CH-54 / (S-64) Skycrane -- AKA my very second 3DS Max project.

td9cowboy said:
.....So easy a cave man could move freight :D

:mad: That is so not cool. Not cool at all. I just can't believe this!

Attachments

• Matt reading T9coboy's caveman remark.jpg
    Matt reading T9coboy's caveman remark.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 15
I still can't quit laughing. I've managed to knock joes sign over a couple times but still can't get that skid hooked. There must be 2G worth of T-rex parts scattered around out there on that desert. Quite challenging to say the least. Wouldn't it be cool to have a little KE gnome with a little(or maybe a big) loop on his hat. We could play hide and seek in multiplayer! Or have five guys line up and see who could snatch him up first! Think what a hoot that would be :D

Last edited:
Well...I don't think the sign can be picked up. It's almost like KE thought of this day and designed against it. I shrunk the sign down to 15% and used the Bell heli because of the skid design. If you get a skid inside the fold of the sign it becomes reactive and will sometimes shoot out of sight. If you get lucky and think you can pick it, the skid just passes through the sign. It's almost like the collision mesh is only on the outside and things can pass through from the inside. I bummed.

td9cowboy said:
Ha Ha Ha Ha :D I just about rolled out of my chair :D :D :D

I'm glad you liked the joke. I look completely different today now. My hair was really long compared to my preferred 1/4" long, buzzed all-over, homegrown haircut. Got up this morning and broke out the clippers. Caveman Matt is gone for a few months.

mwilson914 said:
Apart from the idea of being able to dynamically interact with 3D objects via lifting or towing, an incredible addition to the simulator would be the ability to define targeted axis linear motion. Currently the only way to move anything on an aircraft is by pivot points defined in the aircraft editor.

If a future release/version of RealFlight incorporated a means of linear movement, it would introduce a far easier method to define complex landing gears for example, or to move the air restriction cone of a turbine engine. (<--I'm not looking up the correct term this second.) Maybe these effects provide mostly visual candy to the models and that pivots can take care of the necessary tasks well enough, but say if you want to shift CG on a model you would no longer need to define a pivot point 10 or 30 feet outside of the model to get an approximate linear path.

I wonder if there is some design limitation with the software, or any other reason why linear motion cannot be user defined.
PPlace and I Figured out a way to get Items to move in a perfectly liner motion.
It was the use of a pair of scissor points , this gives 3 pivot points to be edited in the aircraft editor within real flight.

stuka-recoil_s_3BX.gif

I also have an Original Screenshot showing exactly how it is set-up.

PS, this is as good as it gets for now, and the suggestions you and td9cowboy made are worth pondering and a bit of action on Jims behalf. If only he was the one to Authorise the changes and go ahead.

stukascissors_reply_6XB.jpg

Bryce

Welcome to the world of it's so easy..........

Attachments

• MATTCM.JPG
    MATTCM.JPG
    4.6 KB · Views: 151
Junkboy999 said:

ROFL!!! I can't wait to show this to my co-workers. They are always having to ask me what the heck I'm doing when I take pictures of myself like that. If only I had a short history on the forums. I think a name change to "Captain Caveman" would be a deserving title.

I just through that together before work. I can do better if you like hehehe

Can't wait until there is a I-phone App for turning your picture in to a caveman.. Hummmmm hehehe

Last edited:
I just thought of a very cool application for the scissor joint/linear motion for a scale aircraft. A working telescoping refueling nozzle for a KC-135 or KC-97 Stratotanker. Now if only we could actually refuel the aircraft.

Afterall, at the field I often have someone refuel my aircraft from an RC aircraft.....All the time I say.

td9cowboy said:
If we had cable or rope could that not be used to deploy it as a winch. Is that Skycrane done yet caveman?

No it's not done. I haven't done anymore to it yet from my last post with pics. I wanted to have a finished model on the swaps this week and would have had one for tonight, but I lost 3 days worth of work on the Micro 4 Site thanks to a destructive 3 year old. He also took apart our car charger for our phones and we can't find the parts.

I bet you're considering offering him up for adoption :D

Here this should help calm you down, remind you of anyone?
IS IT DONE YET?? IS IT DONE YET?? IS IT DONE YET?? :D :D

Last edited:
td9cowboy said:
I bet you're considering offering him up for adoption :D

Here this should help calm you down, remind you of anyone?
IS IT DONE YET?? IS IT DONE YET?? IS IT DONE YET?? :D :D

:) Nah. I don't know if it was him really or the cats. They'll jump up on my desk and walk on the keyboard sometimes. The best is when they step on the reset button on my power strip. I've had that happen more times than I can count. I'll have the door shut and my wife will open it up to ask me something and the cat RUNS into the room and happens to get under my desk and step right on that glowing button before I can catch it.

That has happened more than once and that day my wife was asking me why I actually need the door shut because she felt like I was excluding myself from the rest of the family. Before she could start on her next sentence that happened and I lost 3 hours worth of work on a really nice colorscheme. I never restarted that color scheme because I get so PO'd thinking about it.

The best part is I took an old T-REX canopy package and modified it to go over the power strip and it worked wonders until one day my computer goes dark and I feel the cat pawing at my knee. My box was gone! The wife took it and put it in with the recycables while I was at work. I asked her about it and told her what happened again to another thing I was working on for RF. She just kinda found it amusing as she asked why that stuff always seems to happen to me. This is the point where I start slamming my head repeatedly into a wall.

Me being the cat lover that I am, I would suggest a burlap bag and a rock and, "Honey, have you seen the cats?" :D

Last edited:
mwilson914 said:
:) Nah. I don't know if it was him really or the cats. They'll jump up on my desk and walk on the keyboard sometimes. The best is when they step on the reset button on my power strip. I've had that happen more times than I can count. I'll have the door shut and my wife will open it up to ask me something and the cat RUNS into the room and happens to get under my desk and step right on that glowing button before I can catch it.

That has happened more than once and that day my wife was asking me why I actually need the door shut because she felt like I was excluding myself from the rest of the family. Before she could start on her next sentence that happened and I lost 3 hours worth of work on a really nice colorscheme. I never restarted that color scheme because I get so PO'd thinking about it.

The best part is I took an old T-REX canopy package and modified it to go over the power strip and it worked wonders until one day my computer goes dark and I feel the cat pawing at my knee. My box was gone! The wife took it and put it in with the recycables while I was at work. I asked her about it and told her what happened again to another thing I was working on for RF. She just kinda found it amusing as she asked why that stuff always seems to happen to me. This is the point where I start slamming my head repeatedly into a wall.
May I interject, time to take five to get a plan on how to prevent these things from takeing controll.

LOL, OK this is only slightly out of context since the topic of cats around computers was being discussed.

Here is a shot of a very great temptation that took nearly every ounce of restraint I had.

Attachments

• IMG00062.jpg
    IMG00062.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 40
Back