CH-54 / (S-64) Skycrane -- AKA my very second 3DS Max project.

2786 current RC style head
6518 original scale head

<inside Matt's head>

hmmmmm.......hmmmmm.....hmmmmmmm. Maybe go shooting in the woods this weekend instead of going to see Alan Szabo Jr. and Matt Botos at the funfly this weekend. hmmmm...

Not to worry blades are imported as a separate kex and have no poly impact on the model itself.

Not to worry blades are imported as a separate kex and have no poly impact on the model itself.

Good to know. I'm still trying to figure out my game plan moving forward. For now, I'm turning off my PC and going to destroy part of my brain with TV.

LoL ...
I'm glad this project has a lot in common with boofs avatar

I always wanted to finish the military version on this one !
(Air Cav. CS)
Remember , there are some mapping issues that prevented me from finishing this one
As memory serves me it was something to do with the cockpit door /window and there may have been something else ...
I need to get re-familiarized myself with where I left off

Once you get squared away send me an updated EA and we'll go from there

It was THE original RF Grapple heli ....it needs to be posted ..... in any incarnation !

Last edited:
Yes it needs posting. It's the first sky crane for the sim since its older than the KE version (flies better than theirs too) :)

Oh yeah. The G5.5 version of this heli flies beautifully too, which is why I WILL make it available for G5.5 as well as RF6. The RF6 version flies as well as it does thanks to TD9Cowboy. I'm glad I gave him versions of the Skycrane to play with. I just wish he was still here.

Glad to see you back around Matt.

You know, I thought about Steve a few days ago when oneder posted in a thread he started. Never realized that tomorrow makes a year since he went home.

Ugh! I think I am done for today. I stare at computer screens all day writing MOPs for LTE nodes and keeping our 3G/4G network up an running--typical maintenance. I'm a bit sick of looking at monitors today, but even worse, is how I feel on the underside sitting in a chair for 14 hours up to this point.

I gotta quit and do some push-ups and stretch and anything other than sit in a dang chair any longer at this point.

Anyhow, I've eliminted over 1,000 triangles today on the Skycrane. I only have about 1,500 to go on the Orange civilian version of this model. Once I've got this one all figured out, I can pursue my battle plan on the military version for Maj. I have no idea how I will make this possible since I know the military version already has major poly reduction applied to it.

Maybe bashing my head against the wall for a bit will make me feel better. :D

Attachments

• 8-15-2013.jpg
    8-15-2013.jpg
    445 KB · Views: 28
Alright. I just exported a new CH-54 and imported the .kex. I have some weird shading issues on the bottom of the fuselage that aren't showing up in Max. So many things about bringing this project back from the grave are really frustrating me.

I've seen this issue with another model of mine in RF 6 which was an issue I was able to resolve and that was the left aileron and some other part(s) on the space shuttle. I still never released that version to the public as I'm doing something else with it. The space shuttle however showed that weird shading issue in the newest versions of Max. These older files were created with Max 8. Now that I own Max 2012, 2013 and 2014, I can't go back to that old software.

I'm really frustrated and would really like to move onto greener pastures.

Attachments

• ScreenShot1377044626.jpg
    ScreenShot1377044626.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 30
Yes ,that's new
My older EA's never had that

Matt
assume the lotus position take a deep breath and repeat after me :
hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm........"
:p

Well, welcome to the club. I was beginning to think that it was me and not the MAX.

Hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Lookin good, man. You're showing lots of dedication to this project, it's pretty cool.

About the shading: We made a change to the KEX exporter a few years ago, maybe about 4 or 5, that made it respect Max's smoothing groups. Before that it would stomp on the data from Max, average them and spit out whatever it wanted. Now it requires that all surfaces have at least one smoothing group assigned in Max. So anytime the shading on one of your models is going bananas in the sim, that's probably why.

Also, I noticed that you're using what looks like a third party poly counter. You may know this already, but Max has a thing like that built in that keeps a running count of your model's tris. It's in the viewport configuration under the "statistics" tab. Ignore polys, select triangle count and total + selection, and show stats in active view. This way you can keep track of your tri count as you model, and budget things out as you go. That way you don't spend a bunch of time modelling extra details that never make it in.

PS - I saw someone talking about rivets earlier, and painting them on via photoshop. The easiest way that I've found to do that is to create a high poly version of your model, and if you don't have access to ZBrush, create individual rivet models and paint them on with Max's object paint. Then export and bake ambient occlusion, cavity and normals to tgas and combine in photoshop as needed. That's what I did with the Skycrane in RF and it works really well. It's quick and painless, and allows you to focus on things that matter more, like getting the rivets in the right spots, instead of keeping your lines straight around relaxed uvs.
Try out xNormal, it gives good results with the right settings.

Nice tips. The polygon counter he shows in his last screenshot is actually located under the hammer tab>more>polygon counter. Its the one I use all the time.

Lookin good, man. You're showing lots of dedication to this project, it's pretty cool.

About the shading: We made a change to the KEX exporter a few years ago, maybe about 4 or 5, that made it respect Max's smoothing groups. Before that it would stomp on the data from Max, average them and spit out whatever it wanted. Now it requires that all surfaces have at least one smoothing group assigned in Max. So anytime the shading on one of your models is going bananas in the sim, that's probably why.

Also, I noticed that you're using what looks like a third party poly counter. You may know this already, but Max has a thing like that built in that keeps a running count of your model's tris. It's in the viewport configuration under the "statistics" tab. Ignore polys, select triangle count and total + selection, and show stats in active view. This way you can keep track of your tri count as you model, and budget things out as you go. That way you don't spend a bunch of time modelling extra details that never make it in.

PS - I saw someone talking about rivets earlier, and painting them on via photoshop. The easiest way that I've found to do that is to create a high poly version of your model, and if you don't have access to ZBrush, create individual rivet models and paint them on with Max's object paint. Then export and bake ambient occlusion, cavity and normals to tgas and combine in photoshop as needed. That's what I did with the Skycrane in RF and it works really well. It's quick and painless, and allows you to focus on things that matter more, like getting the rivets in the right spots, instead of keeping your lines straight around relaxed uvs.
Try out xNormal, it gives good results with the right settings.

Thanks for all the tips! I will be getting back to finishing up this project as soon as I finish the ASK-21. I will be sure to reference your post for the tips.

Back