CH-54 / (S-64) Skycrane -- AKA my very second 3DS Max project.

You should point out exactly what I didn't map. Shame on me! If it's almost unnoticable then it will be another one of my anti-easter eggs.

Maj. Numbskully said:
I also have the access panels that matt did not map in front

I should add that if either one of you guys wants to re-color the hose and nozzle, be my guest. That is the hardest work I've done to the CS for this model. If you think it looks ok then leave it, but if you can make it look better then feel free to modify it. I just had to see what it would look like.

I think the hose looks fine ..

and I should correct my previous statement about the access panel doors
they were not modeled or mapped ! :p .....................not that there really was a need to
they're nothing a good bump map can't handle :D :D

Maj. Numbskully said:
twoeleven
Actually I can't really do any of the interior.......as I'm handicapped by not being able to "see" what I'm doing inside as I only have 4.5 so that would be perfect

Deal. I regret my delay, I have had the unfortunate task of helping a friend's family during their time of need...I have been physically and mentally absent and my tablet has spider webs on it. Things seem to be getting back to normal, and I hope to get back underway here in a few days.

@ Maj: PM sent, I will return to you a complete interior and dash, the only thing that defines this interior as Christine's is the light purple seat covers and her signature missing gauges...I'm pretty confident you've got that covered, even without the inside view ;) You may use anything you want, the engines the gear, whatever, or modify to fit your needs. I love a good trade, thank you.

@ Matt: I found another one of your anti-Easter eggs, and I am requesting some mappage...The gear on the "E" has a painted lower section and scissoring thingy (I'm an ARTIST, not an aerospace engineer...) then the chrome ram that goes up into the airframe. I can duplicate that look on the steering gear, but the main gear map needs a bit of help to get closer to the attached ref shot. THANKS!!!

Griff
twoeleven

Attachments

• 25.jpg
    25.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
One thing about working with me Griff, is you don't ever need to feel rushed or apologetic for taking longer than you expect. If I want something done quickly I'll do it myself, though I may leave a great many things absent should I go that route. If I want high quality, I go to you and maj. or I take longer myself, and I expect you not to make my projects more important over life's other inconviniences and whatnot. This is a hobby and people can wait as long as we make them wait. :D

When I get the time myself, I'll look at that landing gear thing-a-ma-bob and forward any updates on over.

twoeleven said:
Deal. I regret my delay, I have had the unfortunate task of helping a friend's family during their time of need...I have been physically and mentally absent and my tablet has spider webs on it. Things seem to be getting back to normal, and I hope to get back underway here in a few days.

@ Maj: PM sent, I will return to you a complete interior and dash, the only thing that defines this interior as Christine's is the light purple seat covers and her signature missing gauges...I'm pretty confident you've got that covered, even without the inside view ;) You may use anything you want, the engines the gear, whatever, or modify to fit your needs. I love a good trade, thank you.

@ Matt: I found another one of your anti-Easter eggs, and I am requesting some mappage...The gear on the "E" has a painted lower section and scissoring thingy (I'm an ARTIST, not an aerospace engineer...) then the chrome ram that goes up into the airframe. I can duplicate that look on the steering gear, but the main gear map needs a bit of help to get closer to the attached ref shot. THANKS!!!

Griff
twoeleven

I appreciate the thoughts, I am excited to get this one done as well. I have many other areas to work on, we can do the main gear last if needed...Just wanted to let you know because the front I have matching nicely, and it would only be a small adjustment. Maybe better to wait on that detail anyway, just incase we find something else that needs a tweak.

Thanks,

Griff
twoeleven

I just got Phoenix yesterday and got to try their Skycrane. I honestly like everything about my model more than theirs. I'm not gloating, but I like the way mine looks better as it's more accurate in a number of aspects, such as 5 blades compared to 6, and the conduit on the left and right side is accurate on my model but is wrong on theirs. I also like the flight characteristics of mine much more than theirs eventhough I still haven't solved my blade tracking (appearance) issue yet.

Anyhow, I know KE doesn't like the competition mentioned in their forums, but I felt since KE gets two thumbs up above the other sim, I would be ok to say something. Realflight is definitely more feature rich than other sims and eventhough I branched out, I'll never leave home. (I know this is sappy. LOL)

mwilson914 said:
Anyhow, I know KE doesn't like the competition mentioned in their forums,
I don't recall them saying that. I think KE would appreciate hearing if RF was worse than the competion, and why.

jeffpn said:
I don't recall them saying that. I think KE would appreciate hearing if RF was worse than the competion, and why.

