Build poll "Golden age" Nov 2018

select the next build

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
A quote about the F3F "The F3F marked the end of the era of the carrier-based biplane fighter". Does a 'fighter plane' fit alongside the other planes in the poll, no it doesn't.

Thats YOUR opinion, and I certainly respect that...Mine is, that it fits perfectly on the short list of Golden Age choices Legoman presented for several reasons..

1) It is a Biplane from before the time of modern "warbirds" like Mustangs and Corsairs. Military, yes, but Warbird? Not by my definition. If "military" disqualifies a plane from Golden Age status, I'd have to kill of the Jenny, as well as Tigermoths and Stearman...the two "most likely to bee seen" Golden Age Airplanes today.

2) Its unique airframe layout pared nicely with the equally unique Handley Paige layout...a Biplane with retracts and closed cockpit is not your "usual" biplane.... while a Passenger Liner with seating inside a "modern style" fuselage with windows, coupled with "old fashioned" biplane wings, is not a common layout either.

3) The "Golden age" was one of innovation and transition for both military and civil aviation, spanning the era between Sopwith Camels and P-47 Thunderbolts. I think the legomans Short List covered an very interesting range of Golden Age (era) Design Diversity, even if all or none of them fit your particular taste.

Last edited:
Thats YOUR opinion, and I certainly respect that...Mine is, that it fits perfectly on the short list of Golden Age choices Legoman presented for several reasons..

This topic has been discussed ad nauseam and Legoman ask for the discussion in general to stop and here you are dumping on me for my opinion. So do the thread owner a favor and delete your last two posts trying to start the argument up again (and i'll delete this one). There's two sides to this as uncle twist said and neither is wrong. The F3F is a military Fighter Plane so to me it doesn't fit with the other planes in the poll, why is that such a hard pill to swallow. It's the 'single' plane in the poll that belongs completely in a different box. I'm sorry legoman I tried to stop but I won't be dumped on after I said I would stop and not reply.

Grumman F3F

Armament

Guns:
1× 0.30 in (7.62 mm) M1919 machine gun, 500 rounds (left)
1× 0.50 in (12.7 mm) M2 machine gun, 200 rounds (right)

Bombs: 2× 116 lb (52.6 kg) Mk IV bombs, one under each wing

That plane clearly doesn't fit with the others. Everyone including me has said it's a cool plane but it doesn't fit with the other planes in the poll whether it's a cool plane or not. Just because you want it to be modeled doesn't change that. I can come back and argue with you every single day if that's what you want. I told the thread owner I'd stop if no one dumped on me, you did, so I'm arguing my point again.

so we can post links too ...

And here are reasons why Military Planes fill in the gap between 1919 to 1938
The Golden Age of Flight

And a little history lesson of the Ford Tri Motor ... used by the USAAC, USN, USMC ... Last I knew was all branches of the military ... ;)

As for the De Havilland ... it too, found itself being built for the RAF, and used in other militaries around the world, although, it was in 1938, 4 years after the first ones appeared in 1934 ...

In regards to the Handley Page, it was evolved from the earlier Bombers built by the company, and saw reason to make civilian airliners out of them. And even with the one in the poll, found its way back into the RAF, although technically outside the "ERA" by a few years.

Handley Page type O

Which brings me back to my earlier statements about the Military playing a major role in the development of Civilian Aviation.

Why, because everybody wants to land a government contract ... LOL

Conclusion: all 4 planes are tied in with the military, at some point in history.

Last edited:
so we can post links too ...

And here are reasons why Military Planes fill in the gap between 1919 to 1938
The Golden Age of Flight

And a little history lesson of the Ford Tri Motor ... used by the USAAC, USN, USMC ... Last I knew was all branches of the military ... ;)

As for the De Havilland ... it too, found itself being built for the RAF, and used in other militaries around the world, although, it was in 1938, 4 years after the first ones appeared in 1934 ...

In regards to the Handley Page, it was evolved from the earlier Bombers built by the company, and saw reason to make civilian airliners out of them. And even with the one in the poll, found its way back into the RAF, although technically outside the "ERA" by a few years.

Handley Page type O

Which brings me back to my earlier statements about the Military playing a major role in the development of Civilian Aviation.

Why, because everybody wants to land a government contract ... LOL

This is exactly the same thing, trying to prove your side of the argument with links to information. You are not showing any respect to the thread owners REQUEST to stop the argument. Hiding the argument behind links is all you did, easy to see through. Just everyone STOP. I'm going to start reporting anymore posts trying to prove this point AFTER the THREAD OWNER requested the DISCUSSION STOP. This is OFFENSIVE and ABUSIVE. PLEASE STOP ARGUING ABOUT THIS.

We had a healthy discussion about whether warbirds belonged in this poll about the golden age of aviation. Then it turned into an argument trying to prove each side of the point which ended up forcing one person to leave the thread and his posts dissapeared. At that point the thread owner (legoman) requested the discussion stop. I agreed to stop if I didn't get dumped on after I stopped but then everyone on the other side of the argument started proving their point again, so I started back again like I said I would. It's way past time for this argument to stop but it doesn't seem like anyone respects the thread owners request to stop the discussion completely so I just reported this thread and requested it be locked. It's turned into harassment and abuse. It could have ended decently but it didn't.

There's two sides to this as uncle twist said and neither is wrong.

I completely agree with you that, and I apologize for my use my CAPS when I said "your opinion"...please reference my earlier comment about "Intended Voice".

It was not my intent to dump on anyone, but rather to mellow the conversation to more of a "...well, I like bla bla bla because bla bla bla...." rather than insisting on command of THE definitive right/wrong answer.....for the record I did not chose the Grumman, I believe I'm the singe vote for the Ford Tri-motor.

I don't do "Internet Drama" I just enjoy conversations about History and Airplanes

And again I apologize for the CAPS. On second read I can see how they seem argumentative, when I did not mean it to be.

Fair enough?

Flip, you bust me up ... seems you have a discrepancy between facts and opinions ... and you want to hold the trump card ... lol

Last edited:
I completely agree with you that, and I apologize for my use my CAPS when I said "your opinion"...please reference my earlier comment about "Intended Voice".

It was not my intent to dump on anyone, but rather to mellow the conversation to more of a "...well, I like bla bla bla because bla bla bla...." rather than insisting on command of THE definitive right/wrong answer.....for the record I did not chose the Grumman, I believe I'm the singe vote for the Ford Tri-motor.

I don't do "Internet Drama" I just enjoy conversations about History and Airplanes

And again I apologize for the CAPS. On second read I can see how they seem argumentative, when I did not mean it to be.

Fair enough?
Fair enough.

Flip, you bust me up ... seems you have a discrepancy between facts and opinions ... and you want to hold the trump card ... lol

I think you're wrong I don't have a discrepancy between facts and opinions. Others have stated they agree with me. The thread owner asked everyone to stop, did you? No. This discussion can go no where and it was asked to be stopped so I'm trying to get it stopped. No trump card just doing what the thread owner ask for.

I can see you want the last word. Okay post something again so you can have the last word and I won't post anymore. You win.

Back