly?

Thanks in advance for your help.

This fixed ALL my issues with Real Flight Evolution crashing on my 7900xtx with current drivers

Go to Steam
Go to Library
Left Click on Real Flight Evolution
then
Properties > Betas > dxvk -intel -fix

I know it says Intel - it works!
I have an 5800x3d and a 7900xtx
This damn program was crashing ALL the time

Downloaded the dxvk -intel -fix and it hasn't crashed once and no missing textures

That is good news, I was hoping someone with AMD graphics would test the DXVK beta fix.
Maybe the Realflight team will test the d3d9.dll on their AMD systems, I remember Ryan Douglas saying they had recently purchased an AMD card for testing with various AMD drivers, would be a bonus for the development team to test and advise AMD users of compatibility.

Did the email from Horizon Hobby' support staff recommend using the "intel-dxvk-fix" beta with AMD Graphics? Maybe they have performed testing already.

Did the email from Horizon Hobby' support staff recommend using the "intel-dxvk-fix" beta with AMD Graphics? Maybe they have performed testing already.
I had spoken to them twice by telephone and sent them an e-mail outlining the problems with the simulation crashing. I also sent them the specifications on my system:
ASUS B550 Plua TUF Gaming motherboard
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X CPU
32GB SDRAM DDR4 3200
Seagate FireCuda 1TB SSD Drive
Sapphire Radeon RX5700XT Graphics Card
AMD 23.4.1 graphics card driver (current/newest version) I have tried earlier versions with the same issue
Windows 10 Pro 64bit Operating System

Although they did not mention any specific testing their last e-mail specifically told me exactly how to locate the beta on Steam and how to download it to my system.

I have also just recently installed the newest AMD driver for my card (23.4.2) and it seems to work as well.

il give this fix a try too, been struggling to run with latest drivers since i purchased, my work around was running two games at once but that was still rolling the dice so to speak.

when i emailed horizon they said its solely down to amd drivers yet no matter how many reports iv sent or 3 driver releases later im still crashing

i havn't crashed since switching to intel-dxvk-fix, but i am on the January AMD driver - as its working im not in a hurry to update

Thank you all for reporting those results! This is an unanticipated side benefit of the DXVK-based beta version.

How can I D/L this? It's asking for a beta code that I don't have, and I don't see a way to D/L without the code

How can I D/L this? It's asking for a beta code that I don't have, and I don't see a way to D/L without the code
Here's what @asj5547 told another user about the beta code.

No need to do anything more, there is no code to input, just select which version you want and then hit the X in the top right of the Beta screen, you will notice the version you selected is now shown as Realflight Evolution (dxvk-intel-fix}, and if you go back and select the "None" then the name will show as Realflight Evolution (no suffix)

Here's what @asj5547 told another user about the beta code.

No need to do anything more, there is no code to input, just select which version you want and then hit the X in the top right of the Beta screen, you will notice the version you selected is now shown as Realflight Evolution (dxvk-intel-fix}, and if you go back and select the "None" then the name will show as Realflight Evolution (no suffix)
Thx for the reply. I did as you said, but unfortunately I get "An unexpected error has occurred" with the option to send an error report, which I did. I'll try a few more things I guess and see if I can get it working.

The directions for obtaining that build are always available here.

Are you saying RealFlight is crashing when you try to run it, or that Steam is crashing when you attempt to obtain the DXVK beta version?

No, it doesn't mention a beta code because none is required for that particular beta branch. You just have to go in and select it per the instructions. It is available to all 9.5S users and all Evolution users.

You may already know this, but for the benefit of others who might not: "branches" in Steam are different channels that can each hold a different build of an application. When you select a different branch than the one you're currently on, Steam will immediately download the build in the newly selected branch--assuming it's actually different than the build in the branch you just came from. (It doesn't have to download the whole thing, though; it knows what is different between the versions in the two branches and only gets what is needed. Software update downloads within a branch work that way, too.)

