CH-54 / (S-64) Skycrane -- AKA my very second 3DS Max project.

I've noticed a few minor deviations myself
I pm'd or emailed one of them to you

also just noticed in my ref pics there are 3 rear windows off to the side of the crane operater
.......yours has 2 ? (CH-54)

difference between the 64/54 ?

Attachments

• Stj.jpg
    Stj.jpg
    396.2 KB · Views: 19
  • ScreenShot1295563076.jpg
    ScreenShot1295563076.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 29
Maj. Numbskully said:
I've noticed a few minor deviations myself
I pm'd or emailed one of them to you

also just noticed in my ref pics there are 3 rear windows off to the side of the crane operater
.......yours has 2 ? (CH-54)

difference between the 64/54 ?

There are many variations with the Skycrane/Air Crane, especially with the military and civilian versions. The Air Crane incorporated a modular design so that different accessories and cabins even could quickly be exchanged in the field.

Here is a shot of the rear door with the two windows.

That version of the Skycrane you show actually has an extended cabin so the rear window is not a seperate bubble, but joins the back wall of the fuselage evenly. Some of the variations are as follows:

S-64
Twin-engined heavy-lift helicopter, 3 built.
S-64A
Six test and evaluation helicopters for the US Army.
S-64B
Civil version of CH-54A, 7 built.
[edit] Erickson AircraneS-64E
Upgraded & certified CH-54A helicopters, plus one new build aircraft.
S-64F
Upgraded & certified CH-54B helicopters. Powered by two Pratt & Whitney JFTD12-5A engines.

Attachments

• erickson-aircrane-s-64e-n164ac_JPG_500x400.jpg
    erickson-aircrane-s-64e-n164ac_JPG_500x400.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Maj,

If you want to do that military version with the extended cabin, I can model it. I will have to forgo the water tank and hose. That could be the version we use for the hook version.

Maj. Numbskully said:
no thats ok
I'll just have pay closer attention to the ones I'm using as a reference to

But, Maj....What if I was planning on making other versions? Hmmmmm. Do I do the group project first? I do want to make the extended cabin version. I'm just not sure of the seating layout. I would also like to make other versions, but we'll see what happens in the future.

Here is what it might look like to fly the S-64 in G5. This is just a start, the gauges are each being restored, and I am nowhere near done. In this pic there are a few on the R that are done, but the "glass" is in place for all of the gauge lenses, and there is a lesser shine for the metal and plastic plates that are attached to the panel, but no bump map yet.

I think Matt's model best represents N173AC, "Christine", so that is what this CS will be, eventually.

Here is the real Christine's panel: http://www.airliners.net/photo/Eric...67014/L/&sid=a46cdda9bdd2b651febf66f39e868dff

And her outers: http://www.airliners.net/photo/Eric...49370/L/&sid=a46cdda9bdd2b651febf66f39e868dff

There are just over 2 million rivets on an S-64, approximately, so I will be back in about 4 months with an update...And after I find a match for those purple seat covers... :eek:

Griff
twoeleven

Attachments

• Christine3.jpg
    Christine3.jpg
    411.9 KB · Views: 35
twoeleven said:
There are just over 2 million rivets on an S-64, approximately, so I will be back in about 4 months with an update...And after I find a match for those purple seat covers... :eek:

Griff
twoeleven

I'm going to hold you to that and will be sure to count every rivet once you are done. It's not like I have better things to do with my time. :D

I know the feeling griff
I got about 1.5 million left to go :eek:

Consider your self lucky theres about an additional 1/4 million on the underside that are going to not be seen on Christine due to the fact that they are hidden by the tanks
( you'll only have to go about a little way back see screeny)
keep in mind that these are just W.I.P. pics there are things that still need adjustment

Attachments

• ScreenShot1298924454.jpg
    ScreenShot1298924454.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 19
  • ScreenShot1298932236.jpg
    ScreenShot1298932236.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 25
  • St2.jpg
    St2.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Maj. Numbskully said:
I know the feeling griff
I got about 1.5 million left to go :eek:

Consider your self lucky theres about an additional 1/4 million on the underside that are going to not be seen on Christine due to the fact that they are hidden by the tanks
( you'll only have to go about a little way back see screeny)
keep in mind that these are just W.I.P. pics there are things that still need adjustment

That is not completely true. The surfaces are mapped and the tanks can be dropped off. I believe both tanks have coll meshes too so that you can mess up aircraft below you when they drop. So, I expect a good 2 million+ rivets. I will count each one.

