Crash when accessing new menus + how to change speed indication

PatrickVn

I just bought and installed the RF Evolution with the Interlink DX controller on my PC.
Everything works okay but I have two problems:
.i can not access the new menus. When i press the cancel button on the Interlink controller or the ESC key on my keyboard then i get an unexpected error and RF closes itself. I have found the way to get to the old legacy menus but how can i get access to the new menus ?
Also wanted to add that all the other controls on the Interlink controller work as they should, only the cancel button makes the application crash.
.secondly i want to change the speed indication from MPH to KMH since i live in Europe. Where can i change this because i didn't find this option in any menu.

These are my computer details for reference:
Computer Information:
Manufacturer: System manufacturer
Model: System Product Name
Form Factor: Desktop
No Touch Input Detected

Processor Information:
CPU Vendor: GenuineIntel
CPU Brand: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3930K CPU @ 3.20GHz
CPU Family: 0x6
CPU Model: 0x2d
CPU Stepping: 0x7
CPU Type: 0x0
Speed: 4044 Mhz
12 logical processors
6 physical processors
HyperThreading: Supported
FCMOV: Supported
SSE2: Supported
SSE3: Supported
SSSE3: Supported
SSE4a: Unsupported
SSE41: Supported
SSE42: Supported
AES: Supported
AVX: Supported
AVX2: Unsupported
AVX512F: Unsupported
AVX512PF: Unsupported
AVX512ER: Unsupported
AVX512CD: Unsupported
AVX512VNNI: Unsupported
SHA: Unsupported
CMPXCHG16B: Supported
LAHF/SAHF: Supported
PrefetchW: Unsupported

Operating System Version:
Windows 10 (64 bit)
NTFS: Supported
Crypto Provider Codes: Supported 311 0x0 0x0 0x0

Video Card:
Driver: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570
DirectX Driver Name: nvd3dum.dll
Driver Version: 21.21.13.7654
DirectX Driver Version: 21.21.13.7654
Driver Date: 12 29 2016
Desktop Color Depth: 32 bits per pixel
Monitor Refresh Rate: 60 Hz
DirectX Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570
VendorID: 0x10de
DeviceID: 0x1086
Revision: 0xa1
Number of Monitors: 1
Number of Logical Video Cards: 1
No SLI or Crossfire Detected
Primary Display Resolution: 1920 x 1080
Desktop Resolution: 1920 x 1080
Primary Display Size: 23.50" x 13.23" (26.97" diag)
59.7cm x 33.6cm (68.5cm diag)
Primary Bus: PCI Express 16x
Primary VRAM: 1280 MB
Supported MSAA Modes: 2x 4x 8x

Sound card:
Audio device: Luidsprekers (ASUS Xonar DX Aud

Memory:
RAM: 32707 MB

VR Hardware:
VR Headset: None detected

Miscellaneous:
UI Language: English
Media Type: DVD
Total Hard Disk Space Available: 659004 MB
Largest Free Hard Disk Block: 54817 MB
OS Install Date: aug 26 2020
Game Controller: InterLinkDX detected
MAC Address hash: cecc570335f630d79ff5c9dda7200559154fa857

Storage:
Disk serial number hash: 5422b465
Number of SSDs: 0
Number of HDDs: 0

Click on Simulation (top left screen) scroll down and select Settings, scroll down to Physics, left click on Physics and in the right-side panel look for Use metric units, click on the "No" and select "Yes in the drop-down box.

Attachments

• KPH.jpg
    KPH.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 15
Click on Simulation (top left screen) scroll down and select Settings, scroll down to Physics, left click on Physics and in the right-side panel look for Use metric units, click on the "No" and select "Yes in the drop-down box.
Great info, thx problem 2 is solved :) Thx a lot :)

I also just bought and installed RFE on my PC.
Same situation...
When the ESC key is pressed, an unexpected error message pops up and RFE closes itself.
I'm able to run the simulation but the gray pop-up box "To open the menu, press ESC or the Cancel button on your controller." displayed at the top of the screen remains visible and never goes away the whole time.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Well, I figured out a way to remove the gray pop-up box message.
There's a file named RealFlight64.ini located in the Documents/RealFlight Evolution folder.
Using a text editor like, Notepad or Wordpad, look for the following command and change Yes to No.

OpenMenuNotificationOnStartUp=BOOL:No

Save the file and you're all done.

You can also do it without editing files. This link goes to a post in this thread about the menu notification.

Still would be nice if they could give a fix so it would be possible to also use the new menus instead of only the old menus. Until now have not found any way that i can access them ?

I have old and new menu on my PC with RF Evolution.
I press the Esc key or cancel button on the controller to bring up the new menu.
Or I just click on any of the option on the old menu bar at the top of the screen.
What error messages are you seeing when pressing the Esc or controller cancel button.?
Have you tried the ~ showmenunotification fix? and do you have the old menu bar at the top of the screen?

I have old and new menu on my PC with RF Evolution.
I press the Esc key or cancel button on the controller to bring up the new menu.
Or I just click on any of the option on the old menu bar at the top of the screen.
What error messages are you seeing when pressing the Esc or controller cancel button.?
Have you tried the ~ showmenunotification fix? and do you have the old menu bar at the top of the screen?
I have the old menu now by editing the startup file
I don't have the new menu and have no way of getting to it
When i open the program it says: To open the menu, press Esc or Cancel button on your controller.
When i do either of those i get the error "unexpected error has occurred. Would you like to send an error report to the Real Flight team".
When i say ok, the application crashes and is closed automatically
The "showmenunotification" fix was meant for people who have the problem that the mention of press es or cancel button doesn't dissapear when they fly. I don't have that problem.
I do have the old menu bar constant now on top of the screen.
Everything else works perfectly but i have no way of using the new menus.

I haven't found anything the new menus can do that the old menus can't, other than being controlled from the InterLink DX controller instead of a mouse.

Okay, so you are running Evolution with the legacy menu, what happens if you hit the tilde key ~ to bring up the console and type in "showlegacymenu", and hit enter, that will turn off the old menu, next shut down and restart RFE.
What error messages do you get? How does RFE respond?

You can ~ showlegacymenu again to restore the old menu, if RFE is unresponsive.

Last edited:
Okay, so you are running Evolution with the legacy menu, what happens if you hit the tilde key ~ to bring up the console and type in "showlegacymenu", and hit enter, that will turn off the old menu, next shut down and restart RFE.
What error messages do you get? How does RFE respond?

You can ~ showlegacymenu again to restore the old menu, if RFE is unresponsive.
When i hit the tilde key nothing happens

FWIW I'm able to open / close the console using the ~ key but have the same issue with the ESC key.
Here's the error message and after selection of yes / no the app shuts down.Screenshot (2).png

Strange that the tilde key does nothing in my case. ESC key and back button do same as with you. I hope RF gets tired of getting those error reports and fixes this in an update. Bit strange to launch a new product where so many people have this issue. Love the sim for flying but not really impressed by the start up procedure where you have to read for two hours to find out how to get to the menus.

FWIW the ESC key is now working on my RFE as of this morning!
Must be time to buy lottery tickets or something. :)

Yes you should go buy some lottery tickets quickly then because mine does not work, still same error :)
I am on version 10.00.026 (can view this in legacy menu -> help -> about). Are you on the same version or did you get an update ?

Too bad, you could have given a donation to RF to put a programmer on fixing the new menus for all those frustrated users :)

Back