Creating 3-D Airports in RF 7

Disaster .... No Idea Why

I sure hope no one else has experienced this......

I had two .APs i've working on for months. Last night I finished some editing on a new Water & Rings ver 1d.ap. I've been working on this for about two weeks. This one has been a real challenge - tons of intricate positioning of rings. The last thing I did was test fly a route which ended with the Cub crashing. Exited RF7.

The CMB Flying Field Ver 3e was last used (not edited) a couple of days ago.

I just loaded Water and Rings ver 1d. The sim starts up with the crash as that was the last action. I clicked on the editor ...... It's all gone! There is nothing there. Being totally bummed out, I loaded the previous version - it loaded fine - but it is way behind in terms of changes. Its a toss up as to whether or not I'm gonna go back and rebuild.

Out of frustration - I decided to just fly. So i loaded the CMB Flying Field Ver 3e. OMG, its gone to. the shell loads - but there is nothing, absolutely nothing but a pilot spawn. I loaded ver 3d - it worked.

I have no idea what went wrong. I can maybe fess up to some how screwing up the save on Water and Rings .... But I have not edited CMB Flying field for weeks. Just used it to test fly some AV mods.

When I go to the Choose Airport - the little box shows the panoramic of each of these airports. But, when chosen ... nothing, absolutely nothing. Neither .AP have uploaded to the swap pages. I am so totally confused. :(

Last edited:
If I've said it once I've said it a dozen times here over the years ...
I always export an rfx as a back up in case of a disaster like this one ...even during the "build" before I'm done .. doing so has saved my neck on at least 3 occasions...all of them APs !
I know the frustration ..hope you get it back somehow

Real Flight Videos

How does one either convert a recording for upload to YouTube or upload the video directly to the swap pages? I think I've seen folks do this....then again, maybe not.

I do have a short video I'd like to post. I can always do FRAPS. But the Real Flight video seems to be a smaller file.

This is what I do:

1) Record video using RF's record function. You can only play this back in RF.

2) Play the video and use Fraps to capture. During this playback I use different camera views.

3) Take the uncompressed AVI that Fraps produces into Windows Movie Maker. Edit, add title, captions, audio, etc.

4) Save movie in compressed format.

5) Upload

Edit: If you only want to post to RF Swap Pages then the RF video is fine, but the Fraps raw AVI is usually way too large to do anything with. If you want to post to YouTube or some other video service, use Windows Movie Maker or other video editing program to at least convert the AVI to some compressed format.

Last edited:
The .recording file that RealFlight outputs is so much smaller than a video file because it's not actually video. It is simply a data recording of things like your aircraft's position and orientation at various points in time. That's why you can only play it back by loading it in RealFlight.

It cannot be converted directly into a video file.

FRAPS is the commonly accepted method of doing what you want to do. theluthier gave some good instructions above.

theluthier and Ryan

Thank you so much for the quick response. I have FRAPS and am using it. Just thought there might be a way to use the .recording video. But, FRAPS does work.

So I guess...Don't fix what ain't broke. :D

If you have an Nvidia card, the later drivers have built in support for recording anything the card renders to a file.

That works very well with Realflight.

Hey opjose,

I loaded Shadow Play (GeForce Experience) on my PC. It says that it can't find any supported games. RealFlight is not listed as a supported game.

How did you get Shadow Play to work with RF?

Jim

Manually add Realflight to the game list in the Nvidia 3D control panel ( not the Geforce Experience panel ).

Make sure that Realflight runs in full screen mode.

Set a or the hotkey to enable Shadowplay capture in GeForce experience.

Run Realflight and hit the Hotkey to start capture.

"Q: What games are supported?
A: ShadowPlay supports all DirectX 9, 10, and 11-based games. "

The game does not have to appear on the "supported" list for shadowplay to work.

Last edited:
Nvidia Shadow Play

opjose ....

I'm running:
System Type x64-based PC
Processor AMD A6-3620 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics, 2200 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date AMI 7.10, 4/19/2012
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 6.00 GB

I down loaded and installed GeForce 335.23.

It looks like everything is configured right? See attached. I run a session, do the ALT-F9 to start manual capture. Fly for about 4 minutes. Do the ALT-F9 to save the manual capture and then I do ALT-F10 to capture the shadow recording. On the right side are the capture directories I have set up.

Just not capturing manual or shadow video. Can you see what I have not yet set up? [ BTW, have you seen my invisible thread? :) ]

Jim

Attachments

• Shadow Play.jpg
    Shadow Play.jpg
    357.8 KB · Views: 11
Heh! :D
Nvidia S/W on an AMD product?

WoW!!!! :confused:

Yup, that will not work.

Shadowplay REQUIRES NVidia hardware.

It utilizes the GPU hardware to shunt video frames to a hard drive buffer and encode them for playback with standard mpeg codecs.

Since the capture is done in hardware it works very well, and you can even stream to other devices in real time.

This is also used to support game streaming to the Nvidia Shield controller/console.

Quoting Nvidia: "GeForce GTX 650 or higher desktop GPU required (notebook GPUs are not supported at this time)"

Last edited:
How to export RF recording for upload to the KE Swap Page

BTW....
How to export RF recording for upload to the KE Swap Page

0.5......... Assuming you already know how to make an RF Recording
we'll skip that..

1.0... Launch RF

2.0.....Go to ...... ^ Simulation Open "Manage User Files'

3.0 ....look down the tree and open + Recordings
Find the one you want to upload

4.0...click on it, By doing so an EXPORT button will no longer be grayed out ...use it ,

5.0.....the RFX rec file will be in the same RFX folder all of your other RFX Files that you make are.
Goto to swap Page and post it like any other rfx file ...a description is usually nice

Last edited:
Guys, I am running a GeForce GTX 650 video card. Maybe I'm not getting it? when you speak of Nvidia GTX 650 or higher GPU - I am assuming that GPU stands for Graphics Processing Unit which is a video card on steroids with gobs of onboard memory. Are you saying that I need a GeForce PC? Is there such a thing?

Maj. Numbskully - thanks for the step-by-step on how to pull RF video out/post it. I've got FRAPS. But, I'd like to get this GeForce GTX 650 video capture working - I am hoping that it is going to be very efficient.

Attachments

• GPU 650 and associated hardware.jpg
    GPU 650 and associated hardware.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Back