I figure KE appreciates users mentioning where the software can be improved, but I figured bringing specific matters of the competition might be gray area. I actually have some things I would like to bring to light so maybe I could start a new thread on that. I just know that the way I bring attention to a subject regarding the competition is ok, but what tends to happen here is the competition supporters tend to get carried away with their opinions.

I wish that we could have a good discussion about the differences between the major RC sim products without it deteriorating into a quagmire. I have both products and others have more sims than I...

I bought Phoenix because I was told that it was a better heli simulator. I am testing both now.

Probably not a good place to host this discussion. I can tell you one thing, the modeler community with Real Flight is a VERY strong point for purchasing.

I also agree the Skycrane modeled here is very strongly favored against the Phoenix version... I sure wish we could get the rotor disk figured out to track the blades.

Last edited:
12oclockhigh said:
I wish that we could have a good discussion about the differences between the major RC sim products without it deteriorating into a quagmire. I have both products and others have more sims than I...

I bought Phoenix because I was told that it was a better heli simulator. I am testing both now.

Probably not a good place to host this discussion. I can tell you one thing, the modeler community with Real Flight is a VERY strong point for purchasing.

I also agree the Skycrane modeled here is very strongly favored against the Phoenix version... I sure wish we could get the rotor disk figured out to track the blades.

My 2 cents on the rotor issue. If the attach points are off of plane by the smallest fraction the track will be scattered. Just from real life experience with heliccopters.

Just a thought. :confused:

Deewng said:
My 2 cents on the rotor issue. If the attach points are off of plane by the smallest fraction the track will be scattered. Just from real life experience with heliccopters.

Just a thought. :confused:

Yeah, I've looked into this on my model, but all my pivot points are in-line relative to each other. I think part of the problem is actually with the gyros on the head. I've noticed this "tracking" issue on other multi-blade heli AV's I've made into flybarless--especially larger helis.

I'm sure time will solve more of the problem. We have lots of time to get this bird to the swaps. I think Maj and Twoeleven can only physically do 5,000+ rivets a day. That should be many months of work to get to the 2 1/2 million rivets. My models will physically damage peoples eyes.

Did I just say my models are an eye sore? Ouch! :(

mwilson914 said:
Yeah, I've looked into this on my model, but all my pivot points are in-line relative to each other. I think part of the problem is actually with the gyros on the head. I've noticed this "tracking" issue on other multi-blade heli AV's I've made into flybarless--especially larger helis.

I'm sure time will solve more of the problem. We have lots of time to get this bird to the swaps. I think Maj and Twoeleven can only physically do 5,000+ rivets a day. That should be many months of work to get to the 2 1/2 million rivets. My models will physically damage peoples eyes.

Did I just say my models are an eye sore? Ouch! :(

Let us say they are well detailed and pleasing to the decerning eye..... :D

Stupid question but are all attachment points on the arms themselves in sure vertical alignment? :p

very nice work(soo far...)

that sky crane is looking realgood,from the looks of the photos it is really looking scale for a heli of giant stature.very nice by the way.but wat i wanted to say was from my point off view,well as an amature flyer even though i fly helis from 250 size electric too the t_rex 700,i wanted to ask if i can test the model to see if that even amature flyers can enjoy. i understand if u want me to wait for it to make it to the swaps and stuff.and yea i could wait but i rlly want to test this thing.

Razorb25

razorb25 said:
that sky crane is looking realgood,from the looks of the photos it is really looking scale for a heli of giant stature.very nice by the way.but wat i wanted to say was from my point off view,well as an amature flyer even though i fly helis from 250 size electric too the t_rex 700,i wanted to ask if i can test the model to see if that even amature flyers can enjoy. i understand if u want me to wait for it to make it to the swaps and stuff.and yea i could wait but i rlly want to test this thing.
it is advailble on matts website but you need the password

thanx matt

thanx dude,i love it.even though no color scheme still very nice.i am without a doubt that everybody will get this heli on the swaps.also very stable very good detailing,and maureablility(cant spell2day)but dude nice job.

Razorb29

Did he say that everybody will get this heli? No pressure, Matt. It'd better be good! I'll include the rest of my post in a text message.

what i meant by that is...

what i meant by this is everybody will want to download this srry for the confusion lol

Razorb25

Rotor blade issues Solved

I know at one point there was a discussion on the Rotor blades having a problem.

Well here is the cure for them. Even though I'm probably too late.

Here are the whats and whys with notes included on each. post 1 of 2

Last edited:
Back