Branches can either be hidden from view unless the correct access code is entered, or they can be freely accessible and listed in the dropdown for all users. The default branch is the one you are in when you select "None". In addition to that, RealFlight 9.5S and Evolution both have two other branches: "dxvk-intel-fix" and "publicbeta".

No, it doesn't mention a beta code because none is required for that particular beta branch. You just have to go in and select it per the instructions. It is available to all 9.5S users and all Evolution users.

You may already know this, but for the benefit of others who might not: "branches" in Steam are different channels that can each hold a different build of an application. When you select a different branch than the one you're currently on, Steam will immediately download the build in the newly selected branch--assuming it's actually different than the build in the branch you just came from. (It doesn't have to download the whole thing, though; it knows what is different between the versions in the two branches and only gets what is needed. Software update downloads within a branch work that way, too.)

Branches can either be hidden from view unless the correct access code is entered, or they can be freely accessible and listed in the dropdown for all users. The default branch is the one you are in when you select "None". In addition to that, RealFlight 9.5S and Evolution both have two other branches: "dxvk-intel-fix" and "publicbeta".
Thanks. I'm a little dumb on this because I use my RF 9.5 DVD version to model with and use RF Evolution when I release a plane. I've have never used the dxvk beta since I still have an NVidia 1080 graphics card. The OP mentioned being asked for a beta code and I thought you explained the dxvk beta version not needed it once but couldn't find it so I found the post by @asj5547 and shared it with him.

An update to my issue. I uninstalled RF Evo from Steam and reinstalled and the program launched and completed loading just fine. Why did this help? No clue, and I don't really care. I sent an error log so maybe if the devs are interested they can take a look at the data, but honestly, since it's working now it's not an issue I need to worry about.

I'm still struggling a bit with getting VR working properly (non-VR is working perfectly) and it seems that's a bit of a mystery at this point. I know I need a 3D field and not photorealistic and I got the boneyard working once in VR where the head tracking was able to move properly with 360deg view instead of just panning around a flat screen image, but most of the airfields still look 2D flat screen. I guess it's just a matter of trial and error until I get the method of launching VR down now that I know it can be done. VR with the Quest 2 was the whole reason for my Evo purchase so I'm happy to say it's absolutely possible at this point once I get past the learning curve.

After I figure out the proper VR launch steps, I need to tackle the integration of my Spektrum DX8 (I didn't buy with the Interlink DX) so I can be wireless with the WS2000 link. I do have an Interlink Elite from my 7.5 sim version, but that doesn't seem to work well for me. I have basic controls working on the DX8 now but am still struggling to assign all the switches to be able to work the sim and menus with just the DX8, but step by step getting closer. Any links to DX8 or similar controller setup would be welcome if anyone has a link or 2.

BTW, I'm running VR at 1440p, 90Hz on the Q2 and getting 327fps, so it looks really good and is very smooth when I'm actually in VR, so good progress. Thanks for all the tips to those that replied here.

I'm glad you've made progress and are able to run now!

Strictly speaking, a 3D airport is not required for VR, it's just that PhotoFields are not able to provide the full benefits of VR due to their two-dimensional nature. So, 3D airports are recommended for the best experience, but you can still load PhotoFields in VR if you want. They do still work.

As far as launching RealFlight in VR mode, assuming everything is set up correctly on the Oculus side of things, it should simply be a matter of selecting the correct launch option for your VR setup after you have clicked the Play button in Steam. If you're selecting the same option each time but getting inconsistent results, that is confusing and incorrect behavior. It is worth pointing out that Steam gives you the option to say "Use this launch option every time and stop asking me". If you happen to have done that, it's probably best to undo it since it sounds like you do in fact want to run in different modes at different times. If you need help with that just ask; it's easy to change.

Re: controller setup, for your DX8 you should be able to just select the "Spektrum Receiver (7+ ch)" radio profile from the dropdown list in the controller menu and be done as far as RealFlight is concerned. It is already configured for you to support that radio. You may need to do some work on your TX though to set up a basic model in memory if you haven't already done so.

Back