Sorry griff :rolleyes: ( I shoulda known better with one of matts models :p

I've almost done with the entire bottom , thats how I know how many there are
so many in fact that I could not show them all in a single screeny :eek: :p

Attachments

• dhdfhd.jpg
    dhdfhd.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 17
  • Screefjdfjfrhot.jpg
    Screefjdfjfrhot.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
i have alot more respect for Both Of you ( Maj. and 211) for how much detail you guys put into your work. Most people Take Detail forgranted You Two Amaze Me :D keep up the good work

griff ...maybe we can work a trade of rivet/ panel lines to reduce the work load for both of us.............. its up to you , let me know , I got plenty of time cause this project is on hold anyways as I don't think matt has even done the "Tankless" lift heli EA yet..........have you matt??

Last edited:
Plenty of time? Are you waiting between coats for the paint to dry on the Grunau?? How many coats are you putting on that thing? :D

Last edited:
I meant plenty of time waiting for matt whilst doing other things ....slave driver :p

Was just about to post a update screeny of the Granau any how SO THERE :p

My Dad was a medic with the 1ST CAV in Viet Nam (65-66). He had pics of CH-54 with hospital pod under it. Wish I could find those pics.

Last edited:
Maj. Numbskully said:
griff ...maybe we can work a trade of rivet/ panel lines to reduce the work load for both of us.............. its up to you , let me know , I got plenty of time cause this project is on hold anyways as I don't think matt has even done the "Tankless" lift heli EA yet..........have you matt??

I haven't yet, sorry. I could make a version with the portable hospital as a detachable object...what? I am sick. I know.

Maj. Numbskully said:

I will happily trade my restored, bumped, and glassed panel and painted interior for your rivets/panel lines. I also have very detailed turbines to offer if you feel like I am trying to trade you a mule for a horse? Whatever seems fair, my work so far has been: Dash panel, interior, gear detail, and turbine/all that crap on the roof detail. I am about 90% done with those items, haven't started on the rivets yet. The panel is above this a few posts, but it was only 33.333% done when I shot that screen.

Whatever you think is fair Maj., either of us can do either of these tasks, seems like wasted resources for us both to do both. We can always make adjustments where needed, the bulk of the heavy lifting (pun intended) would already be done.

See attached. Same disclosures apply, plus more: early screen shows direction, things are farther along now but I am on a quick FSX bender right now, Interlink unplugged, pitch black in my office at 4am...Too lazy to fire it all up and take a new pic...Cockpit was nearly done in this shot, includes baked shading, bumps and specs that are not even started on the exterior.

Griff
twoeleven

Attachments

• Christine 5.jpg
    Christine 5.jpg
    367.1 KB · Views: 44
twoeleven
Actually I can't really do any of the interior.......as I'm handicapped by not being able to "see" what I'm doing inside as I only have 4.5 so that would be perfect

I have done the rivets for the bottom , and both sides of the tail boom

as well as the gussets for both sides of the boom , and have started the gussets for the left side around the cockpit area (all for the bump map)
also all of the rivets for the front left side that you see in the screeny

I also have the access panels that matt did not map in front

some of the graphics, (you could use the "danger " near the tail rotor)

there is still a lot to do ....................but I'm in the middle of prior commitments
I'm willing to send you what I have so far and will get back to you when I re-start on the rest

shoot me your E-mail addy and I'll just zip everything I got and you can pick n choose :D
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Helihemi said:
My Dad was a medic with the 1ST CAV in Viet Nam (65-66).

Well then your going to be a happy camper then ......right from the start this was going to be a
1st Cav. bird ! :D :D (yes I have it at 200% in the screenys to better see what I'm doing thats why the rotors look to small)

Attachments

• gggnShot.jpg
    gggnShot.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 30
  • fffffenShot.jpg
    fffffenShot.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Back