Blender 2.5x

I am going to have my daughter draw my avatar on a shirt and wear it to Toledo this year. Last year I looked into an animated tshirt, as some of you will remember. But I'll just go the simple and much cheaper route!

bosshawg said:
Specifically, exporting the .blend file as a .3ds file and how well that works with the 3ds2kex converter utility?
Have just tryed using the native 3ds export from a blender2.5beta in the converter!,i get a message the file has no nodes.
Using the 3ds generated by Rayvels script in 2.49b the 3ds2kex.exe works fine.

How did you get to see the list of stuff in your screenshot? when I run the 3ds2kex converter it opens a separate cmd screen for about 1/4 second then disappears and I'm stuck scratching my head trying to figure out whats wrong.

Maj. Numbskully said:
I just yahoo'd
"Blender 2.4 tutorials"
and came up with a whole bunch of links

Yeah, don't get me wrong... there's all sorts of disjointed stuff out there. I was referring to the 2.5x tutorials that are on the main Blender.org site. I liked those a lot because they were complete; organized in a curriculum format that once you finished you pretty much had a solid understanding of the tool. So many tutorials are just one-off examples and you sorta learn things but there's a lot of holes.

One good thing is that 2.49 and 2.5x are perfectly happy to coexist without any special modifications to their installations. :)

Cowpig said:
The script in Post 72 is the one that actually works.

BTW, thanks for mentioning... I'll go grab that one.
(and I'll also have to install 2.49 I s'pose)

Last edited:
I'm going to invest one day in trying to modify the python script for Blender 2.56

I was able to locate the 3ds exporter python script that comes packaged with 2.56. It appears that the 3ds2kex script was based on this exporter in the 2.49 version.

The python script for exporting 3ds files is about 940 lines of code, and the modified script for 3ds2kex is just over 1200. There are about 220 lines that have been added. I'm gonna see how well I can match up the two line-by-line in order to see the modifications/additions made by Rayvel.

We'll see how it goes... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
xljedi said:
I'm going to invest one day in trying to modify the python script for Blender 2.56

I was able to locate the 3ds exporter python script that comes packaged with 2.56. It appears that the 3ds2kex script was based on this exporter in the 2.49 version.

The python script for exporting 3ds files is about 940 lines of code, and the modified script for 3ds2kex is just over 1200. There are about 220 lines that have been added. I'm gonna see how well I can match up the two line-by-line in order to see the modifications/additions made by Rayvel.

We'll see how it goes... :rolleyes:

It would be great if you can modify the script to work with 2.5. It's a much nicer UI then 2.49. right now I'm jumping back and forth between the two versions.

doug6952 said:
when I run the 3ds2kex converter it opens a separate cmd screen for about 1/4 second then disappears and I'm stuck scratching my head trying to figure out whats wrong.
thats because it sounds like your trying to run the converter as a stand alone program
when it's actually a plug in for 3dsmax

Last edited:
Maj. Numbskully said:
thats because it sounds like your trying to run the converter as a stand alone program
when it's actually a plug in for 3dsmax

3ds2kex is a standalone program but it must be run from a DOS command line.

It sounds like he is trying to run it by double clicking the program icon.

If its that big of a problem I don't understand why you just don't take one week with the 2.4 tutorials as you did with the 2.5 ones?
so what if 2.5 has a better U.I........if you don't have the correct script it's useless any how

on the topic of scripts ........... I can't believe that blender would release a version that was "unusable" due do there not bring a script yet
I believe that your Problem is that you have poor Internet searching skills or something

you said you could only find 2.5 tutorials
and could not find any 2.4 tutorials
and was one of the reasons you got 2.5 in the first place..............
and the on the very first try using a yahoo search
I found 11 + pages of 2.4 tutorials :eek:
and told you that in your other thread yesterday or the day before and what keywords I used to find them

I'm sure the script for 2.5 is out there somewhere...I would think whomever wrote and posted the 2.5 tuts must have one :confused:

Last edited:
Maj. Numbskully said:
If its that big of a problem I don't understand why you just don't take one week with the 2.4 tutorials as you did with the 2.5 ones?
so what if 2.5 has a better U.I........if you don't have the correct script it's useless any how

on the topic of scripts ........... I can't believe that blender would release a version that was "unusable" due do there not bring a script yet
I believe that your Problem is that you have poor Internet searching skills or something

you said you could not find 2.4 tutorials and the on the very first try using a yahoo search
I found 11 + pages of 2.4 tutorials :eek:
and told you that in your other thread yesterday or the day before and what keywords I used to find them

I'm sure the script is out there ...I would think whomever wrote and posted the 2.5 tuts must have one :confused:

The script is not out there. I'm going to look into modifying the 2.49 one to 2.5. But I will now attempt something with 2.49 before going too far down that path.

I already explained the situation on disjointed tutorials... and mentioned that I would go backwards in the meantime to 2.49. My search skills are sharp enough to know exactly why the python script doesn't work for 2.5.

Yes, please keep switching your posts on this subject, alternating between the 2 threads. It keeps me on my toes.

Back